Sign in to follow this  
R31Mark

Felixstowe flying boat

Hi guys!

I was wondering whether anyone knows if there is a flyable Felixstowe flying boat, I love the look of these aircraft and I think it would be really fun to be able to play with one of them on the game. I noticed that that other ww1 sim (Rise of flight) has a beautiful model of the plane available to play. Something else that I was wondering is are planes from games like that able to be converted for use on our game? or do they have to be made from scratch. I think that something like that would be great for the North Sea map that Stephen1918 made (thank you Stephen1918). Sorry for my lack of knowledge, as I am new to pc gaming and all that jazz. Cheers.

Regards, Mark

Mark -

The heart of a flyable game aircraft is the 3D model and, broadly speaking, there are two "problems" with introducing a 3D model from a different game into First Eagles.  First is ethical - a 3D model is the intellectual property of the modeler who created it, so the creator must give permission for the transfer.  Second is practical - there are many different 3D model formats, and editions of the same format.  Transferring 3D models from one format or edition to another nearly always creates problems, which can take many hours to fix.  Sometimes, the amount of time required is such that making a new model from scratch is the better option.

Bottom line: transferring a Rise Of Flight 3D model into First Eagles is highly unlikely. 

I am not sure if it's still available but years ago there was a flying boat model from the "wings of war" game that had the source file available to modders. they released a large number of models and many ended up being ported into FE by the A-team crew.

Edited by whiteknight06604

I remember that from years ago. It was a Felixstowe. But it has long since disappeared. I don't remember who posted it. But it never ended up in the download section here or at the A-Team. Too bad.

Thanks for the reply Guys!

Geezer, I understand what you're saying, I didn't think through the rise of flight idea enough I'm sorry to say :bad: Thanks for the advice however!

whiteknight06604, cheers man, I didn't know that and I just googled it but no dice, Ah well haha.

same to quack74 :grandpa:

The bloke that runs the A-Team Skunkworks download page was nice enough to send me an email about this as well, his explanation was fairly helpful to me as well.

Cheers for the help everyone :)