Sign in to follow this  
cperleberg

Weapons In FE2

OK, I did due diligence and can't find it.

Why don't I get bombs and Le Prieur rockets in FE2? How are weapons handled in FE2? As in SF2? Are weapons in discrete folders within an Objects/Weapons folder? Is a weapons.dat file still necessary?

Edited by cperleberg

I'm assuming that FE2 handles weapons similarly to SF2. Most of the aircraft guns are stored in your user directory for FE2 - in the "Guns" folder (found inside the "Objects" folder). There is also a Gundata.ini file that should be directly inside the "Objects" folder. The aircraft data ini files then call up the relevant gun data, sounds, etc. (there should also be a Soundlist.ini file located in your "Flight" folder - where extra gun/engine sounds are added to correspond with stuff in the gundata.ini, also in the gun ini files themselves that are located in the specific gun folders inside "Guns").

There is also a "Weapons" folder located on the same level as the "Flight" folder in your user directory for FE2. From what I've noticed, most of the weapons inside that folder are bombs, although there are a few references there too to Lewis, Vickers. etc. - that Weapons folder I have to admit is a bit of a mystery to me since it also contains streamers for the Morane N and the LePrieur rockets - neither of which I've ever been able to get working inside FE2.

There were a few old threads floating here on the FE/FE2 forums from a few years back - with directions for installing the rockets and streamers - I've tried all the directions but nothing worked. I think another issue that is related to the same problem is the difficulty of getting a Vickers gun set up on the Nieuport 16 in FE2. The stock model with the Lewis gun on the top wing is fine, since it loads it as a part of the plane parts themselves - but the "weapons" load inis that are supposed to switch between Lewis guns, Vickers guns, etc., don't seem to work at all in FE2 - I've tested this several times while trying to get the Vickers onto the Nieu. 16 - never managed to get it there, either through weapons load or through standard "internal gun" placement as is the case with most models for FE2.

I think the mystery is somewhere in there - getting the Vickers to show up on the Nieu 16 will also get the streamers on the Bullet and the LePrieurs showing up, or vice versa.

I look forward to a resolution of the mystery.

Happy flying,

Von S

Edited by VonS
  • Like 1

In SF2, the weapons folder is beneath Objects. And there doens't seem to be a weapons.ini file.

Hello, the main user directory for FE2 should contain both the Objects and Weapons folders. Here's a pic. of my setup below. Inside your Weapons folder there should be a WeaponData.ini file somewhere. It's likely then that the file structure is not identical across FE2 and SF2.

Von S

post-86760-0-32986200-1465447513.jpg

Edited by VonS

Weapon and Guns folders are both in the Objects Folder in all my setups, SF2 and FE2.  Not saying it doesn't work that way too, but all the all-in-one packs come with the Weapons and Guns in the Object folder.

• Like 1

Thank you Nick for this info. - have now done an experiment, I placed the Weapons folder inside the Objects folder, took the Weapondata.dat and Weapondata.ini files out of the Weapons folder and placed those two directly into the Objects folder - imitating the setup for "Guns" - and a great surprise, I then had functional Le Prieur rockets showing up on the Nieu 16 in a balloon busting mission! Will see if this resolves the problem with the missing Vickers gun on the late Nieu 16 too.

Von S

FE2 is set up exactly like SF2 -- Objects/Weapons or Objects/Guns for add ons

there is no need for seperate weaponsdata ini or gundata ini in FE2 as they are handled by each individual "objects" sub folder within the 2 main folder ( --/Guns, --/Weapons), that contains the specific (main) ini and data ini.

VonS, safe to assume you're on FE1/Gold?

In that case, having the items added to the weaponsdata  and gun data inis, those 2 inis would reside at the root of the /Objects folder, as was done for many years with SF1. 

(oddly enough, SF1 at the 08 patch level allowed for folderized storage for new weapons -for the lods and skns- but they still had to be added to the weaponsdata ini, via the Weapons Editor,  with said ini residing in the /Objects folder, )

Well, I still can't get anything to work (I can't even get bombs to appear on the stock SE5as). Set everything up like SF2 (weapons and guns in Objects folder, Le Prieur rockets in weapons folder in three sub folders.) 

I notice there is a weapons.dat file in the .cat files.

