Sign in to follow this  
Rick Rawlings

BHAHII Missions and Campaigns

Rick Rawlings

No. 24 Sqn,

August 1916

Bertangles Aerodrome

We were taking off for a line patrol a few days back when I realized that after our breakfast sausages, I really needed to attend to some operations in the latrine, so I told the fellows I would catch up to them at the lines...

When I got there, they had already ran into some of the new Halberstadt scouts, so I jumped right in! I tried to stay on top of the fight, as that was what the Major recommends: "Altitude is easy to lose and hard to gain, so don't give it up without good reason!" he says. However, he and Garfield were having an easy go with the upper Hun, so I dove down on the one attacking Ashford. Unfortunately, I was too late and saw him wrecked in No Man's Land! Furious, I used the speed of my dive and closed on Ashford's killer, giving him a good burst and sending him down! As I worked my way back up (man, altitude is hard to gain!) I had to flee myself from what appeared to be three Rolands, the wound in my leg from a couple weeks back aching at the mere sight of them!

I went further south along the patrol route and came upon some Eindeckers attacking the remnant of our flight. One came after me but I was able to get around on him and give him a good crack, which must have snapped a control wire as the poor fellow went down four thousand feet in a nasty spin to his death! 

Being well-observed, both claims were confirmed, making me a baker's ace! And I was awarded the D.S.O. as well!

Rick Rawlings

No. 24 Sqn,

November 1916

Bertangles Aerodrome

My promotion to full Lieutenant came through the other day, close on the heels of my tenth air victory. More importantly, the promotion came with two weeks of leave. Lately, it has all been Halberstadts and Albatroses, which means that every fight is a near thing, no matter what our initial advantage may be, and my nerves are shot. There are few of the men left from when I joined, having lost Garfield on the attack on Bertincourt

and Rogers was killed while I was recuperating from when an Albatros scout rammed my plane...

Fortunately, the last flight we took on was of Fokker biplanes, which are not as dangerous and I was able to bring one down.

The Major, if course, is still a source of inspiration for us, but I wonder if even he is getting discouraged? It is a sobering thought to remember that with these new German scouts, however many rounds you send after them, twice as many will come back you way...

• Like 2

Sub Lt. Rother Nought

No. 4 RNAS

27 miles behind the front

Coudekerque, July 1916

Well, I'm in for it now. I thought joining the air services would be a good way to avoid the war for a long while. Who knew they could train pilots so fast now? The last few days I have been up in a Sopwith Strutter ferrying 2nd Lt. Norton from one bomb-hole to another to photograph each one in turn. Of course, I would be all for firing off all the plates at once and getting out of there and back for a brandy like some anticipatory Yossarian, but Norton insisted on being at the right spot at the right time at the right altitude for every photo, regardless of how familiar Archibald was trying to become with all the sensitive spots of our bus. To make matters worse, every now and again he would jerk the Lewis gun around and stare intently at a spot in the sky as if to intimate that a hun was about to attack before glancing over with that inscrutable look of his, the berk...

I can't wait for tomorrow...

• Like 1

Good stuff Rick... yes, watching the video I thought you would get bumped any minute, judging by the gunner's reactions...