Sign in to follow this  
NMcDonald

Help - I am sure I got this right once

Hi there. I got myself a new desktop due to the old one packing in. I've done a new install of FE2 and for the life of me I cannot get my mods - especially terrains to work.

I copied a exe file to make a new shortcut

I then opened it up - renamed it Galicia after terrain mod

Opened up instand action

New saved games folder emerged

Followed the instructions - but for love nor money can I get it to work.

Open it up again and |I get the same FE2 and no terrain other than Verdun and Cambrai

Any help???

I use FE1 so I won't be able to help, but I have had many PMs from people asking asking for help making a separate install of FE2.

Could someone write a step-by-step list of instructions so I will at least have a place to send them?

If we want to expand the FE user base, then we have to help the newbies learn how install the mods. I remember how frustrating it was for me when I first started - hours of trolling through the knowledge bases searching for answers. (You know, it took me two weeks to figure out that "FM" was the same thing as the data.ini?) That's why I have a made a point of trying to write install instructions that newbies can understand.

Can someone help NMcDonald get his terrain working, please?

I'd like to help, but I don't know how Windows 8.1 works.

the instructions for FE2 are the same as SF2 (and covered in the SF2 Knowledge Base)

Basicly:

copy/paste the FE2.exe "up and back" to your

C:\Program Files (x86)\ThirdWire\First Eagles 2

It should read as "FirstEagles2 -copy.exe"

Rename this "new" exe to whatever you like, in this case I'd use FE2-Galicia.exe

Create new shortcut on desktop, or a Games folder (I use a games folder -- keeps things nice a clean on the desktop), pointing to the newly renamed exe.

Run the exe, and allow it to create the mods folder. The new mods folder should have the same name as the exe (FE2-Galicia).

Go through the set ups, setting the graphics, controls, etc, and start a mission with any aircraft. Fly for a minute or so. Exit the game.

Again, double check the location of the mods folder after exiting (I'm going to assume -oh! that word!!- that Win8 works like Win7, and the mods folder will be in the  C:\Users\-**yourname**-\Saved Games folder)

Start installing mods (I'd start with the terrain first, just to make sure it shows on the drop down.

that should pretty much do it

This is a long shot, but I did this once. The new install does not automatically create a Terrains folder within the mod folder. You need to create the folder called Terrains yourself, and put the terrain folders within that. At least one time in the past I accidentally named the folder Terrain (no s) and that caused things not to work. Someone here spotted my typo and as soon as I renamed the folder Terrains, it all worked.

Edited by Heck

good catch Heck, I'd forgotten that FE2 is just like SF2 in that regard.

----

NMac:

is the mods folder showing up?

Does the (new) game even start/work?

Do any of the add on aircraft for Galacia show up, even on the stock maps?

Greetings, NMcDonald

I'm running "First Eagles 2" under Windows 8.1 also.

I can tell you that Win 8.1 works pretty much the same as Win 7 - meaning, you gotta do all that "Run as Administrator" and "Run in Compatibility Mode" song-and-dance.

As described in the responses above, once installed, you get TWO separate sets of "game-related" folders -- one wherever you installed it, and another (under Win 8) in something like "C:\Users\Owner\Saved Games\Thirdwire\FirstEagles2".

THAT'S the one you usually put all your "mod" files into.

It is a feature that TK and Thirdwire added, supposedly to make it easier (Heh Heh) for end-users to mod their games. Generated when you run the game the first time. It's not a Win 8.1 thing.

(If you install their games under Win XP, they put the separate "Mods" folder in C:\Documents, or some such).

Anyway, I've got 15 files/folders in my "Main" C:\Doug\Thirdwire\First Eagles 2 folder (since I had a Windows Vista machine, I NEVER install anything in C:\Program Files(x86), if the installer gives me the option of choosing),

and 13 files/folders in my "mod" folder (in C:\Users...etc.). I'm running my "FirstEagles2.exe" in Windows 7 Compatibility mode.

Well, so what?

1. Wrench is correct, a lot of the Strike Fighters 2 "knowledge base" can be applied to First Eagles 2.

If you follow his suggestions, you will end up with THREE separate game-related folder sets (your main one, and TWO "Mod" folders - a "stock" one, and a "Galicia-specific" one).

If that is what you want, that's fine. So then, you would install all your Galicia-specific mod files in the second "mod" folder.

However, it shouldn't be necessary. Typically, this method works best for "stand-alone" installations (such as WWII Pacific or Desert Storm type things in Strike Fighters, to limit what shows up in-game to only what should be there).

I have all my mods in the single "Mod" folder.

2. Heck is also correct. Many times you may have to physically create specific folders (in your Mods folder(s)), if the mod you downloaded doesn't include an "automated installer" to do that for you.

(I myself hate "automated installers." I prefer to extract mods into a temporary directory and move them to where they need to go by hand, so I know what's being changed).

"\Guns" and "\Pilots" folders are typical examples.

My Mods folder "Terrains" folder only contains a "WWIAirfield1.ini" for Cambrai and Verdun. Everything else needed for each is in a .CAT file for those two terrains in my "Main" FE2 Terrains folder.

3. First Eagles 2 is sort of a "transition" between Thirdwire's older programming (for Win XP and earlier) and the programming they did for their Strike Fighters series.

I seem to recall that there was made available a "patch" for FE2 to bring it up to (at least) Windows Vista standards.

If you are using the original FE2 discs, you might want to look for it on Thirdwire's website (the "downloadable" version of FE2 available nowadays should already include what upgrades you can expect nowadays).

Anyway, what this means is that SOMETIMES mod stuff might need to be installed in the "Main" FE2 folder.

Not very likely. But if so, the ReadMe from the modder will tell you.

ALWAYS READ THE README!!!

If necessary, re-download the Galicia terrain (or anything else you are having trouble re-installing), if you didn't save its ReadMe.

Then, once everything more-or-less "works," you get to explore tweaking the various .ini files, to change availability dates by year, types of ordnance carried, etc.

(A typical reason for some specific aircraft or bomb not showing up in-game is its assigned availability date).

You probably knew all this stuff, at one time, and had your FE2 purring like a kitten on your old computer.

Doing it all over again, on the new unit, well ... we forget stuff, y'know?

It's tough to get old.

And, our hand-eye coordination in the air just ain't what it used to be ...

Well, perhaps the opposition in Galicia is not exactly top-drawer.

Cheers. Over the top, and give 'em hell!

DARoot

Edited by DARoot