Sign in to follow this  
Olham

Surprise at landing - what a debut flight

Several unfortunate reasons had kept me from getting WOFF earlier, but today I finally had the time and downloaded it.

The download, install and patching went smooth as silk.
My only problem was, that no "Mission Result" appeared after my first test flight.
Well, one should read the FAQs - the reason was my German (non-English) system, as pointed out in FAQs Part 4.
After changing the comma into a dot for all numbering, it worked.

Setting up the buttons and keys was rather easy due to the well-made setup lists in "Workshop".
Only thing I missed so far was the free view around my aircraft in outside view.
I had used to do that per mouse in OFF, when I wanted to look at my craft on the field.
I can't remember how the view command was called, and which button it was on.

For my first flying I have bypassed training and selected "fighter pilot", but without any selection of a unit or region.
WOFF decided to put me into Jasta 7, where I had my first sortie under Oliver Beaulieu-Marconnay.
A Lt. Hermann Göring was also in our flight. The leader and his wingman had the brand-new Albatros D.II;
we others had ivory-white Halberstadt D.II.

The patrol was over friendly territory and eventless until landing.
But then! ...

Everyone else had landed already, when I came gliding in.
Suddenly loud barking Flak - black puffs low over the field!
I pushed my throttle forward and took off again.
Quickly checked everywhere around me.
A silver Nieuport came curving in low behind me - what a shock!
Blue-white-red roundels - a Tommy pilot!
I was almost certain to be lost. I was too low, and in a climb I was slow - he couldn't miss me at that distance!
But in the next moment his right wing got violently ripped off and summersaulted over our field,
while the crippled craft rolled right over and slammed in - only some 50 yards from my tent!
He had been alone it seemed; the Flak stopped barking, and I landed.

Gee - what a debut!

I was wondering where have you been?

Is it surprise that I had the very same first steps in WOFF?

Only difference I wanted to fly the new D.V and chosen a Summer of 1917 starting date.

I was posted to Jasta 16b led by Otto Kissenberth.

My first ever confirmed kill in WOFF, was a claim with no witnesses from my squad mates.

I got seperated during a dogfight, opened the TAC trying to find them back and saw an order
under it: "Descent and run to the nearest friendly airfield - (name I don't recall)"
So I headed there. When arrived I saw AAA fire from the airfield ground defence.
It was a lone N.23 which I duly downed.
In the claim form, I wrote the incident and name of the airfield (not being sure even about the spelling)
I didn't believe that the claim would be ever confirmed but it did!
I was awarded a Goblet for it too.
Sadly a couple of days later I got killed when my engine failed on take off... nope.gif

So sad but on the other hand so realistic!

Sounds like a good time fellows. I myself haven't had a chance to play WOFF yet or even install it, but it's been sitting safely on my hard drive since release day. In a few days, I'll set my HOTAS up and join you chaps up in the unfriendly skies... hope you're still alive by then!

Glad to see you are now in the WOFF skies Olham, it is an amazing new sim.  

elephant, I agree, very realistic.  My first virtual pilot bought the farm just this morning after little more than a week at the virtual front.

Javito, you must be chomping at the bit by now.

Wecome to the WOFF fold Olham. There will be many surprises for you. I have been the victim of many myself. I've gone through three pilots already!! :blackeye:

I had another test flight with a group of Albatros D.III today.

A patrol in friendly airspace.

I was fighting with my settings andTrackIR view, so I was rather useless.

But I had a sixth sense, when we were at cruising altitude, and soon I noticed just a few sparse Flak puffs low right.

Just in time - a single Tommy again, in another silver Nieuport 17, tried to get behind me!

I tossed nad turned my bird, but I was badly hampered by wrong TrackIR settings.

He hit me with a few rounds, and I decided to dive for the deck.

As I had hoped, he didn't follow, and I flew back towards our field.

After some time the engine cut out - he had hit something.

But I could make a glide landing and put the craft down intact.

Still though, I had light injuries and spent 8 days in hospital.

I had another test flight with a group of Albatros D.III today.

A patrol in friendly airspace.

I was fighting with my settings andTrackIR view, so I was rather useless.

But I had a sixth sense, when we were at cruising altitude, and soon I noticed just a few sparse Flak puffs low right.

Just in time - a single Tommy again, in another silver Nieuport 17, tried to get behind me!

I tossed nad turned my bird, but I was badly hampered by wrong TrackIR settings.

He hit me with a few rounds, and I decided to dive for the deck.

As I had hoped, he didn't follow, and I flew back towards our field.

After some time the engine cut out - he had hit something.

But I could make a glide landing and put the craft down intact.

Still though, I had light injuries and spent 8 days in hospital.

Olham, it will save you consierable frustration if you fly free flight in quick combat while you work out your Track IR and keyboard settings. Best of Luck!

Javito, you must be chomping at the bit by now.

I am indeed. I've been busy with work and family issues, and that does keep my mind occupied. But I visit this forum and SimHQ at least once a day to see how things are going with the release, and everyone's stories absolutely do make me want to hurry up and get things sorted so I can start flying again. Few more days I'm thinking. I just bought a new 240GB SSD, thinking I'm going to hook that into my PC, install WOFF onto it and let the good times roll.

Olham, it will save you consierable frustration if you fly free flight in quick combat while you work out your Track IR and keyboard settings. Best of Luck!

Yeah, good point, Robert - I guess I made the mistake to think it was like OFF.

But now I will approach WOFF like a completely NEW sim - which I guess it is.