Open Club  ·  12 members

Sign in to follow this  
VonBeerhofen

How many hitbubble tables will fit in 10.000 freed bytes?

does anyone know? I can make an educated guess but ofcourse I wouldn't use all of it, I'd keep some room for a fair ammount of extra terrain tiles and possibly a new tileystem. Did you know you can actually loop the hitbubble table so you wouldn't need any of those 10.000 bytes, the only downside would be that every loop you'd have to use the same hitbubble value for a different object, but with the number of available I think that's hardly a limitation, unless you're building a complete city with only a few 100 large buildings, there wouldn't be a possibillity anymore for smaller objects. Not that I'm going to create something like that, already have my hands full to create 4 housing blocks for Operation Husky and I'm barely 1/2 way.

Perhaps it will set some people thinking about what programming is all about. I just have too much imagination and sometimes it runs away with me, not that I mind, actually I think it's quite cool. I think I just made it clear that in programming it all comes to using your imagination when it comes to solving problems. Ofcourse I won't ever solve all problems as another important thing is the time available and the priorities you've set yourself, first things first right? Anyway, there's always a workaround to any problem but sometimes you make the wrong choice, which is quite annoying as it usually means one or more steps back.

It gets worse if you make mistakes, once a mistake slips through the net it becomes a very hard task to backtrack your changes and find where you went wrong. This is where imagination becomes even more important, as you have to design some sort of way to debug your own work as the compiler or debugger itself failed to notice a mistake. You can always go back to an older version but that will come at the cost of your latest changes of which one change may have an error. You then have to check your notes, that is if you kept any seperate from your code and hope your latest changes are in there, which may help you find the problem.

Ofcourse the bookkeeping for all of that is staggering and before you know it you have a few hundred MB of notes, and they're not the ones you've kept inside the sourcecode but extra, jut incase. If you can see the picture then multiply that with 15 years and you'll get an idea of what it means to program about 1/10th of EAW single handedly.

It's great fun, I guarantee it, but I'm not sure if I can stay away from the asylum forever, they're looking for me you know. Just don't let them know I'm here.

Phweet, phweet <==== innocent whistling sound

John Doe

Edited by VonBeerhofen

I sure do appreciate your efforts, and I'm sure I speak for many others.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..