JimAttrill

Just to keep you on your toes - what aircraft is this?

Well done!  The Finns bought used ones from the Aircraft Disposal Company which had got them from the RAF. 

More to guess? I came too late (but then I hadn't known the craft anyway... :blind: ).

Edited by Olham

The skiis were probably not RFC standard-issue, but the Finnish insignia and letters (MA for Martinsyde) gave it away.

Try this one - it is a bit harder ...post-48335-0-39255700-1463750854.jpg

If you get this right you get a banana :biggrin:

I don't want a banana, Jim - can I have a mango? :beee:

It wasn't too hard, once I had found out which air force emblem that was.

But I admit, I hadn't even known the craft before!

I guess it is this one (the name is hidden in the image)...

IAR-80-production.jpg

Edited by Olham

I haven't seen that picture before but you get the prize

post-48335-0-82033000-1463761393.jpg

Argh, a banana!

If you can tell me this prop-driven aircraft (not the jet), you can win your banana back!

xXx.jpg

Well, it's a PW Canada PT6 powerplant so it had to be a Embraer Tucano or a Pilatus PC-9.   The Thai roundel gives it away as a PC-9.  This is the trainer the RAF wanted but were forced to have the Short-built Tucano instead.  The RAF got a few 'free'  armed Tucanos from the Argenitinians which were captured at Port Stanley in the Falklands war.  I don't think they gave them back. 

I checked - there are two Argentinian Pucaras in England.  Both are now in museums, one at Duxford and the other at Cosford.  This last (sno A-515) was restored to flying condition and used by MOD Boscombe Down.  This was in 1982 and it may not be a coincidence that the RAF ordered the Short-built Tucano with uprated Garrett engine in 1984. 

Edited by JimAttrill

Geeze, you know your business, Jim! How did you recognise the powerplant?

I love the look of both planes - the Pilatus and the Tucano! somehow beautiful airfcraft!

Yes it is a Pilatus PC-9 but of the Slovenian air force.   Got the roundel slightly wrong.   Wiki has a nice picture of no 69.   The PT-6 is pretty easy to recognise with its large exhausts on either side.  As the engine has been used in over a hundred different aircraft it is a good guess that it is a PT-6.   Out of interest, the engine is mounted backwards, so to speak, with the inlet underneath usually.   The intake air goes forwards and through the turbine and out the exhausts at the front.   Just to be different it has 3 or 4 axial compressor stages and a centrifugal stage.   One of its uses is to re-engine DC3s! 

Try this one.  Clue - this is a trick question :angel:post-48335-0-09073600-1463822403.jpg

Anyone know what this was (before it was written off?)

post-22245-0-06699700-1463836880_thumb.jpg

Hmmm... - looks like a hybrid of a Messerschmidt Bf 108 Taifun and a Messerschmidt 109 Hispano-Suiza.

Maybe the angle - I'd go for the 108, because of the canopy.

EDIT: Jim's craft, I meant - no idea what yours is, Widow!

I like your avatar, by the way!

Does your Border Collie often use your computer, when you aren't sitting at it? :lol:

(He looks as if he knew how to get into WIKIPEDIA!)

Edited by Olham
  • Like 1

Yes Olham... she's currently comparing the DVII's capabilities, when up against the Sopwith Snipe! :)

• Like 1

I'd go for the 108, because of the canopy.

Can't be a Bf-108. That was a four-seater. Jim says this is a trick question. I'm betting that it's a commercially available airplane cosmetically altered to look like an Me-109.

Hmm.... two piston engines.   Could be a Vickers Viking or an Airspeed Ambassador.

I said the one I posted was a trick question.  Yes, it looks like an Me108 but it isn't.   The engine is not correct for an Me.   But quite a lot of these were made for the Germans in WWII. 

It appears at airshows in England.   Note the swastika which is not legal in Germany but is elsewhere. 

Edited by JimAttrill

Yes, it looks like an Me108 but it isn't.   The engine is not correct for an Me.   But quite a lot of these were made for the Germans in WWII. 

OK, that's what it isn't. But...what is it?

Yes Olham... she's currently comparing the DVII's capabilities, when up against the Sopwith Snipe! :)

Mmuahahahahaaa!!!

Clever as the beautiful lady is looking, I bet she can even tell the difference between a Fokker D.VII and the D.VIIF !

• Like 1

OK, that's what it isn't. But...what is it?

The Me108 had an Argus inverted V8 engine.   The one in the picture has an inline engine.   

Well, but it still is a Bf108 then, innit? I said, kinda hybrid - I won, I won! :bb:

I cannot believe that's a four-seater aircraft. (but...I'll take your word for it.) What then, makes this a trick question, Jim?

The trick is that it looks like an Me108 but it actually is not.   There is not a German rivet in it :beee:

The trick is that it looks like an Me108 but it actually is not.   There is not a German rivet in it :beee:

Aha! So...what is it? Am I correct in thinking that it's not a four-seater? What country makes it?