I have been tweaking my huddata.ini and have some questions maybe someone could answer.the enemy target director color is red by default (1.0,0.0,0.0,0.75) what would black be?i have subtitles turned off but I still get the mig??? targeted message how do I turn that off?i think this question has been asked before but I cant remember,the enemy labels in game what part of the huddata do I edit to make the text smaller?if the radar is set to hard will the labels even show at all?

Edited by ultramig688

I have been tweaking my huddata.ini and have some questions maybe someone could answer.the enemy target director color is red by default (1.0,0.0,0.0,0.75) what would black be?i have subtitles turned off but I still get the mig??? targeted message how do I turn that off?i think this question has been asked before but I cant remember,the enemy labels in game what part of the huddata do I edit to make the text smaller?if the radar is set to hard will the labels even show at all?

EDIT: figured out the labels.set the hud to easy,DUH.still need to know color and where to edit the text in the huddata.

Edited by ultramig688

the color is a hexadecimal number

a google search will turn up a RGB to Hex converter.

The indicators should have callout statements in the HUDData.ini. Just keep scrolling down to find them

If you want them removed, either go to Hard HUD, or decrease their size in the HUDData.ini to 0.0

the color is a hexadecimal number

a google search will turn up a RGB to Hex converter.

The indicators should have callout statements in the HUDData.ini. Just keep scrolling down to find them

If you want them removed, either go to Hard HUD, or decrease their size in the HUDData.ini to 0.0

thanks for the reply wrench. I was trying not to remove the labels  but make the text so small it would look like a dot so you could see other enemy aircraft not just the targeted one.malibu43 and romflyer talked about this awhile back but I never heard if they got it to work so I thought I would try my hand at it and see if I could really screw things up. :slow:

MessageSystem.ini

TextSize= ???

Ok ,will try the messagesystem .ini but I did kinda get it to work.if I put the HUD on easy and set the labels to false I still retain the black dot but I only have one small problem the waypoint numbers still show.not the cone mind you but the distance and waypoint number.i have messed with everything in the huddata pertaining to the waypoint but the numbers still appear.if I could get rid of the waypoint numbers it would be pretty good.oh and I still get the mission accomplished message too.i know if you set the HUD to normal theses things go away but so do the black dots.will keep messing with it.thanks for the help wrench.

Edited by ultramig688

Ok got pretty much everything the way I want but have another question.how do you get rid of specific messages?i will explain,when flying the f-4c I need the radar range settings displayed so I want that message.what I don't want is the message "mig-21targeted" or "mig-17 targeted" or whatever aircraft.how do I get rid of just this message.i am running my HUD on normal setting and yes I could put it on hard but then I lose the radar range message and the range knob is not in the cockpit that I can find.any advice would be appreciated.

So did you manage to get the text as a black dot, and no more text info displayed for planes, targets, or waypoints?...... Please explain what and how you got it done.

I had proposed the aircraft label text idea about a year ago but couldn't figure out how to get it working http://combatace.com/topic/72560-how-have-you-modified-your-huddataini/

Please share your details

Cheers

Romflyer

Edited by Romflyer

hey romflyer glad to see you comment on this thread.i did get the text pretty small by changing the small label font to 1 but that's as small as I could get it.if I tried to go smaller say 0.5 nothing would change I think 1 is as small as it can read(just guessing).the only way I got the labels to even show was to put the HUD on easy and them you have all the other stuff show up namely the waypoint text.if I go to normal hud waypoint text is gone but so are the labels and I still get those stupid mig targeted messages.the only way I could see that this would work would be to find the place with the label text itself and change the text to say a period instead of say mig-21J and just delete the distance text.then I think you would show just a dot where the plane would be. I will try to attach a copy of  my huddata.ini for you to see what it looks like.

[Debug]
DisplayDebug=FALSE

TextFontName=Arial
TextSize=10

[smallLabelFont]
TextFontName=Arial
TextSize=1

[HUDLabels]
EnableLabels=TRUE
LabelFriendlyAir=FALSE
LabelEnemyAir=TRUE
LabelEnemyGround=FALSE

[MapLabels]
EnableLabels=FALSE
LabelFriendlyAir=FALSE
LabelFriendlyGround=TRUE
LabelEnemyAir=TRUE
LabelEnemyGround=TRUE

[infoDisplay]
BackgroundImage=TextBackground.tga
BottomLeftPosition=0.01,0.985
//BottomRightPosition=0.99,0.985
DisplayWidth=0
VerticalBorder=0.0015
HorizontalBorder=0.008
EnemyTargetColor=0.0,0.0,0.0,1.0
FriendlyTargetColor=0.0,0.0,1.0,1.0
UnknownTargetColor=0.0,0.0,0.0,1.0
TextFile=HUDText.str
NormalColor=1.0,1.0,1.0,1.0
WarningColor1=1.0,1.0,0.0,1.0
WarningColor2=1.0,0.0,0.0,1.0
AGLAltStart=609.6
AGLAltWarning=152.4
EnglishUnitUseMPH=FALSE
ScaleTextToFit=TRUE

[Map]
MapDisplayLabels=FALSE

[Messages]
ShowMessages=FALSE
SystemMessageOnly=TRUE

[Display001]
DisplayType=DIRECTOR
ObjectType=TARGET_ENEMY
ConeSize=0
BoxSize=2
BoxType=SQUARE
BoxColor=0.0,0.0,0.0,0.75
//ConeModelName=redcone

[Display002]
DisplayType=DIRECTOR
ObjectType=TARGET_FRIENDLY
ConeSize=0
BoxSize=3
BoxType=SQUARE
BoxColor=0.0,0.0,1.0,0.75
//ConeModelName=bluecone

