Hauksbee

Designed To Be Seen From Afar...

In looking at aerial photos of WWI airfields, the one thing that pops out is that there are (frequently) several different kinds of aircraft parked in front of hangars and along the runways. Which is eminently reasonable; several different squadrons sharing the same airfield.

In the past, I have made several forays into 3D modeling WWI aircraft, but I have neither the patience, nor the skills, to build super-accurate, richly detailed models that you can (virtually) walk right up to, much less sit in. So I've decided to focus on building models that are static and work when seen at a distance. The current modding enthusiasm for airfields in WOFF seems like the perfect place. So here's the first: a Caudron G.3. It will require a prop and some additional texturing, but, for all intents and purposes, it's finished. The G.4 is next up.

Untitled-2.png

Edited by Hauksbee
  • Like 1

Excellent!  Very good analysis - there is always a need for static model aircraft for airfields. 

Thanks Geezer. I'm a little concerned that the bracing wires are too thick, but the choices are between (1) visible at a distance, and (2) accurate and invisible. I'll wait until I get one imported into WOFF and massage the model if it needs it.

I'm working on a batch of WW1 3D aircraft to send you.  Hopefully, they will assist you in working out how to make airfield objects.  FWIW, I've found that LOD2 (and subsequent) look more realistic without bracing wires.  There is a widespread misconception that bracing wires should be black.  That almost never happened in the real world - they were usually primered or anodized grays or greens. 

Also, never use true black as a general color:  http://combatace.com/topic/87534-art101-for-modders-theory/

post-39531-0-76414500-1473684242.jpg

post-39531-0-00890800-1473684255_thumb.jpg

Good advice, Geezer. I changed to color and they look world's better already. I read the link you included. I'll copy that over into my Master Mod folder and keep it in long-term memory.

COMPOSITE.jpg

Robert Wiggins converted my model to an .m3d and took it into WOFF. Here's what it looks like in flight.

Capture.JPG

• Like 2

In looking at aerial photos of WWI airfields, the one thing that pops out is that there are (frequently) several different kinds of aircraft parked in front of hangars and along the runways. Which is eminently reasonable; several different squadrons sharing the same airfield.

In the past, I have made several forays into 3D modeling WWI aircraft, but I have neither the patience, nor the skills, to build super-accurate, richly detailed models that you can (virtually) walk right up to, much less sit in. So I've decided to focus on building models that are static and work when seen at a distance. The current modding enthusiasm for airfields in WOFF seems like the perfect place. So here's the first: a Caudron G.3. It will require a prop and some additional texturing, but, for all intents and purposes, it's finished. The G.4 is next up.

attachicon.gifUntitled-2.png

The caudron G3, an important early plane (until Verdun)

I wish I had it in First Eagle, and I would buy WoFF if it were in !

Well, they just added the G.4 for the coming edition. Can the G.3 be far behind?

This is awesome guys.   More static models is a good thing.  It helps breathe even more "life" into the sim.  I can't wait to see your finished products.

You can check out some of the new images of WOFF UE if you've got Facebook.  Aside from new planes, they added in "winter trees" that I think makes a hell of a difference in winter immersion.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/616373985096671/1164823143585083/?notif_t=group_activity&notif_id=1475159079292133

Edited by Hellshade