Sign in to follow this  
Eagle114th

Black Screen when loading mission - Still can't solve it.

Hello everyone,

I have not flown SF2 for so long time, so I decided to blow the dusts out of SF2 installation and installed it.  I installed all SF2 series, along with expansion packs and ran auto update and it updated my SF2 to July 2013 version.

Every time I tried to run quick mission or start mission, it get stuck in black screen.  I can't think of any problems, except for my sound card.  my SB X-FI (PCIe) sound card is dead now, so I can't play any sounds.  So hence, I am thinking that black screen may be related to it.

So my question is, how do I completely disable sound in SF2, so I can test and see if it works.  (There is no point for having sound anyway, due to my dead sound card.

I searched for answer, there is no right answer to this issues just yet.

However, it is great to see everyone again!  It have been very long time.

Edited by Eagle114th

I forgot to add my computer specs and screenshot of my SF2 folders.  My first post doesn't let me edit an existing post.

Here is my basic specs of my over 5 years old computer:

Intel !7 Processor 3.33 ghz

12 GB DDR3 RAM

2 x HD 5970 (Crossfire enabled)
SB X-FI (PCIe) - (Not working properly now.)

Here is picture of my both SF2 Main folder and "Saved folder" folder (For modding):

Untitled.png

Sound should have absolutely nothing to do with that.  Did you update your graphics card drivers? Is your DirectX updated?

my SB X-FI (PCIe) sound card is dead now, so I can't play any sounds.

Hmmm problems with SF aside it must be lame to have a mute puter! I'd say sort this (and other basic issues) out first and deal with games after!

Most motherboards have onboard sound. Maybe unplug the SB card and revert to default.

Edited by Do335

Sound should have absolutely nothing to do with that.  Did you update your graphics card drivers? Is your DirectX updated?

Yes I updated my video card and directX 9.  I will re-run DirectX 9 to ensure i have latest version though.

Hmmm problems with SF aside it must be lame to have a mute puter! I'd say sort this (and other basic issues) out first and deal with games after!
Most motherboards have onboard sound. Maybe unplug the SB card and revert to default.

I've ran different games, they ran well except for SF2 which puzzles me.  And I don't mind playing game without sounds and I usually play game without it anyway.  However, I am still scratching my head wondering what is causing black screen / CTDs every time I run quick mission or start mission in SF2. 

In the past, TK has stated that the series does not support SLI or Crossfire. Try going to single card mode in your graphics control panel, and see if that fixes it.

In the past, TK has stated that the series does not support SLI or Crossfire. Try going to single card mode in your graphics control panel, and see if that fixes it.

THAT FIXED THE PROBLEM!  It turns out that, as you stated, SF2 does not support SLI/Crossfire mode.  I ran ATI Program known as catalyst control center and have it running on single video card for specific game.  I made sure that SF2 run with crossfire disabled and I was able to load SF2 quick mission!

Thank you and I thank everyone for helping me solving my issues with SF2.  Looks like I will be able to fly SF2 again!

Cheers!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By LaoHu
      I downloaded this mod for the F-5 and all of the skins for the aircraft are black, which means the textures aren't loading but I can't find out why it isn't loading. There is no exact installation instructions other than extract it into the mod folder which I did and there doesn't look like there are any issues with the file placement compared to the other aircraft files. Can anyone help me out?

P.S. the drop tanks have the textures working and the cockpit, loading screen, menu, etc all work. Everything but the skin. 

• By Eagle114th

View File Screen Overhaul - (1920 x 1080)
      Strike Fighter Project 2 – Screen Overhaul v1.2 Customizable Edition

The new version of SF2 Screen Overhaul 1.2 is now released.  Here is the following screen this mod completely overhaul:

-          Main screen
      -          Single mission screen
      -          Mission editor screen
      -          Hangar (Default) screen
      -          Loadout screen
      -          Planning screen
      -          Roster screen
      -          Campaign screen
      -          Campaign editor screen
      -          Pilot records screen
      -          Options screen

It does not yet cover another screen.  It is work in progress (WIP) for now.  What I am seeking for is feedback that will help me improving the mod further. It is one of my biggest projects I ever worked on for SF2. It gave me opportunity to grow a new skill I enjoy doing. 

NOTE:  Now that SF2 Screen Overhaul is becoming a customizable version. If you make any mods that adds or change anything to this mod, please add my name and mod name to your credit part.

You can contact me by PM in CombatAce (I am known as Eagle114th there) or Strike fighter series Discord chat (My username is Magic Dragon, so you can find me there too.)

Version 1.2 NOTES:

Buttons customization instruction:
      In Menu folder (SF2 mod folder), you will see various SF2 screen named as “BUTTONS_HANGAR, MAIN, OPTIONS, etc...), there are folders for each button.  In order, to change the color of buttons, go to one of button folder, you will see different folders for various color.  Copy the file from there and overwrite the files in any BUTTONS_(SCREEN) folder.

For example, in BUTTONS_HANGAR, if I want to change the color of “LOADOUT” square button to blue; I go to the folder “LOADOUT”, then “Blue” folder, copy the files: LOADOUT0.bmp, LOADOUT1.bmp, and LOADOUT2.bmp.  Then I paste (Overwrite) the files in BUTTONS_HANGAR.

Screens and Buttons customization Templates
      In different “BUTTONS_(different screen names)”, there are folder “_Templates’.  You can use it to change the designs, colors, or anything you want to do with the screen background or buttons. 

This mod uses a font known as Orbitron.  I included it in _Fonts folder.

I want to express my sincerely big THANKS to Menrva, Wrench, UllyB, Daddyairplanes, Wilches, JosefK, FalonCAF, and everyone else in CombatAce community for making this possible.  You all have been a huge help. 