FE2 is set up exactly like SF2 -- Objects/Weapons or Objects/Guns for add ons

there is no need for seperate weaponsdata ini or gundata ini in FE2 as they are handled by each individual "objects" sub folder within the 2 main folder ( --/Guns, --/Weapons), that contains the specific (main) ini and data ini.

VonS, safe to assume you're on FE1/Gold?

In that case, having the items added to the weaponsdata  and gun data inis, those 2 inis would reside at the root of the /Objects folder, as was done for many years with SF1. 

(oddly enough, SF1 at the 08 patch level allowed for folderized storage for new weapons -for the lods and skns- but they still had to be added to the weaponsdata ini, via the Weapons Editor,  with said ini residing in the /Objects folder, )

Hi Wrench, thanks for the detailed info. I'm on FE2 but for some reason always had a gundata.ini and gundata.dat file in my main "Objects" folder (maybe this was something that WineSkin did once I installed FE2 into it on OS X). Now I've got my Objects folder sorted out as posted in the pic below, and LePrieurs are working great - also good is that the Vickers is now showing up on the Nieu16 (Late) model.

Glad to know that I don't have to paste weapons/guns entries into the gundata.ini and weapondata.ini files anymore since the individual gun/weapon data inis do all of that for you on FE2 - for some reason I thought all of the files worked together (even the inis in the main Objects folder) so I was keeping all of the inis as consistent as possible - how they got there considering that I'm on FE2 I can't explain other than to attribute it to WineSkin.

Happy flying,

Von S

post-86760-0-84008700-1465494642_thumb.jpg

post-86760-0-25801900-1465495119_thumb.jpg

OK, VonS, if I understand you correctly, you're running FE2 and getting the rockets to work. I matched your folder pic (using files extracted from the cat file) and it still doesn't work.

What's in your guns and weapons files?

I have nothing in guns and only the stock weapons in Weapons (derived from the extracted Weapons.ini file and the SF2 Weapons editor).

Edited by cperleberg

Hi CPerleBerg, yes I'm on FE2 and using Nick Bell's and Wrench's suggestions - to place the Weapons folder inside Objects - I managed to get rockets working, and also the Vickers gun on the late model Nieuport 16. Haven't tested the streamers on the Morane Bullet yet but will try that out later.

I'll pm a zipped file to you that contains my Weapons and Guns folders, and the dat and ini files that correspond with those two folders - simply unzip and install, overriding those folders in your Objects folder. (I've added a few extra gun variants inside the Guns folder  - those gun variants use extra sounds that are available in the install file for my FM and realism update pack for FE2 - it's located under "flight model" updates for FE2 here on the site.)

Happy flying,

Von S

Quick update: streamers now work fine on the flight leader's Morane Bullet in FE2.

Happy flying,

Von S

post-86760-0-58816600-1465507632_thumb.jpg

OK, it now works! Thanks much! But I had to download the Nieuport 16 megapack -- the Nieuport 16 I had didn't work.

Don't know why, but I'm gonna investigate, as I still don't have the rockets on the Nieuport 11.

Thanks again!

Strange. I copy the loadout.ini from the N16 to the N11. I modify the station data in the 11 data.ini file. But nothing. What am I missing?

Here's a zipped folder that contains my modified lodouts for the late Vickers Nieu. 16, the Nieu. 11, and also a modified data file that I just made for the Nieu. 11 that does give me rockets in FE2 (the services dates are for the Eastern front in this Nieu. 11 data file but you can change it around for the relevant front - I will get around to uploading the changes eventually in an 8.5 version of my FM and realism update pack). Glad to hear that the Guns/Weapons folder works well now!

The Nieu. 11 data file was missing rocket and pod info. for some reason so I had to copy-and-paste from the Nieu. 16 data ini. Also its lodout file is now similar to that of the Nieu. 16 - previously it was missing several entries.

The Nieu.17 and 17bis types are fine as is - rockets do show up - have just tested those.

Happy flying,

Von S

Edited by VonS

Yeah, well that fixed the Nie11, although I wish I knew why. Haven't checked the Nie16 Vickers or Morane ribbon, but I will.

You have been a biiiiiiig help(as in, except for you, it would still not work!)

• Like 1

Glad you have the rockets now on the Nieu11. Some of the code inside the data ini for the Nieu11 had to be modified for the LePrieurs to show up. The mods are included below if you'd like to see them (adding of weapon nodes to the left and right sections of the wings, also specifying the weapon station types - the original Nieu11 data ini had none of that included, no wonder the rockets weren't showing up).

