Sign in to follow this  
Rick Rawlings

BHAHII Missions and Campaigns

Got a fun mission or campaign going? Tell us about it here! Pics/Vids are great, but plain old reports are too!

I have a bunch of standard pilots that I run and have been since way back in Red Baron 1 when I was in college. Rother Nought is my standard RNAS guy who takes the Sopwith path through the war (or as far as he gets!) My first attempt with him ended in a shredded N11 wing, so here is try #2!

Rother Nought

C Sqn 1 Wing RNAS

B flight

Today we went up in support of the Strutters, which is absurd as they are much faster than us and always leave us behind. Anyway, Cleaver and I made our way to the front and tried to clear the area where the Sopwiths would be artillery spotting. I spied a brace of Eindeckers below us trying to come up to our level and moved to stay above them so  we could strike if they got too close. This seemed a good idea until I noticed three more of the blighters to the south, at our level! Matters were made worse when the Sopwith decided to attack them instead of retreating! We immediately moved to intervene:

I got credit for one of them with the pilot apparently killed, but the one I drove down with a dead engine the boys on the ground insisted on getting credit for, even though he was a glider long before he got down to where they can hit anything!

Unfortunately, we lost Cleaver in the melee and one of the strutters was forced down with the observer,  a kid named Thompson, killed. We need faster planes! Or the strutters need to stick to the plan!

• Like 3

Thought this was going to be one of the shortest careers ever!

Rother Nought

C Sqn 1 Wing RNAS

B flight

July 07, 1916

Sent up alone (!!!) to guide the two strutters, who immediately left me behind. I spotted a flight of four unknows out over the lines so I swung back around to observe them from relative safety. That was when four huns that had been patrolling up north on our side of the lines decided to dive down and attack me:

As I was headed home after the fight with no ammo left, you can see the two strutters come over at the end there; "Oh sorry, did you need any help?"

:stars:

• Like 1

No way! :smile: You survived against four Halbies in that old crate! Blimey ....

I like this idea. Kinda like the Challenge(s) without the stress or winners prize. :biggrin:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, catch said:

No way! :smile: You survived against four Halbies in that old crate! Blimey ....

I like this idea. Kinda like the Challenge(s) without the stress or winners prize. :biggrin:

1. Yes, but only because two of them has the courtesy to collide with each other!

2. Yes! There is a thread like this on the other board, I thought it would be nice to start one here, so please like and support this thread! :lol:

I like to fly and fight in the areas where the skins I'm working on are active.  Right now I'm with the 94th Aero in May 1918, flying against Jasta2 64w, 65 and Kest 1, which I am working on now.  I took down an old DV still in use by Kest 1 this morning.  Shot his wings off.

Doing this serves an additional purpose in that I get to see whether the Sim is using the skins when you are not flying in the outfit you made them for.  In this case I got to see that the Sim was using mixed aircraft for Kest 1, the DV and DVa together in the same flight.

Kest 1 down.jpg

• Like 3

Nice, jerhear! I actually just started my first American career in a couple of actual years! Unfortunately, the video is going to go in a different thread as you will see when I get a chance to post it...

• Thanks 1

Great stuff Gents :good:

Well...this thread took off!

Back in the game now that the rudder pedals are fixed:

20210626_173752.thumb.jpg.f45f739549147aebf23ea39939b3bded.jpg

So back into it with a little Karl Spieler:

Being alone and low over the lines, I decided not to give pursuit. If you watch at high resolution in the 4:00-4:00 area, you can see the puffs of exhaust as he blips on the way down, very cool!

• Like 1

Nice fix on the pedals.  That aughta hold er.

Took down another one of mine.  This is/was the new wingman skin for Jasta 64w.  There wasn't one in the Skin Pack for this Staffel.

J64w.jpg

• Like 1

Saw the 'blipping' effect, it's little details like that, that keep cropping up that makes me realise what a little gem we have with this hobby of ours. :imhappy:

My experience is that just about every contemporary to the Halberstadt DII can run away from it. Also, I found that with the Halberstadt DII it is difficult to line up a shot and keep your bearings.

