Dave

How Many Aircraft Are Assigned To......

....a typical Marine squadron for these aircraft deployed aboard an LHD and or land based unit.

OV-10? 

A-4F?

AV-8A?

What era? Land based units ere typically closerto 24 aircraft in 70s and 80s, while closer to 18 90s and later. Point of interest, the OV-10 was tested to take off from the Tarawa's, could land w/o a hook. But not used operationally.

All. For deployments on the LHA's. The Sea Control scenario is when no ground troops are aboard. Just Harrier Carrier. But it is Six, cut as a Det. from the VMA to the HMM usually from what I understand. I could be wrong but not completely incorrect. As far as the A-4's are concerned 24 sounds right. OV-10's could, as you said operate from LHA's, but never deployed in that manner operationally.

Checked the Osprey Harrier Books.

ODS. Three Land Based squadrons had average of 20 apiece. The USS Nassau had 20. The USS Tarawa had a Det. of 6.

In OIF I, The two Wasp class had 24 each. The USS Bonhomme Richard and USS Bataan deployed as "Harrier Carriers." USS Nassau and USS Tarawa had a Det. of 6 each. Total of 76 in theater. 60 on boats. 16 at Al Jaber, Kuwait.

So 22 and six seems to fit.

Edited by CrazyhorseB34

Thanks fellas for the answers. Now I know how to proceed.