I'm working on templates for the DH Venom, hi-res 2048

I redrew the lines and added rivets... but can i make bump maps? If so, what files names should I use?

Do I go for SM_ ?

Was the model originally equipped with, and/or setup to use bump maps? If not, then the answer is no. The model has to have bump-mapping associated with it from the onset in 3dMax, before its exported to LOD format.  One cannot simply add bump maps like they were skin textures.

as Fubar said, bump mapping would be impossible on that, as the Lod dates from 2005

you can fake it using painted layers of white and black highlights if you have the templates,I usually add any I make by sharpening a copied layer and adjusting it to simulate bumpmaps.

not exact but you get the idea...pic1 before...pic 2 after

post-1981-0-58303000-1404436207.jpg

post-1981-0-96665500-1404436211.jpg

yeah... i use layers of inverted lines and rivets and shift by 1 pixel, and mess around with the transparency

it kinda works

almost done with the skins... just a few details and then test how the damn thing looks in game :-)