[Display003]
DisplayType=DIRECTOR
ObjectType=TARGET_UNKNOWN
ConeSize=0
BoxSize=2
BoxType=SQUARE
BoxColor=0.0,0.0,0.0,0.75
//ConeModelName=redcone

[Display004]
DisplayType=DIRECTOR
ObjectType=RADAR_TARGET
ConeSize=0
BoxSize=0
BoxType=DIAMOND
//BoxColor=1.0,1.0,0.0,0.75
//ConeModelName=

I get the feeling that you would be happier with this change

[infoDisplay]

BackgroundImage=TextBackground.tga

//BottomLeftPosition=0.01,0.985 --------- -try this

//BottomRightPosition=0.99,0.985

DisplayWidth=0

VerticalBorder=0.0015

HorizontalBorder=0.008

EnemyTargetColor=0.0,0.0,0.0,1.0

I tried that and found I needed the info. but I did find out if I slash out the line that says normal color=1.0,1.0,1.0,1.0 that I eliminate all text that is white so all the info in the bottom left goes away except for the when the afterburner comes on since it is red it pops up saying you are in burner.

I remember it being tough to remove that text at first but most of that info is still available to you, you just need to get familiar with the gauges in the cockpit......just push through the first few flights and you will start to get used to it, you'll happier in the long run.

I like the idea with the afterburner text.... I have made sure that the planes I regularly fly have a really LOUD afterburner, that way when I when I push the throttle to the firewall I can feel it in my chest cause it's so frickin loud!!! That way I don't drive around foolishly using all my fuel by mistake.....and it feels really cool when you use the afterburner.

I am still learning to not use the HUD info and getting better but it just takes practice.i usually run my HUD on normal unless I'm trying to figure out the label thing then I have to run it on easy mode.you wouldn't happen to know how to get rid of the HUD message "MiG-?? Targeted " would you,those messages are frikin annoying .i could run the HUD in hard mode but then I lose my radar range info and in the f-4c there is no range knob I can reference .

Have read through this http://bbs.thirdwire.com/phpBB3w/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2343 it's a really great little piece on understanding the F-4 radar.

As for the single line text pop ups in the bottom centre of the screen....... I actually like them, they are the only HUD item I have functioning in normal mode except for a tiny red dot for my active visual target. So that text gives me a brief note on what is happening .....tells me what waypoint I'm on when I select a new waypoint, it tells me wether or not I have a visual lock and on what, and most importantly it tells me which radio calls I need to take seriously

Cheers

Romflyer

Very interesting article,very informative.i have come to the conclusion that if I want no text pop ups then I will have to set the HUD on hard mode which I don't have a problem with except for no way to tell what your radar range is and I didn't see any place in the article on how to tell what your range is on the early phantoms other than the RIO had a knob he could set.is that correct or did I miss something in the main cockpit?

PS: thank you romflyer and wrench for all your help and advice I value your knowledge and expertise.

yes, indeed you missed the range displays

below is the F4E (no suffix) displays 5, 10, 25 and 50 mile digits

B, C, D and others are similar.

I knew the E model had the range display but I don't see the one for the C model could you post a picture of where it is in the F-4C because I can't seem to find it.

I stand corrected ... the B/CD don't have it.

you gotta remember, most of my flying time is spent BEFORE 1955!! :biggrin:

Well since we both agree that the B/C/D model don't have a radar range indicator is there a way to put some kind of knob or indication in the front cockpit to let you know what range your radar is at when you have your HUD on hard mode,even IRL the pilot had the RIO to set the range and let the pilot know when he was in range.i know it wouldn't be realistic but maybe put the indicator from the E model in the B/C/D cockpit just for reference.

Well since we both agree that the B/C/D model don't have a radar range indicator is there a way to put some kind of knob or indication in the front cockpit to let you know what range your radar is at when you have your HUD on hard mode,even IRL the pilot had the RIO to set the range and let the pilot know when he was in range.i know it wouldn't be realistic but maybe put the indicator from the E model in the B/C/D cockpit just for reference.

There's no way to add those features to that cockpit.  Once a model is exported to a .LOD file, only the owner of the source (MAX) file, can add animations and lights, and re-export it to the LOD format.

The alternative to achieve your desired goal is to edit the model's ini file and change the cockpit and avionics call-outs to utilize the F-4E's cockpit and avionics files, in place of the F-4B/C/D's 'pit.

Edited by Fubar512

Thanks fubar512 I guess that ends that discussion .

Another question ( I am full of questions) is there a way to talk to whoever built the f-4 planes and ask them if they would put some kind of radar range knob or indicator or something in the B/C/D models or could someone be able to add the radar range text to HUD in hard mode?

Edited by ultramig688

Another question ( I am full of questions) is there a way to talk to whoever built the f-4 planes and ask them if they would put some kind of radar range knob or indicator or something in the B/C/D models or could someone be able to add the radar range text to HUD in hard mode?

Ask TK at Thirdwire's web site.

you do know that TK's cockpits are 99.99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% accurate for the aircraft they depict?

He built them (in particular the Phantoms) right from the Dash-1 manuals

As Fub's said, ask at Third Wire. And good luck with that!

you do know that TK's cockpits are 99.99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% accurate for the aircraft they depict?

He built them (in particular the Phantoms) right from the Dash-1 manuals

As Fub's said, ask at Third Wire. And good luck with that!

Ok wrench and fubar thanks for replying .Yes I know the cockpits are accurate but since I can't ask my RIO what the radar is set at it must be part of the .0000001% that's not accurate LOL. Edited by ultramig688