Sign in to follow this  

The Skyhawk has been a work in progress that I was following in the DCS forums, but it is now publicly associated with VEAO. If the VEAO Hawk is any indication of the kind of product the A-4C Skyhawk will be, we are in for a treat. However, for me, the most important part is the flight model. The Hawk will be released with an SFM. I don't know how much time and effort it will take VEAO to develop its own EFM comparable to an ED PFM. I can only hope the Skyhawk will follow the same path: release it with an SFM to get it into players' hands then offer a PFM quality EFM as an addon when it becomes available. This business model may work better for 3rd parties, at least until they can get a handle on building detailed and accurate EFMs. For comparison, Belsimtek has gone straight for the PFM on its helos and provided the PFM for the F-15C. So, it is possible to produce/release PFM quality from the start with a bit of debugging after the beta release.

So, overall, I am optimistic about the possibility of a DCS:A-4C Skyhawk from VEAO with the realization that there isn't even any kind of projected release date. I hope somewhere along the way a MiG-17F, even as an AI-only enemy, joins the party to provide a suitable opponent. Of course, the AI MiG-15 bis being supplied as an enemy of the F-86F will have to do in the mean time. Is it too much to ask for a Vietnam era aircraft carrier and terrain?

I have visions of having the scope of Wings Over Vietnam combined with the detail/realism of DCS. DCS:Vietnam? Of course, I may be long dead and cremated by the time Edge and 3rd party terrains are released!

The biggest issue I see is actually getting it released. So far, all of this talk of aircraft X "will be released with..."  But only ED/Huey and Mi-8 Teams have produced actual results.

When/If it is released, this will be a purchase for me despite the lack of an era related map. I like the Scooter and will enjoy flying/bombing in it. In FSX, I'm racking up a lot of hours in the Virtavia model already.

• Like 1

The only item holding up the release of the VEAO Hawk is legal discussions with BAE. 

From what I have been told the plan for all VEAO releases is SFM initially and will have a EFM, PFM, whatever it's called when finalized.

Also, you can't compare 3rd parties to Belsimtek, they are a partner.  Partners get more support than 3rd parties.

Edited by paulrkiii
  • Like 1

Hope to see this one released, and then a version with modern avionics, weapons and countermeasure/ECM will be just amazing! ... There's such a variant? I mean, apart from the Humped versions there is a non-hump "modern" A-4's?

Also, you can't compare 3rd parties to Belsimtek, they are a partner.  Partners get more support than 3rd parties.

Why cant I? If you arent getting the support from ED, then you discontinue your work on their sim and move on. If you are willing to trudge on despite the lack of partnership, then its on you. Meet timelines or stop releasing teaser shots that frustrate people with the lack of progress. Or pick a subject that wont require a licensing/royality agreement.

DCS has huge potential to be the greatest multi-platform sim ever. But I feel that the continual delays on delivering add-ons that meet customer wants will be it's achilles heel.

You are right though. Many 3rd parties are jumping in with projects that have yet seen the light of day. IRIS, Aerosoft, RAZBAM, MILVIZ... Pfft, farts in the wind. They jump on the bandwagon of what is hot and release nothing.

Because they just aren't the same.  A partner seems to have better access to actual ED code where as a 3rd party has to wait for various APIs.  I can't really go into more detail because of NDAs but suffice it to say a big difference exists.  

Like you said, most 3rd parties IMO are a joke.  Out of the 3rd parties we know about (meaning have individual sections on the ED boards) VEAO, Leatherneck, and AvioDev will release products this year.  

Both Razbam and Cortex Designs have gone completely silent and IRIS dropped out rather quickly.  Maybe they will release something eventually but I think most are overwhelmed with the learning curve to develop for DCS and the expectations of the community are.

I'm looking forward to a handful of 3rd party airframes (Hawk, Typhoon to name a few) but what I really want is EDGE (meaning Nevada not 1.3.0) and the release of the EDGE SDK so 3rd parties can start making new theaters.  

What I got to test of 1.3.0. prior to leaving the ED testers team, well all I'll say is the current theater looks much improved but it's still flying over the same place we have for what 10 years or so.

Guys, can someone please enlight me?

How many Hardpoints the A-4C has? I count 2 under each wing plus the centerline one, that makes 5 "FIVE" hardpoints, am I right?

And anyone know the weapons the A-4C can carry? Thanks.

The A-4C only had 3 hardpoints -  1 centreline and 2 under the wing

Some were upgraded to A-4L with a hump - but still only had the 3.

The later longer nosed A-4E/F have 5 points.

The weapons it carries in SF2 are probably pretty accurate including MER/TER

Standard Gravity bombs MK-81 to 84 /M-117 and LAU rocket pods for example, AGM-12 Bullpup

Wondering why they choose a 3 hardpoint variant. Also IIRC the C cannot load the AGM-45 Shrike right?

Not in anything I have outside of test firings  

the A-4E can though which is my fave version

Argentina had a few Cs - just thinking where they would fit outside of Vietnam

Not in anything I have outside of test firings  

the A-4E can though which is my fave version

Argentina had a few Cs - just thinking where they would fit outside of Vietnam

The Argentinian C's have 5 hardpoints. Still no Shrike.

I would have liked a E version myself too, with or without hump.

Looks to be correct - wonder if they got a new wing

Their A-Bs  (A-4P/Q) still looks to have the 3

A-4C 

tres%20cuartos.jpg

Some other upgraded C/Ls

A-4SU 

104-71.jpg

A-4PTM

Malaysian_A-4PTM_Skyhawk_in_flight_c1985

I think he's counting the centerline hard point. But yes, the B/C only has 2 on the wings.

Depends on the country using the "C's". As I see the Argentinian ones have 2 hardpoints per wing + centerline. But VEAO will do the 1 hardpoint per wing + centerline version.

There are a few photos of the Argentine A-4Cs having the 5 hardpoints as well as the one above - must have been upgraded before handing them over in the 70s

Have anyone noticed we don't have SA-2 SAM? IIRC is still active in certain parts of the world, but not in DCS.

That doesn't shock me. The first time I went into LOMAC to build a custom mission and discovered that it didn't include the MiG-21bis, I was shocked. LOMAC/DCS included the F-4 and F-5, but not the MiG-21? That was a crime!

Even though I am not much of an A-G guy, I love the Skyhawk and if I am happy with the flight model, I will fly it frequently.

At some point, I won't have enough time to enjoy everything I have bought. Presently, I timeshare between the P-51D, F-15C, UH-1H, and Mi-8. I fly a bit of MiG-29/Su-27/Su-33 as well. I also flip between basic combat missions and start-up/take-off/landing practice. I have a very simple reason for not flying the A-10C that much: I like to fly it with the Warthog HOTAS, but my setup is dedicated to using my F-4 Phantom B-8 stick, which just doesn't work with the stick-hat intensive A-10C control scheme.

Says A-4B on the side of it by the Bu number 

Wouldnt normally nitpick but its DCS after all!

The early A-4s didnt have the split flaps/spoilers either. That came later on the Foxtrot and beyond. Why is that lower access panel modeled? I dont even know if its real. The back end came off for engine changes.

But, at least it's in the works. Just need to tighten up some of the details.

• Like 1