Geary

Looking for Lesser Known KAW Planes Help

Hi all,

I'm looking for information and pictures on some of the lesser known planes that flew in the Korean War.

I've found scant references to these planes but can't seem to pin down anything definitive on their missions (usage), units, skins, etc...

We have a few of these planes in the SF inventory but they may not be the exact model and may need some remodeling work and/or skin work to be presentable as close stand-ins.

They are the:

SB-17 (B-17) - USAF and maybe the USN?  Seems there were different versions and missions for this plane.  I saw one Search and Rescue version that has a boat slung under the fuselage.  I might need to make a template. 

P4Y Privateer (B-24) - Used by the USN?  Don't know the usage, units, skins, etc. I saw on reference to 'Firefly' night illumination missions.  I think we have the flares for this mission.  Might need to make a template.

TBM-3 Avenger - Used by the USN and USMC?  The USMC reference I found states they used it as an ambulance?  Have no definitive info on the USN usage.  Might need to make a template.

Short Sunderland - Used by the RAF/FAA and RAN?  Need usage, units, skins, etc.  I have no other info on this.  Might need to make a template. 

If anyone has templates for any of these planes I would very much appreciate your sharing them.

If any of these already exist for the Korean Air War, please point me to them.

Any and all info and help on this is appreciated.

(If you're bored with your current projects or looking for something to do, you are welcome to help on this mini project.  I won't chain you to it.)

Geary

• Like 1

SB-17 is USAF used for SAR -that's the one with the lifeboat (we don't have one)

OTH, we do have the PB-1W Navy Fortress, used for radar picket patrols

PB4Y-2 Privateer is USN - no such aircraft exists. used for patrol and ELINT

TBM-3 used only by USN. I did it some years back ....

none of these have any actual usage in game, excepting maybe the PB-1W as is main mission tasking is "NAVAL_SEARCH" 

Thought someone had posted a Sunderland WIP few years back, or are my memories just being wishful?

Wrench,

Thanks for the info.  Did you up load the TBM-3 you did years back?

DA,

Now that you mention it, my memories seem to think there was a Sunderland WIP.  Probably just wishful thinking..

I seem to remember a B-45 WIP, too.  Of course it might be wishful thinking or something I saw on another forum.

I don't remember if Veltro ever finished his Sunderland...

BTW, it was RAF 88 and 209 Squadrons that had detachments at Iwakuni. The little info I have shows them in "all white" sea search scheme

the TBM-3 pak should still be in the 1stGen downloads someplace. Since it's DAT ... well, no LOD

I have the MAX files for the B-45, but nobody wants to pick it up and finish it.