JosefK

Maybe someone might want to do a RAAF B-1B?

From TheDrive.com

Acquire surplus B-1B Lancers from the United States. This will probably be the crowd-pleaser of this post, and it sounds a bit odd, but it actually makes a ton of sense. There is a decent chance that the B-1B fleet could be sunsetted early. In fact, it could get the budgetary axe next year. If the USAF elects to wind down B-1B operations, the RAAF should attempt to acquire the cream of the fleet and the U.S. should offer it to them at the cost of nothing. You don't need a B-21 to chuck standoff missiles far from home. The B-1B is extremely capable of this mission and others. They are not cheap to operate, but if they can be had for the cost of nothing, the operational cost could be seen as a bargain. In addition, if the U.S. retires its fleet, keeping say a dozen to 18 of them in top operational condition should be far easier than it is now. Parts would not be an issue and only the best airframes would be acquired. Paired with the RAAF's tanker support and electronic warfare and intelligence gathering capabilities, the bone would be a near-ideal tool for waging long-range warfare in Australia's neck of the woods. They can also be upgraded to carry future hypersonic weapons and even defend themselves from aerial attack. Another big plus is that its nuclear capability has been eliminated. Concerns with dual-use capabilities, however dubious, won't be a factor. In the end, offloading some of the type to Australia could also help increase bomber presence where it is needed most without having the Pentagon pay for it or risking highly sensitive assets. It is a win-win. 

I couldn't agree more... sure seems like a fun What-If project for one of you guys.  Especially if the B-1C - and it would have to be a C because the F-111C was Aussie - had AMRAAM and anti-radiation missile capability... 

JOSEFK 

• Like 1

i'm aiming to do a pack on early Bones next year (after i wrap up the SAC Varks). main focus is SAC era and the ANG squadrons in the 90s. but if our supposed KoalaBone is same color as the current fleet, wouldnt be a problem to upgrade 81 Wing as well.

another possiblilty that was discussed (and even less likely to happen than going to RAAF) is giving them to the Navy and reviving the VPB squadrons, which is one i'd thought had on this as well

https://othjournal.com/2019/04/15/a-bomber-for-the-navy/

back on topic, give me some ideas on what you'd want to see, then give me two weeks (a modders two weeks:lol:)

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, daddyairplanes said:

i'm aiming to do a pack on early Bones next year (after i wrap up the SAC Varks). main focus is SAC era and the ANG squadrons in the 90s. but if our supposed KoalaBone is same color as the current fleet, wouldnt be a problem to upgrade 81 Wing as well.

another possiblilty that was discussed (and even less likely to happen than going to RAAF) is giving them to the Navy and reviving the VPB squadrons, which is one i'd thought had on this as well

https://othjournal.com/2019/04/15/a-bomber-for-the-navy/

back on topic, give me some ideas on what you'd want to see, then give me two weeks (a modders two weeks:lol:)

I like the idea of a What-If B-1B Pack of...

• RAAF B-1C with some air-to-air capability, not necessarily B-1R but maybe the ability.
  • USN with the loadouts here plus optionally AIM-120s & HARMs because frankly a squadron or two of renovated PB-1s make more sense than another wad of destroyers...

gonna disagree with any air to air capability on grounds of cost (yeah i know its a game and ini edits are free)

the cost to upgrade for a2a for any future user would make it more than its worth, esp with the maintenance costs to keep them airworthy. HARMs is kinda pushin it i think and crews could use NOE tactics and jammers like past and current Bone crews

both proposals center around AGM-158C LRASM which at the moment is only cleared on the F/A-18E and B-1B. one of which is used by both proposed users, the other proposed for those users.

5 hours ago, daddyairplanes said:

gonna disagree with any air to air capability on grounds of cost (yeah i know its a game and ini edits are free)

the cost to upgrade for a2a for any future user would make it more than its worth, esp with the maintenance costs to keep them airworthy. HARMs is kinda pushin it i think and crews could use NOE tactics and jammers like past and current Bone crews

both proposals center around AGM-158C LRASM which at the moment is only cleared on the F/A-18E and B-1B. one of which is used by both proposed users, the other proposed for those users.

Sorry but I like the idea of packing some AIM-120s in a rotary bay, especially considering the B-1B radar has had a massive upgrade which, "Can be modified with a Multitarget Track (MTT) software mode for Advanced Medium Range Air-to-Air Missile (AMRAAM) deployment."  I think it isn't that hard to swing the B-1B around, fling a few AIM-120s and run away under the umbrella of friendly air defenses gracefully.

We agree on the LRASM 100% :-).

2 hours ago, daddyairplanes said:

RAAFBONE01.jpg&key=abac6b620f707fa0da6b0

specifically this one i think.:drinks:

Found the pictures, but not the file.

But hmmm... I might have some spare time the last two weeks of December so after Nihon Hitori 2020 is polished off... maybe some Lancer 2025 quick strike game is a good idea?

• Like 1

get back to you around then, FB-111 should be done and released by then and nukes seems to be a slow burner project. my SAC project involves cleaning up the Euro1 paint job and positioning decals, so not too far off to adjust a decal.ini for the Ozzies.

can do the same for the grey scheme that followed as i want to do the ANG Bones too (just not the GWOT active wings)

would Aussie humor have them now called Bone B.1?

• Thanks 1