Hi all

Is there any way that when you are flying single missions you can get your aircraft to take off from the same base every time. I know in campaigns you can do this, just wondered if it was possible in single missions.

Regards

Jools :)

There is no way to control what base you can take off from.

It may be possible -- but I am not sure.

You should be able to Delete specific airfields from the map data files, and maybe you can Delete all but one Friendly airfield. I have not done this yet so I don't know if it will even work. I do know you can move airfields across the map -- to a suitable flat terrain tile so they work -- by changing their (x,y) position in the mapxxx.targets file, and you can change the airbases to Enemy, so you only have one Friendly airbase to operate from. This will take some time to Experiment with on your part. Most likely, just Deleting the bases is probably the best way but again, I have not tried that yet.

Before we Experiment with and trash our maps, we make Backups first, right? :yes: Excellent

*oops* :blink: sorry -- if you are using the basic "desert" SF map (or Vietnam WoV map), you must Extract the map text files first before you can edit them.

Edited by Lexx_Luthor

I do know you can move airfields across the map -- to a suitable flat terrain tile so they work -- by changing their (x,y) position in the mapxxx.targets file

If you move an airfield to an area other than what his been layed out...your gonna have terrain poppin through your runways. The only areas of the map level enough to place an airfield are those that are in the XXX_targets.ini These areas have been leveled specifically for airfields with the terrain editor. In order to place a new arifield or move one to a usable spot, you'd have to open the terrain in the terrain area and select "Level airfields" then export the terrain again. Trust me on this one.

Thanks. There are some flat tiles in the wilderness that won't pop through runways, especially if you use the "sea" or "water" height map and set height scale to Zero, and AI and player planes operate from them normally, but you have to find and test them, and that eats lots of time; time perhaps better used learning the map creation tools.

We should still be able to Delete any Friendly airfields except one, leaving that one for the Create Mission's sole airfield to operate player planes from. Don't know how this will effect the Mission Creator's ... if for example, other squadrons must fly from other airfields, thus requiring more than one Friendly airfield.

Thanks guys

I just wanted to fly the naval aircraft from the carriers in single mission mode. I will try removing the airbases.

Jools :)

Here is MiG~25 on most "un flat" airfield... ;) ...just what we need!!!

~~> http://aeronautics.ru/mikoyan/mig25_31/mig-25rbk-003.jpg

Some great, and some humurous, -25 pics here...this one should make great load screen.

~~> http://aeronautics.ru/mikoyan/mig25_31/mig-25p-008.jpg

Lifted from... http://aeronautics.ru/mikoyan/mig25_31/

Wait wait they you can rewmove the airbases but you will never get a carrier to take off from. It isn't implemented single mission mode. You have to create a mission using the 3rd party ME to take from a carrier. If you go to Column5's forum there is some missions made for you to take off from carriers.

Now having made made missions/campaigns/ and terrains. I would not mess with removing airbases etc. Why? You will inevitably mess something up and end up re installing. Take some advice from me who has been modding this sim for 2 years....dont mess with that stuff or you will regret it.

I just wanted to fly the naval aircraft from the carriers in single mission mode.

:blink: Well that's new. ;)

Ya, I guess removing land bases won't let you takeoff from carrier if carrier takeoff "create missions" don't happen. I was thinking of land bases only.

If you do make changes make sure you make copies of original file for safety or as USAFMTL says you will end up Re~installing.