Sign in to follow this  
Spinners

A Soviet Buccaneering Baltic Banana!

Yakovlev Yak-34 'Buckshot-B' - Soviet Naval Aviation, 1972

The swept-wing Yak-28 had only limited success in it's 'Firebar' (interceptor) and 'Brewer' (tactical bomber) variants but a follow-on programme was authorised with the Yakovlev OKB expected to use the same general configuration. However, during the early stages of development the interceptor requirement soon evolved into a jagged highly swept-wing Mach 2 derivitive of the 'Firebar' whilst the tactical bomber evolved into a much more conservative subsonic design. 

Designated Yak-34 the new tactical bomber had large non-afterburning Mikulin turbojet engines adjoining the strong and durable fuselage outboard of which were fully blown swept-wings to improve low-speed performance for short-field tactical operations whilst remaining thin enough for high transonic speed for low-level penetrability. The new design featured an internal bomb bay in which a wide range of conventional and nuclear bombs could be carried supplemented by four underwing pylons designed to carry the new family of Soviet tactical air-to-surface missiles as well as conventional bombs and rockets. 

In Soviet and WarPac service the Yak-34 became a hugely succesful tactical platform with a longevity rivaling the Tu-95 and MiG-21 families.

SOVIETYAK-34BUCCANEER01_zps23ae8516.jpg

SOVIETYAK-34BUCCANEER02_zpsb34e8814.jpg

SOVIETYAK-34BUCCANEER03_zps60ab0d67.jpg

SOVIETYAK-34BUCCANEER04_zpse2fe4d8b.jpg

SOVIETYAK-34BUCCANEER05_zps5587b723.jpg

• Like 5

Looks remarkably like our Buccaneer to me.......they copied all our stuff.....  censored.gif.pagespeed.ce.MI8gjGhtex.gif  commies.

I'm speechless. I agree with Praetor tough, a soviet navy vlueish would be even better. Is that thing capable of operating on the Kiev?

I didn't actually intend it to be in service with Soviet Naval Aviation. I made it with a Fencer blue scheme (like my F-111/Su-24) but when I went to fly my first mission there I was on the (decidedly small) carrier! I hadn't changed CarrierBased=TRUE to FALSE and nor will I now!

It's a beautiful 3D model and the templates are a joy to work with. Thank you Volker.

Yakovlev Yak-34 'Buckshot-B' - Soviet Naval Aviation, South Atlantic, 1982

SOVIETYAK-34BUCCANEER06_zpscbee1c7f.jpg

SOVIETYAK-34BUCCANEER07_zps24d401e2.jpg

SOVIETYAK-34BUCCANEER08_zpse43c7cf7.jpg

SOVIETYAK-34BUCCANEER09_zps647a4c6a.jpg

SOVIETYAK-34BUCCANEER10_zpse3486f9b.jpg
  • Like 2

We will need the Ulyanov for this one to take off.