Sign in to follow this  
Piecemeal

Windows 10/Effects Problems?

Does anybody have any problems with third party effects while using Windows 10? I've had a problem with various effects from Stary's Unified Effects mod which used to work fine for me on Windows 7. One example is the ClusterBombletExplosionEffect - I release the CBU and there are no bomblet explosions on the surface. In each case with each effect I've checked and re-checked to ensure that everything necessary is in the Effects folder.

Same here, no problem with these effects using my old Window 7 (desktop) computer, similar issues with my two others Windows 10 computers (Desktop & Laptop) not related to the graphic card :  one fitted with Nvidia GTX 970 the other with AMD Radeon R7 M260

I don't think I'm having too many problems in SF2 WOE, but I may not be seeing what I am missing - if you know what I mean. 

I am noting a lot of problems in FE2 effects with win10.  I feel as if the individual effects ini files are not being read, ie changes I make to them seem to have no effect, while editing the PARTICLESYSTEM.INI does...  Also have problems with missing effects and have been especially frustrated by muzzle blast and tracer mods which just don't work.

It was pointed out a while back that win10 is case-sensitive, and that it was necessary to ensure the names of the various files being called out in the ini files matched the case of the actual file.  Might

Nicholas: i think the individual effects files are ignored by game engine if you have particlesystem.ini in the mods folder... so it's either use individual effects, or use one single ps.ini, them 2 ways mutually exclusive.

^does not help with win10 prob however. i'm just avoiding it at all cost:|

Edited by Do335
  • Like 1

IIRC Spudknocker made a thread about a similar issue with Win10 regarding unexpected crashes with terrains, it had to do with the files, now everything seems case sensitive.  I'm wondering though, has anyone tried running SF2 with compatibility modes? And with administrator rights?  I am on Win10, but I can't check atm.

• Like 1

Nicholas: i think the individual effects files are ignored by game engine if you have particlesystem.ini in the mods folder... so it's either use individual effects, or use one single ps.ini, them 2 ways mutually exclusive.

Thanks, DO335!  That did the trick for most of the effects.  Still not getting the KAW tracers I want in FE2, but I've obviously messed up somewhere....

I think you hit the nail on the head there, Do335. I renamed ​ClusterBombletExplosionEffect to the stock ​ClusterBombEffect

Problem solved! Third party effects - stock name; and NO messing about with the ParticleSystem file :biggrin:

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction

• Like 1