Anyway, here is a video from my Jasta 10 June 1918 Fokker DVII campaign. The quality is not up to forum standards, but what the hey, it is my first public video.

Background: Taking advice from this forum, I have used mods to tone down rear gunner accuracy. Still needed to put in a mod which shows tracers.

P.S. - I have yet to jam my guns, which I kind of miss . . .

Edited by CastelEtzwane
  • Like 1

jerhear: very nice! I started an American career and made it about 3 missions before a two-seater murdered me in about 4 seconds...

CastelEtzwane: That was a great video, very exciting! Not so great for that SPAD, though!

*edit, jamming guns is still a thing, though!

Edited by Rick Rawlings

Another mission from my current Fokker DVII campaign.  

In which our hero Randers and his schwarm encounter some French 2-seaters. He shoots one down, then turns to deal with the SPAD XIII which has been attacking him. However, he soon realizes that his radiator is holed and that another SPAD has joined the fight. He then disengages by diving through a handy layer of cloud.

Nice work, CastelEtzwane! Especially finishing off your man with those tracers going right by your head! Other than a couple of quick missions, I haven't really flown the DVII, looks like fun!

Another mission from my current Fokker DVII campaign.  

In which our hero Randers and his schwarm encounter some French 2-seaters. He shoots one down, then turns to deal with the SPAD XIII which has been attacking him. However, he soon realizes that his radiator is holed and that another SPAD has joined the fight. He then disengages by diving through a handy layer of cloud.

• Thanks 1

Note: sorry, found out how to make a 'cleaner' video and so replaced the #2 Campaign video. Didn't realize I couldn't delete the old post with it. So made a new post.

WOFF BH&H Fokker DVII Campaign: Feldwebel Randers #6

In which Fw Randers has chased after the French SPAD XIIIs which challenged his aerodrome as his flight prepared for the morning's dawn patrol. (The SPADS gave battle over the airfield but the results were inconclusive. ) Randers is slowly gaining on a SPAD 800+ yds in front of him when he glances back and spots an aircraft about to overtake him. What follows next is the subject of this video.

6 hours ago, TROOPER117 said:

Good stuff!

:biggrin:

3 hours ago, jerhear said:

Love them clouds.

:good:

2 hours ago, Rick Rawlings said:

Nice work, CastelEtzwane! Especially finishing off your man with those tracers going right by your head! Other than a couple of quick missions, I haven't really flown the DVII, looks like fun!

Well if you do fly a DVII campaign, be sure to go easy on the quick maneuvers at high speed. You'll lose a wing before you know what's happened !!

4 hours ago, CastelEtzwane said:

Well if you do fly a DVII campaign, be sure to go easy on the quick maneuvers at high speed. You'll lose a wing before you know what's happened !!

Yikes! I thought the DVII was supposed to be tough! Good job on the latest 2-fer, btw!

WOFF BH&H Fokker DVII Campaign: Feldwebel Randers #7

In which Fw Randers jousts with French two-seaters and their gallant pilots.

Nicely done! Was that observer still shooting at you as his plane spiralled down with no wing? What a beast!

Here we are back to Rother Nought, RNAS No. 3, August 1916:

After having been given one of the N11s replace his old 10, Rother makes ace against a pack of Einies! 

Oddly enough, Amazon delivered a nice shiny package of Sopwith Pups to the front door of the squadron the other day, but no one seems interested in using them yet...some assembly required, I suppose!

• Like 1

Then congratulations are in store for Leftenant Nought !!

He should try to live it up while he can, cuz the latest rumour is that the Huns are replacing their old Eindeckers with a speedy new scout called the Albatross . . .

Lies and blatant propaganda. Unsubstantiated rumours perpetrated by Mata Hari to put the wind up .... nothing can beat the noop and spinning incinerator! You have my word as a gentleman.