RUSTYMORLEY

Pesky Adware

I don't know about you but Adware seems to be able to get through my Norton Protection Software. My computer is currently infested with the stuff and even though I have used Norton Power Eraser, it doesn't seem to clear all of it away.

Can any of you guys recommend a means of getting rid of the damn stuff altogether.

I also run spybot S&D (filehippo.com/download_spybot_search_destroy/ )  along with  Malawarebytes, they do actually work very well together, and sometimes one detects things the other misses,  CCleaner is also invaluable, I'm afraid I don't Rate Norton, or any virus killer that you have to pay for, security should be free and available to everyone, I rely on Win Defender which works as well as any payware Virus scanner, and it is in built already into Windows, after having major issues with Avast causing slow downs and memory hogging, I just now use the tools aready in place in windows, however, Spybot, and Malaware are vital, as they can spot key logging attacks etc. and CCleaner will clean out pretty much everything you want got rid of too, just keep 'em all updated and run them all about once a week and you are cooking on gas mate !!

Here's my two cents even tho you have some great suggestions already.  First thing you should do for your sanity is to figure out where this "adware" is coming from.

Some of the common things that people do:

A) Is the adware coming from installing or installed programs, apps, or drivers?

B) Is the adware coming from downloads of music or adult sites?

C) Is the adware coming from a compromised file system where you have malware (silly little game someone downloaded somewhere is most common) installed which automatically launches (hidden or visible) then installs adware in the background?

D) Is the adware coming from email or files shared among friends / work associates?

E) Is the adware coming from inexperienced users that may be doing some of the above on your computer? (You should give them unprivileged separate accounts that they log into and use. Google how to set this up if you're unsure how to add additional users on your machine)

I know this all seems simple but you'd be surprised what some people think is safe internet behavior.  Once you figure out the cause the solution may vary. Of course the first step is to get back to a clean operating system. Here's my recommendation for doing this and it applies to every operating system every user.

You will need another computer laptop or desktop doesn't matter and even a friend's computer works in a pinch. You'll need to order, go buy, or borrow an external adapter for the infected machine's hard drive if you don't have one. Here's one I've had for awhile and it allows you to connect current and older hardware so sata and ide and I think I paid less than $15 for it.

20160130_190948.jpg

1) On the uninfected machine update that machines anti-virus software with most current version and data files (most software will work, there is great speculation as to which one is better) it's ultimately your choice.

2) Uninstall the hard drive from the infected computer.

3) Use the adapter or one like it pictured above to connect the infected drive to the clean system.

4) Once you do this and your uninfected computer recognizes the new drive you just attached it will appear as a volume just like a CD or thumb drive. (Start > Devices and Printers) You can right click the infected drive and choose SCAN by antivirus software.

By doing this you've mounted that entire drive as a file system and not a running operating system with files on it which can allow nasty malware to hide, rewrite itself even after being deleted, you name it. When it's a file system like this it's all harmless files as long as you don't install (run a program) from that hard drive.

5) If you didn't right click the drive you can usually open the anti-virus software and tell it what to scan. In our case here you'll scan that drive from your infected machine that you just connected. You'll be surprised what you find that you can't find while the operating system on the infected drive is running.

6) When the anti-virus is done scanning you should look at what it found. Print it out if you can and use that to determine where your initial problem came from.

7) Disconnect the now clean hard drive and re-install it in your computer.

8) Verify the problems are resolved.

One thing that you'll notice is how fast you can scan your entire drive when it's mounted as a file system. This in itself is the best reason to do it this way let alone all the benefits you get from your anti-virus working this way.

Now back to your anti-virus. I know people have different opinions about this but I can tell from 12 years of continued use the only thing I use is the Grisoft AVG free anti-virus. It is an absolute blessing and terrific program with all the modern bells and whistles. The thing I like the most about it is that it's easy on your system resources not to mention their data files and updates are top notch. Did I mention it's free? You'll have to scour the web for the link to download the product but if you search Grisoft's site you'll find it.  They also have a paid version but I've never used it so I don't know much about it. I imagine it's just as good it just doesn't nag you every couple months when it updates to become a paying customer which I think is a fair trade for good software at a good price.

Good luck out there and remember not everything that looks safe is. Think of everything you download as a prostitute you never know what kind of surprises you're going to get.

Oh and now that you have the drive adapter there's no reason you can't purchase a blank drive like the one in your machine and use something like GParted to clone it once it's clean. This is a great way to make a full and complete backup of your system.  Get good and this and you'll never loose anything again and never have to pay for backup sites.

Have fun.

Erik

• Like 1

those adaptor kits are f**ing LIVESAVERS!! I've had a hd crash or two, and having one of those saved thousands of good files off the old worn out drive to the new one.

well worth the investment!!

I must get myself one, sounds to be a good bit of kit !!

Thanks for your replies guys, I have installed Malware bytes from a free download site which was posted here. Thanks again to all of you for your advice and help. Now to get rid of that Adware crap on my system.....

Just to let you all know - I was able to clear my rig of all the crappy Adware which was interfering in the running of my system. Thanks for posting the links for the free Malware Bytes download.

Thanks guys. !!

• Like 1

run malwarebyes once a week... you should be able to set a time, even on the free version