Sign in to follow this  
Rigel

Enhancing View Angle

Hi all

I would like to expand bakwards my angle of vision (it should be nice using my trackir , have a glimp at my vertcal stabilizer) from the first person cockpit position. Ive read something about how to get it, in a previous post here , but I cannot finf the viewlist archive to edit.

pd:. I run SF2 EU pack, at the latest patch (July 2013)

Thanks

S! :happy:

Open the "_COCKPIT.INI" for each aircraft you want to adjust the field of view on. In the file look under [CockpitSeat001]. The example below if from the stock Third Wire F-15A_COCKPIT.INI.

Change the yaw numbers for the left and right head movement. The pitch number is for how far up and how far down in the front and back of the cockpit you can look.

[CockpitSeat001]

ModelName=F-15A_pit.LOD
Offset=0.0,0.0,0.0
Position=0.0,6.43,1.06
ViewAngles=0.0,0.0,0.0
MaxYaw=170  <-------------------
MinYaw=-170 <-------------------
MaxPitch=90  <-------------------
MinPitchFront=-45 <-------------------
MinPitchRear=-30  <-------------------
LightRange=1.5
LightInnerConeAngle=43
LightOuterConeAngle=60
LightAngles=0.0,-35.0,0.0
DiffuseLightFactor=0.5
NightLightOn=0.50
NightLightColor=0.5,0.2,0.3
Gunsight=GunsightFront

Edit: A question to staff members. I took a brief look at the KB and though I saw a number of cockpit related post I did not see anything that looked like it was directly related to this type of adjustment.

Do we have a post on this in the Knowledge Base?
Edited by KJakker

Good, But how i get the COCKPIT.INI? From where?

I have Windows 7 home premium SP1, the path to my SF2 file is (C:\Users\Alex\Saved Games\ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2 Europe\Objects\Aircraft\Lightning6), there I dont found any cockpit file, just Lighting6 file.

S!

(If you go into the viewlist.ini and make the following changes

LimitPitch=FALSE -----> look up down - FALSE allows more freedom so I use it
LimitYaw=TRUE ------> Set to FALSE to enable 180 all round
LimitRoll=FALSE

This will unlock the head movement on all the aircraft......)

How may I get the viewlist.ini?

Thks

S!

Go to the ThirdWire website download section under "Tools and Utilities" and download the latest CAT File Extractor. Here is a link http://www.thirdwire.com/downloads_tools.htm.

Once you have the installed run the extractor and then click Browse and go to "C:\Program Files (x86)\ThirdWire\Strike Fighters 2\Objects" or the objects folder of wherever you have SF2 installed. The Lightning6 INI files should be in "ObjectData022.CAT". Select it and then ether export tho whole cat file or just the Lighting6_COCKPIT.INI it to a place of your choosing and then place the file you need in the "C:\Users\Alex\Saved Games\ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2 Europe\Objects\Aircraft\Lightning6" folder. Then make the adjustments I mention above.  

You can get the VIEWLIST.INI from the FlightData.CAT in the flight folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\ThirdWire\Strike Fighters 2\Flight). You will still need the extractor mentioned above to do so.

I forgot about the VIEWLIST.INI trick. thanks for reminding me.

Edited by KJakker

I forgot about the VIEWLIST.INI trick. thanks for reminding me

Many thanks to you , but... Ive extracted the viiewlist file and I´ve edit it, Now, what is suposed I have to do with it? And another thing, about the twiking fir the lighting,how do u know the "ObjectData022.CAT". is the place to find his COCKPIT.INI file , is there a list or similar?

Thks again and I beg ur pardon x my english.

S!

Place the "VIEWLIST.INI" in your SF2:Europe's "Flight" folder. If you don't have a flight folder just create one. (C:\Users\Alex\Saved Games\ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2 Europe\Flight).

As for "ObjectData022.CAT" that is where I found the "Lighting6_COCKPIT.INI" file on my install. I looked it up just after you asked me.

It is often a good idea to keep an extracted copy of everything from the CAT files in a separate location so that you can easily search for things with out having to stumble through the CAT files them selves.

I have a folder on one of my hard-drives (E:\Flight Sims\SF2 Mods\CatPack) just for all the cat packs. I just made the CatPack folder and then extracted all of the CAT in the (C:\Program Files (x86)\ThirdWire\Strike Fighters 2\) directory one by one into it via the Extract All function. Once there you can search them by just going to the CatPack folder and using the Windows search function in the upper right corner to find things of interest.   

I have extracted and attached all of the stock LIGHTNING6 INI files for you.

LIGHTNING6_INI_Files.7z 

(If you go into the viewlist.ini and make the following changes

LimitPitch=FALSE -----> look up down - FALSE allows more freedom so I use it

LimitYaw=TRUE ------> Set to FALSE to enable 180 all round

LimitRoll=FALSE

This will unlock the head movement on all the aircraft......)

I wonder if It is possible by editing the viewlist.ini?, not to unlock the head movement on all the aircraft and get a 380º all around view,. but just modify the view limits and let say to gett a specific an generic angle of view for the whole aircraft.

S!

as was stated above, it can only be done on an aircraft by aircraft basis.

you'll need to extract and edit every single cockpit ini for those aircraft you want those views on.

this is truly not advisable, as you'll soon discover the lack of interior details, and run into the fuselage and cockpit framing of the external model when looking past your shoulder.

Rigel

The veiwlist.ini is by far the best way to go, you just make the one change and your good to go as compared to going into each model and changing the cockpit ini one at a time...... I'm not sure what you mean about 380 deg??? The range of movement feels natural enough once it is unlocked.

@ Wrench, I really haven't come across that many planes that looked that bad when you look around beyond the stock limits..... The biggest exception being the TW F-14..... TK ran out time ( or money ) at about 90deg of viewing with that plane.... Most other planes look pretty low res back there but your usually just glancing back there anyways...... If you are using trackir you almost have to make the veiw adjustment or it just feels wrong for your FOV to stop so abruptly at 90degs

sometimes a global change (viewlist edit) is better, and FAR less time consuming then editing every cockpit ini!! :biggrin:

Rigel

The veiwlist.ini is by far the best way to go, you just make the one change and your good to go as compared to going into each model and changing the cockpit ini one at a time......The range of movement feels natural enough once it is unlocked

I agree

S! ;-)

I got even better results by updating ALL the frigging cockpit inis because you can input greater numbers than 180/90. This resulted in a smoother Padlock and headtrack on your six without the constant head roll from side to side when the target is right behind or above you.

[CockpitSeat001]
ModelName=F-15A_pit.LOD

MaxYaw=190
MinYaw=-190
MaxPitch=100

Now I can actually dogfight and do the right calls...or at least more of them when I can keep my eyes on the target. It almost feels like a new game now so I think it was well worth the effort!

I would also like to adjusting the seat hight so that the pilot's head will stay inside the cockpit glare and framing when looking back, but I'm not sure which of these numbers to adjust...anyone?

[CockpitSeat001]

Position=0.0,6.43,1.06

BTW does anyone know if changing these values have any effect on the AI's blind spots or is it a thing in SF2?

-MiikkY

Edited by MiikkY

all things 3w are ...

Left/Right  Fore/Aft  Up/Down

in that order

will probably not effect the AI in any way, shape or form. they run on a completely seperate set of rules

21 hours ago, Wrench said:

all things 3w are ...

Left/Right  Fore/Aft  Up/Down

in that order

will probably not effect the AI in any way, shape or form. they run on a completely seperate set of rules

Will try that. Thank you very many.

Also good to know that the AI is not effected of my experiments so far.

-MiikkY