Sign in to follow this  
Snailman

Climate Conference - Age of Idiocracy ?

I just can't find the words to describe this madness going on...  Did humanity enter into a bottomless pit of imbecileness??  A new dark age of witchcraft, heretics and inquisition, flogiston and disk-world??

"they agreed upon a quota...   they, representatives of 195 countries voted for not increasing the Earth's atmospheric temperature by more than 2 degrees Celsius"  and, "coastal countries demanded for 1.5 degs"

My friend's 10 yo. daughter asked  (she's the one who still watches TV) -  "Now they will go up and turn down the Sun-switch?"

Typically, the situation when you don't know you should laugh or cry...  Processor frozen. Press any key to restart.

After some head scratching whether to start the story from Galilei and Giordano Bruno, I just suggested her to change to the cartoon channel...

• Like 1

I personally support using less polluting technologies and keeping our forests intact. Fossil fuels are outdated, polluting, unhealthy and  caused our societies and science to stuck on the same place with little looking around for other alternatives. Of course its driven by the financial elite so "common" people even if they want hardly can access better ways as there are lots of bureaucratic pitfalls added to them so they are less "desired".

Naturally you can not play with the global temperature, as that depend on many factors that can not be effected by humans, but the intention to use better ways than we do currently is welcomed. Humans tend to believe, they control nature or its forces, so they can do everything. They have no idea how wrong they are. On the other hand, people tend to react faster if their existence is threatened or have a notion that something might go wrong.

We sure have effect on the planet and its habitat, how much that is depend on who is looking and at what factors/parameters. If we put less poison and whatever in our air, water and earth supply then everyone benefits, we and our children and their children alike.

Beside that the entire solar system is moving through or entered a galactic area with higher radiation levels, what effect that might have on our life and the planet's biology can not even be anticipated as of now. We can only sit and wait it out this time, but on areas we can effect as humans might do whatever we can to be in more harmony with mother earth.

• Like 1

Why the hell to bother about that? I bet that long before global warming becomes a real problem, mankind would have find another way to blow own's brain out. There are so many possibilities, growing exponentially each year we become more and more dependant on technologies we don't fully understand, master, or control. Which face will have the Horsemen of the Apocalypse? A global plague by bio-engineered virus released accidentally or deliberately? A complete extinction of the most vital cereals, through another global plague by bio-engineered virus or tweaked seeds released accidentally or deliberately? ("We knew there was a risk, but it was supposed to make more money!") A global crash of Internet and Cloud data, resulting in the complete collapse of global economy, leading to famine, anarchy and rise of lords of war?

With mankind reduced to a few millions of terrorized neuropaths driven back to the Age of Silex, I suppose that there won't be much concern any more about pollution and global warming...

One always deserves the fate one has deliberately prepared. Sounds very selfish towards generations to come, but at my age and considering the global situation and race to disaster, I feel quite relieved to be closer to the exit than to the entrance.

• Like 1

Well at least they are trying to do something, maybee it's too late but at least they are making an attempt.

Well, of course they are trying to do something, but it's not going to be enough. The problem will be entirely on the shoulders of the future generations, mine included, so I almost wish to die young, cause I don't think the world will be a nice place when I'll be 60yr old. But Capitaine Vengeur has given us a list of many other problems which could bring humanity to an end sooner or later. Seriously, we've given too much power to Internet, now everything is done with Internet, what if Internet "disappears" someday? The economy goes down with it, as well our lives. Not to mention nuclear weapons, deterrent for direct war between superpowers, but only the heavens know for how long...

Edited by blaze95