Sign in to follow this  
Grinseed

The call of the wild blue yonder...

Its been four or five years at least since I fired up FE. I had the good sense to save everything to disks I recently uncovered in sealed boxes and which I have been slowly sorting  through the past couple of weeks and reading bits and pieces here and at Skunkworks and trying to recall how the whole game fits together. I realise I have forgotten more than I knew when I have to ask myself "how the hell did I convert Ojcar's campaign for FE1?"...I simply did not remember...but its coming back, bit by bit. I am actually chuffed that people are still using them.

The first thing I did was get out Stehphen1918's DH5  for a fly, what a treat. Then lead a squadron of AEGs to bomb an airfield, superb.

So, I  have some questions, quite a lot actually. I have answered many myself reviewing stuff.

I am staring wistfully at Jan Tuma's Seasonal files...I recall having that on FE1 at least, but cant recall if I had it on FE2.  So far I have failed to get it to work in FE2. I have Panama Red's Realistic Weather mod running ok.  So my first question is, does Jan's seasonal files work with FE2 on Windows 10? 

One question will do for now...so much more to explore..its sort of like finding FE for the first time again and like all things its actually fun to rediscover for yourself.

• Like 2

Welcome back to FE/FE2, one of the best WWI sims around...from what I'm aware, the Tuma files should work fine in FE2 as well. I think that several FE2 flyers have been able to install it - the other terrains too, especially the Vosges and Italian maps by Gterl, are also worth checking out, as are the Eastern front and Middle eastern terrains by Stephen.

One peculiarity I've noticed with the Tuma terrains is that, while I'm able to download them, the compressed archive can't open and is listed as corrupt (perhaps this is only unique to my Mac) - but definitely give it a shot, should work fine in all versions of First Eagles.

Von S :flyer:

When I load up Jan's seasonal tiles a most curious and annoying thing happens.

All the bmp files in his Flanders folder turn to tod files and this prevents any of his folders operating and the game freezes in the setup page.

I have loaded the Italian Front (and it looks magnificent) which has Jan's tiles and they are fine.

The seasonal tiles folder is fine, the bmps remain bmps.

Its only the bmp files in Jan's Flanders folder that change to tod files. AND that's when I used either newly downloaded copies of Jan's Seasonal folder from CA or the ones I copied 6 years ago onto CD, so it might be something in his file that triggers a function in my computer, but just what I don't know. 

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Edited by Grinseed

6 hours ago, Grinseed said:

Its only the bmp files in Jan's Flanders folder that change to tod files. AND that's when I used either newly downloaded copies of Jan's Seasonal folder from CA or the ones I copied 6 years ago onto CD, so it might be something in his file that triggers a function in my computer, but just what I don't know.

While I have never tried to load Jan's seasonal tiles, I did DL them some time ago.  Just took a quick look at the folders and found ALL the DL-ed seasonal files are .tod files!  Dunno if this helps or not, but it suggests the problem is not your computer.

Well thanks for that info Geezer. Good to know my computer is in the clear. As much as I'd like to run Jan's program its no big problem because  FE is greater than just changing seasons. 

Got to say Gterl's Italian Front is fantastic.

Cheers and happy landings.

Check out the NEW AIRCRAFT thread for VonS' atmospheric upgrades and some of my WIP aircraft.