Sign in to follow this  
Silberpfeil

Strength of World's Air Forces

Nice heat map, many thanks.

This is a year out of date but is a reasonable resource also... Flight Global's World Air Forces directory...

https://d1fmezig7cekam.cloudfront.net/VPP/Global/Flight/Airline%20Business/AB%20home/Edit/WorldAirForces2015.pdf

2016 is available but I haven't found a direct pdf link yet, alas this was never an issue when I had access to their ACAS database.

• Like 1

Thanks, Jimbib.  I hope you got a chance to select some of the other links embedded in the brief article - the air show pix from Davis-Monthan are especially nice!

Sad to see in Flight Global link that combat ac strength of RAF is now less than 20% of what it was in my time ('72-'94). Yes I know they're individually far more capable now, but numbers give operational depth. Plus it only needs one unforeseen airworthiness issue (eg Valiant 1960's, Buccaneer 1980's) and suddenly you're down to a handful of ac. Gives a new meaning to The Few ("_too_ few to risk"?)

• Like 2

I agree, Mike Dora, that the detail in Jimbib's link supports a disturbing trend. While individual platform capability has improved dramatically, we are getting closer and closer to the point where that capability is able to be compromised by a variety of non-traditional means.  And, the specialized training for personnel and the increasing time involved with aircraft turnaround between missions due their complexity, coupled with the exorbitant expense of each, makes me a proponent of reversing the trends brought about by purse-string holding politicians whose only short-term interest is in getting elected!