Sign in to follow this  
Gunrunner

Engine sounds not playing at all ? Here is a solution for some planes...

My, what a click-baity title that was...

Have you ever noticed that, beyond the known bug of engine sound playing only when the game feels like it, there are some planes which simply refuse to play their engine sounds ?

I've recently had the problem with some F4U/AU-1 and couldn't figure it out, the engine sound worked fine on another plane and other engine sounds known to work simply refused to play.

After an hour of testing (mostly waiting for the game to load), here's the solution I found for the Corsairs.

The Corsairs use two engineIDs, one for the actual engine, the other for additional exhaust effects, which is a perfectly valid technique but which prevents the sound from playing.

The Data ini looks something like :

[Fuselage]
ModelNodeName=Fuselage
[...]
SystemName[001]=CenterlineStation
SystemName[002]=FuselageFuelCell
SystemName[003]=TopRedLight
SystemName[004]=Pilot
SystemName[005]=BottomRedLight
SystemName[006]=TailGear
SystemName[007]=Canopy
SystemName[008]=Tailhook
SystemName[009]=WingFold

[Nose]
ParentComponentName=Fuselage
ModelNodeName=Nose
[...]
SystemName[001]=Engine
SystemName[002]=Nozzle
SystemName[003]=ExhaustEngine <- This is the problem

The solution is simple, move the "fake" engines to the [Fuselage] or other relevant parent and suddenly you will have engine sounds without losing the additional effects.

[Fuselage]
ModelNodeName=Fuselage
[...]
SystemName[001]=CenterlineStation
SystemName[002]=FuselageFuelCell
SystemName[003]=TopRedLight
SystemName[004]=Pilot
SystemName[005]=BottomRedLight
SystemName[006]=TailGear
SystemName[007]=Canopy
SystemName[008]=Tailhook
SystemName[009]=WingFold
SystemName[010]=ExhaustEngine <- ExhaustEngine has a new home, notice the SystemName number changed to fit the sequence

[Nose]
ParentComponentName=Fuselage
ModelNodeName=Nose
[...]
SystemName[001]=Engine
SystemName[002]=Nozzle

In case you wondered, changing the EngineID doesn't work (and yes, it works on some planes with other types of fake engines, specifically those are set as 0 thrust engines, while all the problematic fake engines are set up as pure effect emitters).

Edited by Gunrunner
  • Like 1

Had a souond problem a couple months ago.

After instaling one campaign pack (can't remember which one) my prop planes sounded like they were on steroids :) I checked the sound files inside this pack and found that the engine sound for the F-18C hornet was the problem (don't ask me why). I kept the afterburner sound, but changed the main sound to the one of the F-117 as they use the same engine in real life and it solves the problem.

I could use some help on bomb release sound,, please. thought I had it but don't.

bomb release sounds have never worked in the SF series. Yet another thing TK never gave us

odd, that I've never had that problem with any of the Corsairs, but hey! Great find and an excellent fix!!!