Sign in to follow this  
macelena

Question from a gun ignorant

I´ve had a nice read on snipers by an Osprey book, and i found it a fascinating world. Been diging around for more info, and i noticed that one of the things that seems to be taken into account in the last years around the weapons designs is the use of a free floating barrel, that is, a heavy barrel wich is only in contact with the reciever so it can vibrate freely for more consistent grouping. Specifically, i found the XM2010 quite interesting

Of all the sniper weapon systems used by the Spanish Armed Forces, only the Barret made 50 cal rifles have it (M95 and M107), however the Accuracy International Artic Warfare doesn´t seem to, being rested in the stock much like Remington derived rifles in US service (M24 and M40). However, the AIAW design seems to be considered the best kind of rifle in the market...anybody has some opinion on the issue? I have no idea how important may be different factors with regards to precision and practical use of any SWS

There is no "Best Gun". You have to factor in what the shooter is comfortable with, conditions, settings, target and all such things.

The best weapon is the one that is reliable to work and hit the target and is easy to use by the shooter - and there is quite a few rifles that can do that.

• Like 1

The AIAW, M24 and M40 family all have a floating barrel, the stock is just very close (2-5mm) which makes it look like it's touching but it's not.

Forget the barrel, I want a gun that makes the shooter float.