Gents, I had a strike idea that may change ALL the way we think on missions.

Possible achivements:

- Dynamic frontlines

- In Single Missions, the correct terrain will appear by only selecting the desire frametime.

The STILL NOT TESTED idea is quite simple. Remember that inside every Terrain.INI you can add the seasons with its own date? Just add another terrain INSIDE the main one, add its name on .INI in the same way as for a "Winter" for example and ALL the new terrain should appear at the same date you choose. 

For a dynamic frontline, just create a new subfolder inside Terrain with new frontline data and so on. 

Am I clear? Hope so. As I said, it's only specculations. Hope that somebody give a try!

Well, Wilches, I don't want to kill your excitement, but I highly doubt this will work. Seasons were programmed so that from season folders different textures are loaded. This shouldn't contemplate terrain configuration files, because those folders are always a child of the main one. Even if the game reads such files, you'd end up with two different terrains in any case, I think. I'm not even sure you can specify a year to the season date statements, because I don't see why TK should have taken years into account for this season function.

Later I'll give it a try, but I don't have such high hopes.

Edited by Menrva

Time will tell and I'll be very happy if you test it. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Wilches said:

Time will tell and I'll be very happy if you test it. Thanks!

I just did, and for the reasons I explained above, it doesn't work. The season function enables to read different textures from a sub-folder, but not alternative terrain configuration files. No major breakthrough, sorry.

Edited by Menrva

That's ok... Life goes on. Thanks so much for that! Case closed!

Now that I think about it, I had your idea back when I was creating the Iraq terrains; I really wanted not to make two/three separate versions. I'm pretty sure some modders before me had already tried this years ago.

Shit, I've been around so long I remember when we didn't even have season!! Example, the America NorthWest terrain -- we have 4 different full terrains, one for each season, each with they're own (renamed desert) cat file as we hadn't figured out the pathway statement yet.

Yes, I'm old   :wheelchair:

• Like 4
  • Haha 4