Olham

Keep this Airfield alive and going

Hauksbee, the picture is credited to SWNS (South West News Service), and I think it's a town in Cornwall called Sennen Cove.

Yep, Sennen Cove - I have been bathing at their sandy beach in 1973 (oh, the memories!...)

Cornwall is very beautiful! But you could say that for the most parts of England.

Edited by Olham

Cornwall! Of course. Sticking out into the Atlantic like that. I wonder if Sennen Cove ever loses any houses?

No, the people there know the sea and wouldn't build like that.

Sennen Cove is built behind a natural barrier of rocky riffs -

otherwise there'd be no beach - it would all get washed away.

Cornwall, for me also great souvenirs of sailing there when I was living just across the Channel.

I have a friend who grew up in Cornwal; closest I ever got was a few days on the Isle of Wight (working...).  But Holey Moley those were some impressive waves!

Cornwall always seems outstanding when I see it of British TV dramas: rural, rustic, cottages and cliffs. I wonder what it's like now? Highways, fast-food places, neon?

Hauksbee, just draw the "golden manekin" from the GoogleMaps scale into the roads

there and have some long walks through Cornwall (by clicking on the road in front

of you). There are still no highways - it isn't called "Land's End" for nothing.

(Soundtrack: John Surman "Road to St. Ives")

I also remember during celtic festivals of the seventies in my region listening to great concerts of Brenda Wootion.

Edited by corsaire31

...like this song? Brenda Wootton is the spelling...

Edited by Olham

I like Cornwall but haven't been for a while. I can remember parking on the beach at Port Isaac and hoping the tide tables were right. Also fishing off rocks just North of there was a bit hairy.

I live a few miles outside of Cornwall in Devon, and I can assure you there are definately not many highways - of course, there's a few major A roads, but most of the time you're driving along hedged roads only wide enough for one car. If you're ever in the Devon/Cornwall area, make sure to take a look at Dartmoor - it's a truly amazing place. I'm fortunate enough to live right on the edge of it!

In fact, the 2011 film War Horse was filmed partly on Dartmoor, so if you've seen the film you'll have a good idea of what it looks like.

Beautiful song, Olham. Is it olde English, or does Cornwall have its own dialect?

Edited by Hauksbee

I can only guess; I think it's Gaelic, which I think is Celtic inheritage.

Interesting, corsaire31.  So it is Celtic!  And so is Welsh, etc. I never knew.  It sure looks like Welsh in that song (very pretty, thanks, Olham!).  I guess I should know, claiming to be a ruddy Irishman, but it didn't look like Gaelic to me...

Glad I stopped by, at least for a touch'n'go! We shall keep this airfield active!

This is still home field for me and I only wish life would let me come back here more often, but they keep sending me out on the long recons!   :pilotfly:  Only reason I'm home today is because we are having yet another winter storm.

And to Cornwall, Devon, Dartmoor, and the rest of that beautiful corner of the world, I truly hope I can get back there someday too.  It's been nearly 40 years now.  Life is going by much too quickly and I can't seem to find the bloody brake pedal!

Being Breton myself and proud of my celtic culture, I had to make some advertising !  :biggrin:

. Life is going by much too quickly and I can't seem to find the bloody brake pedal!

Maybe that's because we spent so much time with our foot on the accelerator when we were young?

Well, I'm just posting here to keep the place alive.  I like it here... 

Being Breton myself and proud of my celtic culture, I had to make some advertising !  :biggrin:

Then I guess you must know the Breton harp artist Alan Stivell -

he is quite well-known by Germans of my generation.

Edited by Olham

Have seen many of his concerts, I had a good school friend playing in his band, (who became one of the best bagpipe player in Brittany and started a music school with his brothers).  I have been  myself since 40 years playing celtic music ( breton and irish mainly) as singer and guitar, mostly in irish pubs. I was still playing here in Toulouse at The Dubliners almost every Tuesday ( open evenings where everyone was coming with his own instrument against free beer for the evening...) I stopped a couple of years ago, but I still go and listen from time to time. (Have to pay for my beer now...)