Happy flying,

Von S

Code changes follow:

[TopWingMidLeft]

SystemName[002]=centerWingStation

SystemName[003]=centerWingStation3

SystemName[004]=WingRockets02

SystemName[005]=WingRockets04

SystemName[006]=WingRockets06

SystemName[007]=WingRockets08

SystemName[008]=leftWingRocketRail

[TopWingMidRight]

SystemName[002]=centerWingStation2

SystemName[003]=centerWingStation4

SystemName[004]=WingRockets01

SystemName[005]=WingRockets03

SystemName[006]=WingRockets05

SystemName[007]=WingRockets07

SystemName[008]=RightWingRocketRail

// Weapon Stations -----

[LeftWingRocketRail]

SystemType=WEAPON_STATION

StationID=1

StationGroupID=1

StationType=EXTERNAL

AttachmentPosition=-2.68,0.362,0.00

AttachmentAngles=0.0,15.0,0.0

LoadLimit=5

AllowedWeaponClass=FT

AttachmentType=NATO

ModelNodeName=

PylonMass=0.01

PylonDragArea=0.00

NoJettisionTank=TRUE

FuelTankName=LePrieurTube

[RightWingRocketRail]

StationID=2

StationGroupID=2

StationType=EXTERNAL

AttachmentPosition=2.68,0.362,0.00

LoadLimit=5

AllowedWeaponClass=FT

AttachmentType=NATO

ModelNodeName=

PylonMass=0.01

PylonDragArea=0.00

NoJettisionTank=TRUE

FuelTankName=LePrieurTube

[WingRockets01]

StationID=3

StationGroupID=3

StationType=EXTERNAL

LoadLimit=5

AttachmentPosition=2.68,0.362,0.017

AllowedWeaponClass=RCKT

EjectVelocity=0.0,150.0,30.0

AttachmentType=NATO

ModelNodeName=

PylonMass=0.001

PylonDragArea=0.00

[WingRockets02]

StationID=4

StationGroupID=3

StationType=EXTERNAL

LoadLimit=5

AttachmentPosition=-2.68,0.362,0.017

AllowedWeaponClass=RCKT

AttachmentType=NATO

ModelNodeName=

PylonMass=0.001

PylonDragArea=0.00

[WingRockets03]

StationID=5

StationGroupID=3

StationType=EXTERNAL

LoadLimit=5

AttachmentPosition=2.68,0.362,0.137

AllowedWeaponClass=RCKT

AttachmentType=NATO

ModelNodeName=

PylonMass=0.001

PylonDragArea=0.00

[WingRockets04]

StationID=6

StationGroupID=3

StationType=EXTERNAL

LoadLimit=5

AttachmentPosition=-2.68,0.362,0.137

AllowedWeaponClass=RCKT

AttachmentType=NATO

ModelNodeName=

PylonMass=0.001

PylonDragArea=0.00

[WingRockets05]

StationID=7

StationGroupID=3

StationType=EXTERNAL

LoadLimit=5

AttachmentPosition=2.68,0.362,0.257

AllowedWeaponClass=RCKT

EjectVelocity=0.0,90.0,18.0

AttachmentType=NATO

ModelNodeName=

PylonMass=0.001

PylonDragArea=0.00

[WingRockets06]

StationID=8

StationGroupID=3

StationType=EXTERNAL

LoadLimit=5

AttachmentPosition=-2.68,0.362,0.257

AllowedWeaponClass=RCKT

AttachmentType=NATO

ModelNodeName=

PylonMass=0.001

PylonDragArea=0.00

[WingRockets07]

StationID=9

StationGroupID=3

StationType=EXTERNAL

LoadLimit=5

AttachmentPosition=2.68,0.362,0.377

AllowedWeaponClass=RCKT

AttachmentType=NATO

ModelNodeName=

PylonMass=0.001

PylonDragArea=0.00

[WingRockets08]

StationID=10

StationGroupID=3

StationType=EXTERNAL

LoadLimit=5

AttachmentPosition=-2.68,0.362,0.377

AllowedWeaponClass=RCKT

AttachmentType=NATO

ModelNodeName=

PylonMass=0.001

PylonDragArea=0.00

Ah! Missed the TopWingMid changes.

