Sign in to follow this  
Gepard

Vulcan B2 flightmodel problem

I have downloaded the mighty Vulcan B2 for SF2 and i found a little problem in FM.

If the AI should land the plane it makes a normal landing approach and then 12 (or so) meters above the runway it suddenly starts climbing instead go forward for touch down. I tried it with SF2, but also with the old WOE, WOI, WOV series. Its always the same.

Is this only on my computer or does someone else has this problem too? :scratch:

Is there a fix for it?

what's your flap setting,, either come in full flap,,and just about before touch down raise flap to take off postion,,, or come in with take off flaps and at touch down deploy flaps to brake

is that puppy available for SFP-1 if so would you be so kind to provide link,, please and thank you are in order.

I have downloaded the mighty Vulcan B2 for SF2 and i found a little problem in FM.

If the AI should land the plane it makes a normal landing approach and then 12 (or so) meters above the runway it suddenly starts climbing instead go forward for touch down. I tried it with SF2, but also with the old WOE, WOI, WOV series. Its always the same.

Is this only on my computer or does someone else has this problem too? :scratch:

Is there a fix for it?

It's mostly due to landing speed set too high in the FM, you can reduce it by 0.5 increments in the data ini and do trial and error runs in game. TK probably had an algorithm for the stock planes' landing speed values, but trial and error is what can be done by layman and it's certainly error proof.

Also in campaign mode the AI uses a different landing approach vs single missions (it adds a flare before touchdown) so if you wanna use it in campaign, gotta test it in campaign mode.

^What I found out by own experience is all.

Edited by Do335

the phenomenon is what I call air compression,, some call it something else,, it shows the level of realism they modeled into the game,, well what it is in the real world is a big coushin of compressed air underneath the airplane makeing it hard to land so you got to bleed that air off to get wheels down,, I think the B-47 has the same problem I was testing the one I modded couldn't get it to touch down less than half way down the runway,, it was also modeled in IL-2 and you couldn't land a B-24 or a b-29 with full flap

Edited by yubba

it's called ground effect

it's called ground effect

is it modeled in the game??

is that puppy available for SFP-1 if so would you be so kind to provide link,, please and thank you are in order.

Download the SF2 version and then open the ini files with Notepad editor and save them in ANSI format. Should work.

It's mostly due to landing speed set too high in the FM, you can reduce it by 0.5 increments in the data ini and do trial and error runs in game. TK probably had an algorithm for the stock planes' landing speed values, but trial and error is what can be done by layman and it's certainly error proof.

Thanks. I tried it and some minor changes with the stall speed and some bigger changes to the values of the flaps i was able to bring the AI to land the Vulcan B2. It is not yet perfect so far. But a good step forward. I hope that i will find a satisfying solution of the problem soon.

well, considering the FM hasn't been changed since the original release in 2007 ... and was done by someone with questionable accuracy ... one somewhat minor fault isn't too bad.

Still needs a destroyed model, though. Mirage (delta wing) is waaaaaaaay to small. B-52 is not quite the right shape, but closer!

BTW, the inis are stil in ANSI, so no conversion should be necessary. Even the LOD is still ANSI

Download the SF2 version and then open the ini files with Notepad editor and save them in ANSI format. Should work.

Thanks. I tried it and some minor changes with the stall speed and some bigger changes to the values of the flaps i was able to bring the AI to land the Vulcan B2. It is not yet perfect so far. But a good step forward. I hope that i will find a satisfying solution of the problem soon.

Usually AI uses "StallSpeed=" for short final speed and "LandingSpeed=" for final, but some 3rd party FM simplies it without LandingSpeed, it's mostly fine but sometimes depending on the FM and/or battle damage AI might crash to ground so, best is to separate the two values I reckon.  ...but eh, nice that it works:)