Erik

Spring is time for backups

Spring cleaning and backups go hand in hand during this time of year. While you're out doing the honey-do list or figuring out where you put the vacuum after you used it last year, your machine could be making backups of all your important documents and files. Disaster recovery is real and a backup may save your sanity. Happy duplicating.

bakcup.jpg

• Thanks 3

Should one get an external hardrive or a thumb drive?

I got a backup of all my SF2 campaign and other mod work on Google Drive.   Just-in-case... oh so close, two weeks til the big release baby!

Storage is cheap these days. What you buy depends on the form factor you want, disk or thumb drive. You can get name brand thumb drives for $100 US per 512GB and flash drives are a little cheaper with a bigger form factor. Remember backups aren't fail proof, you need a disaster recovery plan. If you back everything up on flash drives then your house burns down your plan fails. If however those same flash drives were in a bank safety deposit box you'd have a more robust disaster plan. Tweek you disaster plan to your comfort level of loss. IOW if you're backing up crap and the house burns down who cares, but if you're backing up bank, tax, medical records, etc you might want to think your disaster plan through.

3 hours ago, Erik said:

If however those same flash drives were in a bank safety deposit box you'd have a more robust disaster plan.

I never thought about this. It makes sense. A plug and play external drive in a safety deposit box sounds nice.

I have one of those small portable SSD's that I use with the free AOMEI Backupper to make backups of my drives. It has saved me more than one once when I accidentally deleted something or when my HDD died on me three years ago.