Because of Operation Desert Storm 30 years anniversary great mod, I was able to study the codes on how SF2 menu work, which led me into developing new menu for SF2.  This mod is truly fun to fly in SF2.  If anyone hasn’t tried it yet, I highly recommend it.

There are detailed instruction that explains how to install in the proper ways in README file.  LEASE READ IT BEFORE INSTALLING! 

I included the plans for the next version in the readme too.  

The feedback are always welcomed!

Submitter Eagle114th Submitted 05/18/2021 Category Menus  
    • By Eagle114th
      Strike Fighter Project 2 – Screen Overhaul v1.2 Customizable Edition

The new version of SF2 Screen Overhaul 1.2 is now released.  Here is the following screen this mod completely overhaul:

-          Main screen
      -          Single mission screen
      -          Mission editor screen
      -          Hangar (Default) screen
      -          Loadout screen
      -          Planning screen
      -          Roster screen
      -          Campaign screen
      -          Campaign editor screen
      -          Pilot records screen
      -          Options screen

It does not yet cover another screen.  It is work in progress (WIP) for now.  What I am seeking for is feedback that will help me improving the mod further. It is one of my biggest projects I ever worked on for SF2. It gave me opportunity to grow a new skill I enjoy doing. 

NOTE:  Now that SF2 Screen Overhaul is becoming a customizable version. If you make any mods that adds or change anything to this mod, please add my name and mod name to your credit part.

You can contact me by PM in CombatAce (I am known as Eagle114th there) or Strike fighter series Discord chat (My username is Magic Dragon, so you can find me there too.)

Version 1.2 NOTES:

Buttons customization instruction:
      In Menu folder (SF2 mod folder), you will see various SF2 screen named as “BUTTONS_HANGAR, MAIN, OPTIONS, etc...), there are folders for each button.  In order, to change the color of buttons, go to one of button folder, you will see different folders for various color.  Copy the file from there and overwrite the files in any BUTTONS_(SCREEN) folder.

For example, in BUTTONS_HANGAR, if I want to change the color of “LOADOUT” square button to blue; I go to the folder “LOADOUT”, then “Blue” folder, copy the files: LOADOUT0.bmp, LOADOUT1.bmp, and LOADOUT2.bmp.  Then I paste (Overwrite) the files in BUTTONS_HANGAR.

Screens and Buttons customization Templates
      In different “BUTTONS_(different screen names)”, there are folder “_Templates’.  You can use it to change the designs, colors, or anything you want to do with the screen background or buttons. 

This mod uses a font known as Orbitron.  I included it in _Fonts folder.

I want to express my sincerely big THANKS to Menrva, Wrench, UllyB, Daddyairplanes, Wilches, JosefK, FalonCAF, and everyone else in CombatAce community for making this possible.  You all have been a huge help. 

Because of Operation Desert Storm 30 years anniversary great mod, I was able to study the codes on how SF2 menu work, which led me into developing new menu for SF2.  This mod is truly fun to fly in SF2.  If anyone hasn’t tried it yet, I highly recommend it.

There are detailed instruction that explains how to install in the proper ways in README file.  LEASE READ IT BEFORE INSTALLING! 

I included the plans for the next version in the readme too.  

The feedback are always welcomed!

• By Viper63a

View File StrikeFighters2 Replacement Hi-Res Spash Screens
      StrikeFighters2 Hi-Res Replacement Spash Screens 
      By Viper
      Replacement spash (Initializing, Please Wait) screen for SF2. Uncompress the zip file and copy the *.bmp files into "<Your Install location>\Strike Fighters 2\Menu\" folder...where-ever you installed SF2.
      Simple install: Backup your "INITSCREEN.BMP" and  rename one of the new BMP you like to "INITSCREEN.BMP" and all your SF2 starts will show the new splash screen. 
      Complex Install: If you want each of your games to have a different splash screen...Back up and edit the <game>.ini file for the <game>.exe you want to change the splash screen for in the "<Your Install location>\Strike Fighters 2\" folder. Update the "LoadingScreen=" parm with the name of splash screen you want to display on start up: ex. "LoadingScreen=Menu\INITSCREEN (1).BMP".
      Note: If you copied the <game>.exe file to some other name, you have to copy the <game>.ini file to the same name as a the <game>.exe file. Also, the splash screen has to be a BMP file...PSD included so you can make your own. 
      Thanks to "Squid" for the idea and some elements from his screens!
      Enjoy!
      Submitter viper63a Submitted 11/25/2014 Category Menus  
    • By Viper63a
      StrikeFighters2 Hi-Res Replacement Spash Screens 
      By Viper
      Replacement spash (Initializing, Please Wait) screen for SF2. Uncompress the zip file and copy the *.bmp files into "<Your Install location>\Strike Fighters 2\Menu\" folder...where-ever you installed SF2.
      Simple install: Backup your "INITSCREEN.BMP" and  rename one of the new BMP you like to "INITSCREEN.BMP" and all your SF2 starts will show the new splash screen. 
      Complex Install: If you want each of your games to have a different splash screen...Back up and edit the <game>.ini file for the <game>.exe you want to change the splash screen for in the "<Your Install location>\Strike Fighters 2\" folder. Update the "LoadingScreen=" parm with the name of splash screen you want to display on start up: ex. "LoadingScreen=Menu\INITSCREEN (1).BMP".
      Note: If you copied the <game>.exe file to some other name, you have to copy the <game>.ini file to the same name as a the <game>.exe file. Also, the splash screen has to be a BMP file...PSD included so you can make your own. 
      Thanks to "Squid" for the idea and some elements from his screens!
      Enjoy!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..