Sign in to follow this  
Mike Dora

Designating a "Hostile" Side in SF2

I have a slightly esoteric technical question. I recently converted an old SF1 "Soviet Afghanistan" setup to SF2 standards (I like flying the Su25!). Everything works fine, with the Soviets shown as "Friendly" and Afghanistan (ie Taliban) shown as "Enemy". These sides are reflected in both the Nations.ini file in the Flight folder, and also in the Afghanistan_Nations.ini file in the Terrains\Afghanistan folder. Copies of both files attached to illustrate.

So far so good. But I would quite like to add in Pakistan, so that I can replicate their occasional "border protection" counter-Soviet F-16 ops in the late 80's. To do this of course I would have to show Pakistan as "Enemy" (I don't really mean that! Spent several happy months there in early 2010, and have had some highly-respected Pak military colleagues..  ).

Trouble is, when I amend Pakistan from "Friendly" to "Enemy" in the listed files, and try to select the Pak F-16A that I imported from elsewhere, I get a CTD before I get to the Hangar screen. The Pak F-16A selects and flies OK if I show Pakistan as "Friendly" though, so I'm pretty sure it's not the ac model that's the problem.

So friends, any diagnoses and/or advice please?

Thanks

Mike

NATIONSini.txt

Afghanistan_NATIONSini.txt

There's no hostile airbases on the map, since the Mujahideen didn't have any air power.

yup, one enemy airbase, at the very least, is required. On ALL maps

Thanks Guys

That solved it. I created an "Enemy" airbase at Peshawar, east of Jalalabad across the Pak border, and lo and behold I can now fly PAF missions to "defend the border against Soviet incursions".

This may be a little-known aspect of the first Afghan air war, as many as 8 Soviet ac were shot down by the PAF. These included a Frogfoot flown by Alexander Rutskoy, later the leader of the abortive 1993 coup attempt in Russia.

Mike

True, Stratos, they did end up with bits and pieces of the DRAAF after the Soviets left.