Sign in to follow this  
ricnunes

How to create/change MFDs that displays diferent pages?

I know that SF2 doesn't support true MFD functionalities similar to the ones found on the real F/A-18 for example (among many other modern aircraft) but I noticed that there are two modded aircraft, one being the TMF F-14 and the other a F/A-18 Super Hornet (don't know how made it, sorry, but it's included in the Op. Darius mod).

With the TMF F-14 it's possible to change the HSI (lower CRT display) to display one of three (3) different pages (NAV, Radar and RWR) using the Bomb Ripple Interval key while the VSI (upper CRT display) can also display different pages using the Bomb Ripple Quantity key.

The Super Hornet's (mentioned above) left MFD can display one of two (2) pages (EW and SMS) which can be cycled using the Bomb Ripple Interval key (similar to the TMF F-14).

So my questions are: 

- How can I implement something like this on an existing aircraft (the CF-18 or F/A-18A/C for example)?

- Is it possible to use another set of keys (alternatively to the Bomb Ripple Interval/Quantity keys) in order to change/cycle thru the MDF pages?

Thanks in advance for replies.

I think the TMF F-14s get away with the MFD switcheroo thing because mostly it's an air-to-air fighter and subsequently the "Bombcat" modification you can still do it because the game models single store drop with guided bombs and not iron.  I could be wrong as I don't mess with the TMF F-14s much.  As one of the team members (and project lead) the Super Cockpits have the RWR display offset in the cockpit (Block I) and the Block II Supers have the RWR display on the UFCD (middle screen with the numbers below the HUD) active when switching to the weapons.  Besides there wasn't much of a desire to get too in-depth with MFDs due to game logic and simplicity.  If of course the functions were available (and manipulative like DCS) then yes it would have been done, but the SMS and basic pages were needed, not so much everything else.  And as we all know there isn't  a 6DOF support so you'd be looking at a simple texture, unable to do anything with it so there wasn't any point in adding such game limited functionality.  The SMS page is of course more "interactive" but that's just to show weapons being removed from the inventory and not able to be specifically selected, like the DCS A-10C of course.

Edited by EricJ

I know that SF2 doesn't support true MFD functionalities similar to the ones found on the real F/A-18 for example (among many other modern aircraft) but I noticed that there are two modded aircraft, one being the TMF F-14 and the other a F/A-18 Super Hornet (don't know how made it, sorry, but it's included in the Op. Darius mod).

With the TMF F-14 it's possible to change the HSI (lower CRT display) to display one of three (3) different pages (NAV, Radar and RWR) using the Bomb Ripple Interval key while the VSI (upper CRT display) can also display different pages using the Bomb Ripple Quantity key.

The Super Hornet's (mentioned above) left MFD can display one of two (2) pages (EW and SMS) which can be cycled using the Bomb Ripple Interval key (similar to the TMF F-14).

So my questions are: 

- How can I implement something like this on an existing aircraft (the CF-18 or F/A-18A/C for example)?

- Is it possible to use another set of keys (alternatively to the Bomb Ripple Interval/Quantity keys) in order to change/cycle thru the MDF pages?

Thanks in advance for replies.

I made the pits for all new Hornets and like EricJ explained it covers only the basic(but more than enough for combat sim) functions that can be simulated in the game, the game itself is completely unsuitable for modern MDF representation, so MFD development was practically a project within a project, the thing is that all that, was made by using real flight manuals so pretty much everything important is covered in the existing MFD pages, standard F-18 cockpits have IIRC - Radar page, Nav page, DDI page, moving map Page and SMS page I didn't make a RWR page as one can use the existing auxiliary RWR screen which is not present in newer SuperHornet cockpits so they had to get a dedicated RWR page.

What was not simulated in the game was possibility to switch and position those pages through the MFD's which would be neat but really not a "to die for" feature and we miss stuff like engine page, stall&spin pages, test pages and generally stuff that would perhaps be more useful in games like FSX because in a combat sim how many times would one watch the system boot up or stare into the engine info page to monitor oil pressure? Still if the game was more friendly to MFD's I'd do it.

In the end I know this may seem like a shameless plug but those MFD pages in the Hornets are pushing the game engine limit to the maximum point, I'm sure that guys that made other pits with such options will tell you the same :wink:

First of all, thanks for the replies.

To be honest I never had intention of making every MFD page that exists in real life for the CF-18A or F/A-18A. What I would like to do is something much simpler in the lines with what was already done with the TMF F-14 and/or Super Hornet.

To be more precise what I would like to do is having the ability to choose for the left MFD between the SMS and EW (RWR) pages just like happens with the Super Hornet and for the right MFD I would like to be able to choose between the Radar and ADI pages. The later part (right MFD) is also currently modeled in the Super Hornet albeit the player doesn't change between Radar and ADI by pressing a key (like happens with the left MFD) but instead it's something like this: Radar on -> Shows Radar Page or Radar off -> Shows ADI page and honestly I would be happy with this solution for the right MFD for my CF-18A or F/A-18A but what I don't know or don't understand is how can I implement the solution for the left MFD?

So if someone could explain me how this can be done I would appreciate.

as was explained above, it CANNOT be done with this game engine.

Well I think I might had not explained it good enough - there is no code for MFD's in the game, I made them in max and improvised using the existing analogue options...everything you see on the mods that have MFD's is made in 3dsmax and set up with A LOT of improvisation...so the final answer is there's nothing you can do as there is no such option.

yes, changes in MFD displays triggered by such avionic events are possible. But as explained earlier, it requires 3D modelling and a lot of `out of the box´ thinking (and obviously trial and error). With regard to the TMF F14 cockpit, the fact that the displays can be changed by simly pressing a key really stems from the largely unused A/G capabilities.

something like this: Radar on -> Shows Radar Page or Radar off -> Shows ADI page