Sign in to follow this  
JimAttrill

What aircraft is this?

Looks rather Russian to me.   Strange exhaust layout as well.  And if that square thing on the side of the fuselage is the camera it only looks suitable for taking pictures of the top of the lower wing.... But maybe it is a radiator and the guy in the front cockpit is holding the camera. 

post-48335-0-40187400-1498380896.jpg

Edited by JimAttrill

Albatros B.II, possibly.

Here is a picture of an Albatros B.II in Russian service, which shows the funny exhaust pipes.

albatros-b2.jpg

Edited by Hauksbee
  • Like 1

Yup, it's an Albatros B II.   Never seen a picture of that one before.   What colours are used in the Russian Cockade?   Looks like Blue and white.

Edited by JimAttrill

Imperial Russian cockades on the Nieuport 17 in RoF, Tarnopol autumn map:

2017_6_28__20_21_34.jpg

And on Stephen1918's Anatra DS in First Eagles 2, Lemberg map, summer:

img00008.JPG

Here is a picture of an Albatros B.II in Russian service, which shows the funny exhaust pipes.

An Albatros in Russian service? Captured no doubt, or, perhaps a pre-war purchase?

Edited by Hauksbee

The Lebed 12 was supposed to have been based on captured German aircraft, and from Stephen1918's FE/FE2 version, I think we can see a clear resemblance to the Albatros B-type, despite the different motor:

img00006.JPG

img00009.JPG

There is a photo of a model which looks to be of the actual aircraft in the pic Olham posted, in the July 2017 Airfix Model World mag, in a note about an upcoming IPMS exhibition. I think the model is the same one illustrated on East Midlands Model Club's site, here: http://www.eastmidsmodelclub.co.uk/uploads/1/3/4/6/13468680/albatros-bii-rnas-1024x681-1024x681_orig.jpg

Only difference seems to be the lack of a roundel on the model's tail

The model's roundels have plain red outer rings - and the image info says it's an Albatros B.II, RNAS! So it was a captured aircraft, all right, but possibly not by the Russians!

EDIT - there's some info here on the Aerodrome - apparently it is believed to have been a pre-war purchase: http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/showthread.php?p=11723

Interesting, how much can still be found out!

Edited by Olham

Interesting, how much can still be found out!

How goes Age of Sail, Olham? 

Not Age of Sail - it is called NAVAL ACTION.

Tough, since the big WIPE. Everything is very hard; a lot of the fun is gone.

They try to get it more realistic, but never do the right things, it seems.

But hey, it's still an ALPHA...

Edited by Olham

Age of Sail (AoS2, anyway) was rather good, I thought. It would still be on my HD and played when I fancied a bit of Napoleonic naval action (sic) - if I didn't get ugly banding in the skies. The music score was so good I left it playing during gameplay, with the ship's bell sounding merrily at intervals. Anything MP only, I'm not interested in, however pretty.