Sign in to follow this  
Sheriff001

CF-111 - Work in progress

I've just started another what-if. This time, a Canadian F-111. The baseline will be the F-111C, and an RF-111C that I jury-rigged from the RF-111A in the Supervark pack. I was thinking of 1968 intended delivery (missed for reasons that everyone should know), 1973 actual delivery, retirement sometime in the late 1990s, or early 21st century. Operation FRICTION naturally. Not sure if I should do a specific scheme for that. 

The skins I was thinking of were overall CAF green initially, both CAF and symmetrical markings. CAF camo with symmetrical markings (low vis red/blue markings, no white) for the 1980s. For 1990 to retirement, gunship grey with black Federal Identity Markings.

post-79989-0-89013100-1485856923_thumb.jpg

post-79989-0-95573600-1485856928_thumb.jpg

post-79989-0-99594500-1485856926_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Canadians markings are a real mess (believe me, i know it), especially in the 60's - 70's era.

I may do some self promotion here, but if you want to see the correct templates of the RCAF + schemes, go find my CT-133 in the download section :

http://combatace.com/files/file/16354-sf2-t-33a-canadair-ct-133-silver-star/

I made all skins + markings from 1955 to 2002 (17 different schemes). But markings are correct.

Also remember that you bird numbers will start by 111, so plane 001 will be 111001 and so on.

On a personnal note, looking forward to see your work! I am almost done with my CF-101. Only have to work on a decal on my special 416 squadron scheme but all others are made.

still needs to be finished....

clunk.JPG

• Like 6

still needs to be finished....

What! The CF-100! My wish come true! Looking forward to it Wrench.

I'm done with my CF-101 decals, so should upload it tonight.

This is my source of information on Canadian military aircraft markings: http://www.canmilair.com/schemes.htm.

I also take into account that the markings don't change right away. For example, the Federal Identity Program began in 1983, yet the CF-18s went to war in 1991 in symmetrical markings. So my plan is to time it with a change in colour from camouflage to gunship grey. 

I've previously produced revised skins for the stock CF-104, as well as several what-ifs such as the CF-4E, a CF-105 (Thud, not Arrow), CF-4K, and CF-4M. 

I use the RCAF font that is available on the web for most of the markings. For the "ARMED FORCES/FORCES ARMEES" text, I found Arial was best (which surprised me). For the Federal Identity Program "Canada" mark, Baskerville Old Face (a standard Windows font) is good enough. 

Your source is the same i used for the CT-133 :)

BTW, the skins you made are great!

what else needs done on the Canuck?  if the model is solid, could release for further fix up (although then again that didnt work as well as hoped for the Super Tweet..)

The Super Tweet is not the CF-100, but more generally, it begs the question of why this kind of collaboration isn't more common on here. We're set up very well to do it. Mods like my WIP CF-111 don't need it, they're small and simple, but larger projects like a completely new aircraft, particularly one as well anticipated as the CF-100 would probably benefit from it. 

it's been months since we worked on the Clunk, (iirc, at least 3 variants, and a "what if"). Most, if not all, need more 3ds Max, in the cutting of various meshes as to make them all seperate (vert tail, tail, fues, inner and outer wing, nose, etc)

And angelp has been missing, as he was the modeler.