Sign in to follow this  
Capitaine Vengeur

200 years ago: the fall of an Empire

This year marks the centenary of the beginning of what was once called 'The War to end all wars', before becoming simply World War One. But accidentally, it is also the bicentenary of another war that scorched as well the soil of Northeastern France exactly 100 years before, a war that already saw big armies maneuver and fight at heavy costs down there, yet with a swifter, less bloody and more decisive conclusion.

During Winter 1814, in the plains of invaded Champagne, Emperor Napoleon could play the cat and mouse for weeks facing three big armies, inflicting several humiliating setbacks to a Coalition in overwhelming numerical superiority in spite of more than half of his troops being completely green, and leading what many historians consider as his most brilliant campaign ever. Yet he was finally deceived Eastwards while the Coalition forces converged on Paris.

After hot fighting at 1 to 5 on the hills and at the gates, Paris fell on 31 March, 200 years ago this day, for the first time since four centuries, but also the first time in a very infamous series (1814, 1815, 1871 and 1940, with a close miss in 1914). Maybe also the further Western battle Russian armies have ever given. On 6 April, Napoleon abdicated. Just a stage exit for Boney however, for I suspect that next year, the Brits will celebrate as loudly as usual the bicentenary of the German victory at Waterloo.

• Like 5

And also, with the stock exchange manipulation after the battle of Waterloo, the banking system of Britain become property of the Rothschild family....  not only an empire but all of Europe started it's downfall to a bottomless financial abyss. And great wars.

Edited by Snailman

I've never considered Napoleon as a great man and seen 1814 nor 1815 as defeats. 

He was a butcher, good ridance. 

Edited by Emp_Palpatine

Thank God for butchers and "thugs". Without them, against whom would the righteous and the freedom fighter have to rally their cause.

And they're really rather indispensible if you want a good cut of meat.

Several celebrations have been organized this Winter all around Champagne. This week-end, I shall attend a minor re-enactment at my native city of Reims, where the Emperor had scored his final success on 13 March ("The last smile of Fortune").

One of the most telling places about both the centenary and bicentenary celebrated this year, is the godforsaken lengthwise plateau at Craonne. On 7 March 1814, on this difficult narrow ground, Napoleon could snatch a costly indecisive victory over an outnumbered yet dogged Russian force fighting a delaying battle (20-25% casualties for each side, the bloodiest battle of the campaign). A first obelisk was inaugurated in March 1914 for the battlefield's centenary, while Europe was still at blissful peace. It was destroyed as soon as September 1914 during the first combats that scorched this plateau for 4 years, as one of the hottest parts of the Western Front. A new monument was erected after the War, uniting a 'Marie-Louise' (Napoleonic young conscript) and a 'Poilu' (WW1 grunt) in the same movement, and bearing the big title '1814-1914' that summarizes quite well the story of that cursed plateau – and of whole Champagne, highway of invasions.

the Brits will celebrate as loudly as usual the bicentenary of the German victory at Waterloo.

Why not? It was a big british victory. Wellington did a good job. Of course the half of his army was made by german soldiers and the final blow to Napoleon came from Blüchers prussian army. But without the fighting will of Wellington and his troops the victory of "La Belle Alliance" would never had happen.

Classic french anglophobia. 

Edited by Emp_Palpatine

without the fighting will of Wellington and his troops the victory of "La Belle Alliance" would never had happen.

Sorry, but the fighting will was clearly on Blücher's side, not half on Wellington's. After Blücher had been driven off and personally injured at Ligny two days before Waterloo, the so-called 'Iron Duke' was ready to re-embark and abandon his Dutch allies behind, before he learnt that Blücher was still in the race, and more eager to fight than ever.

Also, knowing the psychology of both leaders, I can't but agree with what wrote a French witness and memorialist (either Cap. Coignet or Gen. Marbot, I can't remember which one). He criticized Napoleon's decision to try to shake and dishearten Blücher first before crushing Wellington, saying in these terms that the Emperor had picked his targets in the wrong order:

"Had Blücher had but two battalions at hand, he would have sent them to support Wellington. On the other hand, Wellington would have never marched to help Blücher before having gathered his whole army to the very last battalion."

• Like 1

Wellington is a good general, but the Spanish and Portugal campaigns much better demonstrate his skill.

They were also more decisive, Waterloo was "the end".

Several celebrations have been organized this Winter all around Champagne. This week-end, I shall attend a minor re-enactment at my native city of Reims, where the Emperor had scored his final success on 13 March ("The last smile of Fortune").

Well, the re-enactment of this week-end was a noisy and smoky success, with some 600 players (from France, Belgium, Germany, Czech Rep., Poland, Russia, etc) with perfect uniforms and equipment. I may add some pics later, but the TV report is quite telling (link below, at 08'42" – after the damned ads!). I may have looked ecstatic enough among the crowd, for I have been interviewed by the regional TV channel! (link below, the jerk with glasses and shabby beard, at 09'34") If you don't speak French, well so, it's better you don't understand the dullness I uttered.

http://pluzz.francetv.fr/videos/jt_1920_champagne_ardenne_,100289386.html

...If you don't speak French, well so, it's better you don't understand the dullness I uttered.

Diogenes can put away his lantern. We've found our honest man.