Yes thats right. Set up a frankenrig with Windows technical preview as the only OS of the moment. Nothing critical here this is all experimentation, my laptop still works fine.

That all said, current status is such: SF2 loaded from site not disk, so it is latest patch

Latest version directx loaded from microsoft. Allowed an udk game to load and start

SF2 itself is loaded, but CTDs during initialization

What other variables am i missing, and what causes most ctd at different load levels

TIA for any contributions to this new journey in the mystery machine.......

You are not running a test version of Windows 10 as a main OS are you? (or is it a VM)

The final version of Win 10 is supposed to have DX12 - the dev preview still has DX11 - though whethere DX10 is supported still - well. The Xbox will use the same OS and everything else - although not sure if DX10 is still supported without some more digging.

Have you installed the DX9 runtimes to see if it runs under that?

Also try running as admin.

Edited by MigBuster

Yes it is the main os. The rig is a reformatted emachine HD plugged into an Acer just bout everything else. It was getting a free OS courtesy of my school affiliation, but tried 10 first. So far has been ok

Yes i loaded Directx11, will try 9 out later, promised the girls a chance a the School of Dragons app in the early afternoon

And already running as admin. Have you gotten it ip you or am i gunning for first on?

What i mean by running as admin as you either right click on the exe and run as admin or set up the shortcut to do it.

SF2 needs either DX10 or DX9 to work.

DX11 is already part of Win 10 test version (not sure if it still supports DX10 though??)

DX12 will be part of the real Windows 10 when released

I wouldn't advise relying on Windows dev preview for anything stable - its an unfinished bodge.

No I run Win 7 but have different OS s in VMs for testing etc- but they cant access the graphics card so cant run intensive games outside of angry birds at the mo.

huuh,  does win7 go backwards compatable with the DX version?  was running dx11 on my Win 7 Home Prem laptop.  force dx9 was false in the options ini.  has been just fine as was but out of curiousity loaded dx9 on my win7 system and forced dx9.   had better (tho honestly not by much) fps the way i had been doing business.

back to frankenrig,  tried to DL directX9.0c,  didn't like it as being too new an OS for that version.  esp wierd given it loaded 10 min earlier on my Win7 system.  used the feedback app to ask about backward compatability or allowing DX9 to load.

Installed it over win 7 64 ...everything runs fine for me....(Build 9841)

with build 9841 in max 2009 gfx glitches...some screen areas are fixed on screen til u exit max..

huuh,  does win7 go backwards compatable with the DX version?  was running dx11 on my Win 7 Home Prem laptop.  force dx9 was false in the options ini.  has been just fine as was but out of curiousity loaded dx9 on my win7 system and forced dx9.   had better (tho honestly not by much) fps the way i had been doing business.

back to frankenrig,  tried to DL directX9.0c,  didn't like it as being too new an OS for that version.  esp wierd given it loaded 10 min earlier on my Win7 system.  used the feedback app to ask about backward compatability or allowing DX9 to load.

Yes DX10 is backwards compatible from DX11 in Win 7 without doing anything

Is DX10 properly implemented in Win 10 Test version? - no idea - but if it aint running then its not looking good. 

I have yet to see anything definite on DX10/11 support in Windows 10.

Files look to be there

Win7 x64

WIn7.JPG

Win10 x32 Dev prev

Win10.JPG

ok  thanks.  was glancing thru the comments in the Windows forums and evidently 1)  9841 aint the latest, and two FSX isnt liking it right now either. although for that Miscrosoft themselves recommnded reloading in compatability mode.  feel minorly stupid for not trying that as i had to for WoE in Win7!  at least for it to work rightish..... then i got SF2 and life got better

will try transplanting the above and/or loading in compatability mode over next few days.  this weeks gonna be a bbusy one for me without this...........

On 10/26/2014 at 10:26 PM, MigBuster said:

What i mean by running as admin as you either right click on the exe and run as admin or set up the shortcut to do it.

SF2 needs either DX10 or DX9 to work.

DX11 is already part of Win 10 test version (not sure if it still supports DX10 though??)

DX12 will be part of the real Windows 10 when released

I wouldn't advise relying on Windows dev preview for anything stable - its an unfinished bodge.

No I run Win 7 but have different OS s in VMs for testing etc- but they cant access the graphics card so cant run intensive games outside of angry birds at the mo.

i run strike fighters 2 complete edition on windows 10 DirectX12 on dell latitude laptop E6540 intel hd 4600+AMD RADEON 8970M on high settings without any issues on 65 to 72fps 

i think the main issue for strike fighter 2 is a suitable graphics driver version which should be older to 2018 as i use 2015 drivers 

but its a very low budget laptop that fullfils all needs of strike fighters 2