My next project is getting rid of that stupid overwing Lewis in DAT's Bristol F2B. I've followed WW1 aviation for 50 years and never ran across such a gun.

Any ideas? I've tried deleting references in the data.ini file,but more is required.

Edited by cperleberg

I got rid of the top-wing Lewis gun on the Nieu17C1 and 17bis types by looking under the relevant section of the data ini file, such as [Fuselage], [Nose], [TopWing], etc., and getting rid of the entry that reads as:

SystemName[001]=InternalGun

InternalGun might be written as InternalGun1 or InternalGun01, and the SystemName might have a different number, but once you spot the offending one and remove it you're half way there.

The other thing to do is to go under the // Internal Guns ---- section and remove the offending [internalGun] entry. This did the trick for removing the Lewis on the Vickers-armed Nieu. 17 since most of those came from the factory with the Vickers-only anyway. Top-wing Lewises on Nieu. 17 and later types were field mods from what I've read. The RFC would sometimes remove the Vickers entirely on those.

Also check out the post linked below, since it mentions how to include a "dummyweapon" to make the offending weapon invisible:

http://combatace.com/topic/72556-dh4-single-guns-how-to-mod/?p=571158

If for some reason the tips above don't work, it means that the guns are "hardcoded" onto the plane in one of the LOD files that's included in the plane's folder - I think a program like 3Ds Max is needed to open LOD files.

Happy flying,

Von S

The gun's entries can be removed (what kind of gun and how much ammo) from the data ini as VonS has shown.

however, IF the gun is part of the physical model, there IS a data ini trick to remove that mesh.. However, one needs the LOD and Mue's Lod Viewer.

From there, it's just adding a few simple statements to the data ini to remove the component (hereinafter referred to as the "remove component trick"

• Like 1

Quick update: streamers now work fine on the flight leader's Morane Bullet in FE2.

attachicon.gifimg00001.JPG

Oho! Pennants (streamers)! :shok: How did you do this? And they really are fluttering in the wind, or simply stretched as snot? IMHO, that it is not binding for all, but it's very, VERY interesting addition.

Edited by Crawford

Oho! Pennants (streamers)! :shok: How did you do this? And they really are fluttering in the wind, or simply stretched as snot? IMHO, that it is not binding for all, but it's very, VERY interesting addition.

Hello Crawford, yes I am very pleased that several things were resolved in this thread, thanks to input by several members, particularly Wrench and NBell. The long-standing problem that I had with a missing Vickers gun on one of the Nieu. 16 types, also the missing LePrieurs on the early Nieuports, and the strange problem with the streamers on the Morane Bullet - have been resolved.

The solution for the streamers is very simple - the Weapons folder that had resided in my main FirstEagles2 user folder was placed into the Objects folder. Also taken out of the Weapons folder and placed directly into the Objects folder were the Weapondata.dat and Weapondata.ini files (those were for some reason initially located inside my Weapons folder).

This simple rearrangement allows for the streamers to show up on the Morane N if flight leader is selected in the loadout  section of the menu, before flying the Morane Bullet in FE2. I had seen the streamer in some pictures from the FE1/FEgold days - but until this folder rearrangement I could not reduplicate it in FE2.

The streamers do flutter, and produce a nice effect. I think however that they are only red in color, but I am glad that they work now. The Vickers on the late Nieu. 16 now also works, as do LePrieurs on the 16 and 17 types, and on the 11 (after some modification of its data ini file). I will post the modified data inis with a version 8.5 update to my FM tweaks. The Nieu 23 also can carry LePrieurs, the 24 and later Nieuport types don't have them - possibly this is historical since Le Prieurs were somewhat outdated by later 1917/early 1918 - and incendiary bullets were by then more frequently used for "balloon busting."

Happy flying,

Von S

• Like 1

Yeah, they flutter. Gonna have to figure a way to get them on other AC.

BTW, the MS N is really nicely done! I love the way the Hotchkiss gun magazine works.

Haven't looked at the FB2 yet -- on a trip to Santa Fe, NM -- but I am trying to figure out why the roundels don't show up on the DAT Fe8. The other decals do (I mean, I moved every thing to the right place in the decals folder), but not the roundels or tail colors .

check the pathways in the decals ini -- depending on the age of the aircraft (when it was released), many are incorrectly written