Wayfarer

Second Internal Hard Drive - Any Recommendations or Warnings?

Despite all the help I have received on the forums I have been unable to convince our computer to like CFS3/OFF again.  If I ever want to run WOFF in the next few years I think I am going to have to try the 'second hard drive and clean install of OS' route.

The original HDD is 500GB SATAII (7200rpm), I am not sure of the make. I was thinking of getting something similar.

I have been looking on various retailers sites but I just wondered if anyone had any particular recommendations - or even ones to avoid!

Despite all the help I have received on the forums I have been unable to convince our computer to like CFS3/OFF again.  If I ever want to run WOFF in the next few years I think I am going to have to try the 'second hard drive and clean install of OS' route.

The original HDD is 500GB SATAII (7200rpm), I am not sure of the make. I was thinking of getting something similar.

I have been looking on various retailers sites but I just wondered if anyone had any particular recommendations - or even ones to avoid!

Sorry to hear you're still havibg trouble, Wayfarer. I've got a couple of Samsung Spinpoints that I've had for 4 years now and never had a problem yet - touch wood.

Western Digital Caviar Black for me ...  2 x 1To divided each in two 500 gigs partitions (General - Flight Sims - FSX - Backup). My system is on a 128 Go SSD.

One of them comes from my previous XP machine, so it's been working safely for 5 years already.

Edited by corsaire31

If you have enough space left on your present hard drive, could you simply partition it?

Thanks guys.  I have kind of skirted around partitioning but I might look into it again.  Just a little worried about sabotaging the computer for everyone else.

Regarding partitioning a disc and doing a clean original install of Vista from the disc.  Would anyone know if I would need to have another activation key? Some sites on the net suggest I would, others don't mention it at all.  I know its an unusual situation having the same OS on separate partitions. Wasn't sure if any one might have experience of this.

I know, I know ... but it's what we have, and it worked fine for years.

I've got my OS and all the essential drivers on one 250GB HDD and my games and general storage on a 500GB. Works fine, lasts a long time.

At one point I was running a dual-boot system with XP (for general computer ops and Track IR games like Richtofen's Skies and IL-2) on one HDD and W98 (for Red Baron) on the other. In each case I had only the OS and essential drivers on their respective disks and the games themselves on a third. With the dual-boot system you'll need to go into your BIOS on startup and select your primary boot drive if you're changing from the last time.

**edit**

As I understand it, the OS registration is tied to the CPU/Motherboard combo, so you shouldn't need a second key.

Edited by von Baur

Thanks Von Baur, that's useful information about the registration.

Sorry to see you're having troubles with CFS3. I went back to take a look at your "Event log" and you've got a couple of "things" going on: 0xc****5 , "appliction error" and 0x80****. Your hdd isn't the problem. There's nothing indicated at the machine level.

This is pointing  file corruption in CFS3.exe install location and Combat Flight Simulator 3 / CFS3.exe registry entries. This is usually the result of not using the CFS3 disk 1 to uninstall. How exactly did you uninstall CFS3?

The "long way" to get CFS3 installed correctly is to completely strip CFS3.exe and Combat Flight Simulator 3 entries from both system files AND registry.

I haven't been frequenting the forums like I used to; however, I'll check back to see what, if anything is going on.

plug_nickel

almccoyjr, thanks for your reply.  I am not sure how to use disc 1 to uninstal.l I have looked at files on the disc and can't spot anything obvious.

When uninstalling before I have used the uninstall option from the list of programs and then tried to search and delete for anything left.  I even tried the registry once but was not sure I got everything.

Ok, I just had another look at at disc 1 and found it under setup.exe.  I presume that's what you mean.  I'll try that.

Edited by Wayfarer

When CFS3 Disk1 starts, you'll have the option to Uninstall activated now showing up under Setup.

Typically, except when the moon is blue, and it seems to be always blue when dealing with "Micky"soft, you should use the game disk to uninstall CFS2/3, FSX. Uninstalling through Control Panel doesn't always work properly and usually results in a badly "borked" application.

At this point, I'd be surprised if running the Uninstall process will do any good, but it won't hurt to try. You'll probably have to do a really good culling in the registry for CFS3.exe and Combat Flight Simulator 3 entries. 

plug_nickel