Sign in to follow this  
Guest chuckpuah

EAW Windows 10

Guest chuckpuah

Hi everybody. I´m a big fan of European Air War game, i was wondering if you have a link to download it for Windows 10, and bring me back to the best WW2 combat simulator ever.

Is there anything you could do for me? Thanks to you all. 

David. Venezuela

Sure, V1.0 (The CD) or 1.1 or 1.2 (official patches) or the EAWPRO or v1.28+ (preferably v1.60) will all run on Win10, 32 bit or 64 bit, 'natively'

Read my  'First Use' and  'Install'  Help Documents for details at my EAW Help Site:  eaw.neocities.org

Edited by MarkEAW

There are two new issues as of this year with Win10 and EAW. (Actually these issues came April 2018 and perhaps a month or two before)
-The Frame rate is lower...(Lower than Win7)
-The screen transitioning to the flight screen and back is extremely slow; (for the screen to change while the game loads or unloads textures and models, etc...)
Its gone from a 2 sec screen switch up to 10 secs  or more. (The Win10 April 2018 update did this).

*Using the DXWND wrapper cures performance issues now that the Wrapper works correctly in Win10 (It didn't before with EAW correctly). FPS and Screen transitioning is fast again. Althought the plans apear to jitter slightly, like a little lag.

*You can use EAW in Win10 'nativly' if you wish. See my EAW Help Site for usage.

Edited by MarkEAW
updated text to new findings

Mark, I'm upgrading to a Win 10 computer with 2nd Gen I7 CPU, 16GB RAM, and a GEForce GT 1030 graphics card.  The Card is FAR from cutting edge, and the rest is not exactly pushing  cutting edge, either. Still, it's big step up from what I had in my old Win 7 system, which (surprisingly) ran EAW v1.28e, EAWPRO, and V1.60 all with graphics set near to max.

So just a head's up that I might be re-reading your Help Site, with a particular view to Win 10 compatibility.

Oh, and asking some questions, too, Lol! 

I seen this post.

In anticipation I reviewed some of my Troubleshoot Help Document. Rearrange a few things and corrected a little bit of text. Mind you most of the updates where based on info I carried in my head till now about Win10 troubleshoot. Primary since I have been EAW AWOL a month or more.

Ask or inform me of anything you noticed or need help with. Thanks!

On 3/11/2019 at 8:33 PM, RIBob said:

Mark, I'm upgrading to a Win 10 computer with 2nd Gen I7 CPU, 16GB RAM, and a GEForce GT 1030 graphics card.  The Card is FAR from cutting edge, and the rest is not exactly pushing  cutting edge, either. Still, it's big step up from what I had in my old Win 7 system, which (surprisingly) ran EAW v1.28e, EAWPRO, and V1.60 all with graphics set near to max.

So just a head's up that I might be re-reading your Help Site, with a particular view to Win 10 compatibility.

Oh, and asking some questions, too, Lol! 

If you're moving to Windows 10 with an nVidia graphics card, you won't be able to get Horizon Fog in D3D. In order to get it, you will need to run the game in Glide, which rules out proper widescreen.

You loose the Horizon Fog Graphic when used with NVIDIA Video Cards on WInXP and above. (actually you can loose the fog on earlier systems with more modern vid cards).

The Glide Mode will restore The HFG. When used with nGlide wrapper or any other. The new exes made by independent CodeGroup use v3.0 Glide. Standard EAW use Glide 2.43 I think. So make sure the wrappers supports the Glide version the eaw.exe uses.

Widescreen (BIG Stretched Screen or even Big 4:3 ratio) in Glide is possible, but most of the time it just won't except the values you enter. Direct3D Mode easily supports higher resolution.

Edited by MarkEAW

1 hour ago, Sky High said:

If you're moving to Windows 10 with an nVidia graphics card, you won't be able to get Horizon Fog in D3D. In order to get it, you will need to run the game in Glide, which rules out proper widescreen.

Well, I'm keeping Win 7 computer for at least a while, until I fully understand Win Virtual Machine.  I have Win 98 and Win XP Pro OpSys available for VM, and others, as I require them.

Win 10 computer is necessary to deal with the present, and the future.

Frankly, with all the bitter, pointless,  infighting present for a long time in the EAW "community", I'm discouraged from participating in EAW discussions.  I've already been unfairly temp banned from another site, and am reluctant to get involved with similar discussions on this site.

Pity, as EAW is a great sim, except for many of the people who have made it great.   Life is too damn short for that sort of BS.

@RIBob , Sorry about the other thread where it goes more off topic by my posts as well as others. :\

I wouldn't worried about getting banned, say what you gotta say, no offence but perhaps you have something important to say? It could be about me or any other EAW members.
I'm not afraid to read and respond. :)

Anyhow don't let us ares ruin your enjoyment of EAW, what ever version or mod you use.

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 10:15 PM, MarkEAW said:

@RIBob , Sorry about the other thread where it goes more off topic by my posts as well as others. :\

I wouldn't worried about getting banned, say what you gotta say, no offence but perhaps you have something important to say? It could be about me or any other EAW members.
I'm not afraid to read and respond. :)

Anyhow don't let us ares ruin your enjoyment of EAW, what ever version or mod you use.

No problem with anything that I've ever seen you post, Mark.  You and I think alike, mostly, and what we disagree on isn't worth mentioning.  Win 10 Comp is ready to go, but I discovered I need a unique cable to access the drive with all my backup programs.  Win 7 comp off-line (for now), so I'm waiting on the damned cable. I should have ordered it ling ago, but it got overlooked.

Well if you have a problem, don't hesitate to inform me. I'll try to be gentle as you helped me out and others a lot with your feedback of some of my Help Documents and overall site re-organization.
That's worth something in my book.

Hope you get the cable you need soon!