Sign in to follow this  
Wayfarer

Started Pilot Training - Properly. Do I Suck ...

... as they say in the modern parlance.

Today I finally overcame my 'tweak-itus', stopped obsessive fiddling with WOFF and Facetrack settings - and aborted 'test' scenarios - and got down to properly undertaking the pilot training. It's only taken four months.

I have completed the 'Take Offs' phase and one 'Circuit', so far, in a nice, stable BE2.  I have ten flights in my log.

I have crashed four times.

I cheated a bit and used my test pilot, Algernon Crumpetly-Flim, with 'Pilot never dies', because I thought I might make a slight hash of it, but four times.  Oh the embarrassment!

For the first crash I'm allowing myself the excuse that I was so taken with enjoying using Facetrack and really looking at everything for the first time (just the shadows moving across the instrument panel were a wonder) that it's understandable that I forgot I really needed to be higher than the trees.

For the rest, I have to accept I am rubbish at achieving and maintaining the indicated speeds and altitudes for the various stages of each flight.  I can land the old kite fine in my own way but, of course, that doesn't count for the training, and in trying to keep within the acceptable limits of the designated height/speed I lose all sense of what's required to keep air flowing over the wings in a lift generating manner.

It was always my intention to go through the training process just once, with Algernon, and let that stand for all the rest. I am definitely proving the wisdom of that decision.

Haha, Wayfarer, I well remember how tricky it all became, when I had my first new TrackIR.

I seemed to be worth nothing as a pilot, while the sensation itself - being able to look around and marvel at the scenery,

the clouds and the shimmering surfaces of my own aircraft - where incredible!

It took me a looong time, before I was halfways able to control my aircraft, while I was looking around in other directions.

But then I was beyond the age of a fighter pilot, even for WW1 conditions, and I saw I had to give me much more time.

I think it took me almost a year, until I felt really free and naturally in my cockpit.

Only from there I could REALLY hope to survive a bit longer under combat conditions.

So have a long patience with yourself.

The training, as simple as it may appear, is a good start to get everything the way the instructor wants it.

Once you can do all that he demands, you could install a pilot in a sqdn far behind the lines, flying a Sopwith Strutter

or a Pup - those aircraft should be nice to handle and quite forgiving. With this feller you could just carry on training

(and ignore the sqdn flight routine) until you feel so comfortable with Facetrack, that you can learn to fly in formation

with them. That will again take it's time.

And only when you feel good enough for combat with all that, you would stay with them, when they fly into combat.

Just a looong thought.

Is flying planes in WOFF much more difficult than OFF?

Is flying planes in WOFF much more difficult than OFF?

Unfortunately, I haven't really had experience with enough of a range of WOFF aircraft yet to comment.  I have only really been flying the BE2 about as well as I did in OFF. My particular problem seems to be keeping to specific heights and speeds, as designated by the training flights - which I probably would have had problems with in OFF anyway.

I know people have discussed the flight models of the Albatros and Snipe (not in OFF, I know) at the other forum.  I don't know whether any of those posts might suggest whether people found WOFF aircraft generally more difficult or not.

Edited by Wayfarer

I haven't found the aircraft any more (or less, for that matter) difficult to fly in WOFF than OFF.  I'm not a pilot in real life so won't comment on FMs-- as far as I know they are as well modeled as can be given the constraints of CFS3.  I don't use pedals, just a twist stick, but I imagine they would give more precise control.

Kind regards,

Dave