SF2 KAW Tu-2 "Bat" by Cocas

The Tupolev Tu-2 was a medium bomber used by Soviet Air Force in WW2. Surplus Tu-2s were delivered to Chinese PLAAF post-war and organized into 3 bomber air divisions. During the Korean War, the 8th and 10th division conducted 3 air raids on Nov. 6th, 29th and 30th, 1951, against UN troops on Taehwa-do island, located about 70km southeast of the mouth of Yalu River. The first raid was most successful achieving acclaimed 90% hit rate. The third raid was intercepted by 4th FIW Sabres with heavy losses. Daylight sorties with prop driven bombers were thus phased out by both sides in the jet age.

Mod contains: aircraft Lod, cockpit, Data, NKPAF and PLAAF skins, damage textures, loadout icon, Decals, Pilots, engine sound.

Install requirement: None. Works on any SF2 install.

Credits:
Aircraft model by Cocas
Skins by Kulbit80
Flight model by Baffmeister
Engine sound by Jiver (from IL2 SAS)
Cockpit by Kesselbrut
Damage dds and ini adjustments by Wrench
Damage model by Do335

(Plz ping me if I missed anyone:X)

• Submitter
  • Submitted
    04/10/2016
  • Category

• Like 4

Nice looking model, thanks Cocas. Just the thing for the early Korean War.

I noticed a couple of small problems.

The lights are not accurately placed (they seem to just hang in the air, separate from the aircraft, which looks odd).

Also, the bomb bay doors seem to disappear when open, and viewed from the "inside".

On the Credits, I think the cockpit is by Kesselbrut, and the gunner figures by Capun.

Bah. If he who shall not be named doesn't agree, it will be removed. Otherwise it stays.

Found some more problems with this model.

There is some strange texture mapping around the nose, on both sides of the fuselage, which spoils the look of the aircraft in flight.

And the outer flaps do not sit properly in their recesses when they are retracted, they leave a visible gap at the trailing edge. The inner set of flaps work fine.

Also the holes.TGA files do not work properly - there are five of them, for the five different texture Tu-2 JPGs, but they are all the same file, and they do not really relate to all of the actual parts of the aircraft they are supposed to cover.

They may have been borrowed from another aircraft, rather than made for the Tu-2 (they look to me to have been borrowed from an A-Team aircraft, their style of holes.TGA files is pretty distinctive).

Hopefully these, and the other problems mentioned above, can be fixed. At present this release looks about 90% finished to me.

Edited by Gatling20

it's being (re)worked on, be patient!

My 50 bucks is still on standby :diablo: :diablo:

hmmm...

the only thing I've found wrong with the lights, are the landing lights. They should both be on the right wing. Other than that...

and this is from the package as it stands right now. 

• Like 1

That's strange, the wingtip lights were hanging in the air separate from the wings, for me.

I will download the package again and see if it is fixed.

You can see some of the strange texture mapping around the nose of this model, on that screenshot just posted, just aft of the bombardier's glasshouse.

we are very well aware of the mapping issues. It will be handled (we are working of 4 different aircraft all at the same time, so keep your shirt on!  :biggrin: )

The lights are fixed in the latest version of file ("Changelog 1.0"), and so is the see-thru bomb bay doors, thanks guys.

we are very well aware of the mapping issues. It will be handled (we are working of 4 different aircraft all at the same time, so keep your shirt on!  :biggrin: )

first it one my very early models so its has loads issues we slowly working on it since above it try to keep the mapping!

second 4 diferent aircraft that you now off Wrench im working on a fewe more jumping around like a bunny!

Hummm.... The shock legs and wheels are a bit undesized. :good:

The lights are fixed in the latest version of file ("Changelog 1.0"), and so is the see-thru bomb bay doors, thanks guys.

updated it duh. Will keep at it if new stuff goes out.

update 1.1 with Cocas 3d fixes and Wrench's dmg dds and some ini work.

• Like 1

It's better, thanks guys, but the V1.1 Data.INI now refers to a DestroyedModel=Tu2_DESTROYED.LOD, whereas before it used the stock C-47 destroyed model.

I think it only works if the Data.INI reads DestroyedModel=Tu-2S/Tu2_DESTROYED.LOD.

Also, the Tu2_Destroyed.LOD has a single, and very tall, tail fin, it looks nothing like the Tu-2 (which had twin tails).

I think the stock C-47 destroyed LOD, which was used in the earlier release packages, looked much better for the Tu-2.

Edited by Gatling20

It's better, thanks guys, but the V1.1 Data.INI now refers to a DestroyedModel=Tu2_DESTROYED.LOD, whereas before it used the stock C-47 destroyed model.

I think it only works if the Data.INI reads DestroyedModel=Tu-2S/Tu2_DESTROYED.LOD.

Also, the Tu2_Destroyed.LOD has a single, and very tall, tail fin, it looks nothing like the Tu-2 (which had twin tails).

I think the stock C-47 destroyed LOD, which was used in the earlier release packages, looked much better for the Tu-2.

ah yep I put the destroyed LOD under Objects\Aircraft\ and not in the Tu-2S folder, so the path is correct. Reason is for a dedicated build the destroyed model can be shared among different aircraft same as in eburger's campaign packs or my wings over Korea build or default 3w data, i.e. you got F-100A, F-100A_58, F-100D, F-100C.... like 6 different F-100 versions and no reason to pack 6 same destroyed LOD in the same install.

The C-47 is in Expansion pack 2 so for users without it they would have no destroyed LOD then. I think Wrench the wise figured out this one.

yup

If one looks at the destroyed statements for any stock aircraft that share a shape (Mig-21, Mig-17, Mig-19, Phantoms, F-100) you'll see they all have the same destroyed model.

and the pathways can be either

name-of-aircraft folder/name-of-destroyed model   (when said destroyed model resides within the aircraft's folder)

or

name-of-destroyed model (when model resides in the root of the /Objects/Aircraft subfolder

-----

as to it's shape...

it's a dead, burning pile of metal. All you should be seeing, if you're flying correctly in the cockpit, would be the funeral pyre and the "blackened carcass".

• Like 1

Good work Do335, Baffmeister and Cocas! Nice to see it out :good:

Two things:

-to see specular maps effect cut them all from main aircraft folder and copy to skins folders

- rename fourth specular texture from tu-2_4_SM.jpg to tu-2_4SM.jpg

Greetings.

eh thnx for the notice Kulbit80. I'm on it.