Sign in to follow this  
ironroad

Best "Kids" Show ever!

Love watching cartoons on my days off, especially the classic (unedited) Warner Brothers flicks. But it seems with these newer "kids" cartoons the writers are no longer trying to be subtle and are attempting to match Family Guy "shock" humor. 

IHMO subtlety and the slight bending of reality is what made classic Warner Brothers or the Simpsons (before the show went to crap and became a preachy family show) great. Although to be fair both cartoons, were initially made for mature/adult audiences. (Bugs Bunny and the like for adult movie/news reel viewers and the Simpsons for prime-time mature audiences).

I' enjoy off-color, tasteless, and politically incorrect humor and personally I never understood the crusade against-related violence-- hope Congress keeps track of all anvil or dynamite in the pants-related deaths. But it seems that the censors (which are government mandated) are allowing a lot of sexual or drug-related stuff to slide (although anything resembling a firearm or explosive is still heavily censored).

Edited by ironroad
  • Like 1

Haha, Regular Show is great, and actually has plenty of great shotgun action in it. 

Cable TV is not regulated. Broadcast TV is. So Cartoon Network, which is cable-only, can do whatever they want.

Now in practice they try and keep it "safe" to avoid the wrath of special interest groups and such, but there's no actual law barring them from anything.

It's been going on since Animaniacs, which was fantastic, by the way! Lots of double meaning, low brow humor.

I grew up watching Looney toons. When I was in my early teens, I actively searched for old, old toons like betty boop, woody woodpecker etc. I really enjoyed them. Then I saw a old superman toon from 50's (I think). Wow, the level of attention of detail, the smoothness of the animation was incredible. One toon of today that has the same style of animation quality in my opinion was Batman the animated series.

Anyway my fav looney toon was with leghorn & harry the hawk :).

Falcon

I'm a Chicken Hawk and you're a chicken! Now are ya gonna come quietly, or do I have to rough ya up??

• Like 1

It's been going on since Animaniacs, which was fantastic, by the way! Lots of double meaning, low brow humor.

That use to be m favorite show; however, I did not get a lot of the jokes till I got a bit older.

Cable TV is not regulated. Broadcast TV is. So Cartoon Network, which is cable-only, can do whatever they want.

Now in practice they try and keep it "safe" to avoid the wrath of special interest groups and such, but there's no actual law barring them from anything.

I always thought it was the channel and/or the type of channel which determined how it was censored and regulated, because even when most the cable networks switch to their late night  programming (except for  channels like HBO, Showtime, etc) they still keep things censored.

Yes, every channel has its own standards that it self-enforces. As I said, they usually follow the broadcast practices for the most part unless they have something to gain specifically. For instance, I've noticed lately that Comedy Central and Syfy have allowed mild swearing on late-night broadcasts that normally would not be.

But there are no laws preventing them.