Sign in to follow this  
Becker02

AI-Landing on airfield Le Clos Ferme/Boncourt, Marne with crashes

Hi all,

BH&H2, Version 1.13, no mods.

I have transferred my PE-campaign to BH&H2: Jasta 15, Juni 2017, Alb DIIIEarly, airfield Le Clos Ferme/Boncourt in Marne. I did realize that the AI-Pilot landed with crashes every second / third mission. It happened with my own aeroplane and also with the squadron-aeroplanes. Sometimes it is a collision, sometimes a full crash with the typical brown spot. And additionally, when I click on „details“ after the mission, all is okay, all pilots all machines! To be sure, I looked into the settings, but all was okay: „Outcomes – normal“, „Invincible – off“.

To analyze this AI-landing-problem I started at first a complete new test-campaign with an other year, other Jasta, other aeroplane, other airfiled and the AI-pilot worked withouit mistakes during landing. „Okay,“ I thought, „the system / installation is okay, it seems.“

Now I started the second new test-campaign , but exactly with the base-data from my transfered PE-campaign  with the landing-problems (see above); Jasta 15, Juni 2017, Alb DIIIEarly, airfield Le Clos Ferme/Boncourt, Marne. And … 3 full landing-crashes with AI-pilot on the second mission! My aeroplane was only a brown spot and also two other aeroplanes. I could not get into my virtual cockpit (so I’m dead normally) but after the mission „details“ have shown, that all machines, all pilots were okay. So it was my conclusion, that my transferred PE-campaign ist not the problem. Maybe the airfield?

So I started the third test-campaign: same time (Juni 2017), Alb DIIIEarly and DII, but an other airfiled (Vivaise, Marne ) via Jasta 1. That is full action. More than 10 birds started and landed and the AI-pilot … worked perfectly! No collisions, no crashes during landing.

So my result is, that maybe the airfield Le Clos Ferme/Boncourt, Marne is the source for this problem. Is it possible?

Thanks for answer and Greetings!

Edited by Becker04

I have this same occurrence in multiple careers, time periods and nationalities too. :-(

Not good for squadron morale.

Peace!

I killed off my RFC person and started a campaign as a French pilot. Lovely Caudron G4, but for my first mission I decided to let the Auto pilot land it and observe speeds etc. Toul was my airfield. Same thing all 3 planes of my flight straight into the ground! Bit annoying after an hour or more of flight but c'est la vie or c'est la mort or maybe even c'est CFS3.

I'm assuming that a fresh (future) patch from OBD will iron out further oddities in BH&H2 gents - but, in the meantime, for those who like to tinker - look over the following two entries under the "Airfield" section of the simulation.xml file (that is located in the main "WOFF" folder of your BH2 install):

min_descentAngle_deg="4.5"
max_descentAngle_deg="6"

Perhaps tweak those two, default values to smaller numbers, to facilitate smoother landings at less steep angles (I recommend something like 2.5 for "min_descentAngle" and maybe 5 or so for "max_descentAngle" - worth a try - do however make a backup of your stock simulation.xml file before trying out such tweaks, or even better, make your tweaked simulation.xml file JSGME-ready and load it that way).

Those still running the UE/PE editions of WOFF are recommended to check over some JSGME-friendly, modified simulation.xml files available here (as always, read directions in the download post, as well as in the included "Read Me" file, for more thorough info.).

Happy WOFFing,

Von S :smile:

Edited by VonS
Edited post.
  • Thanks 1

Autopilot does some pretty funky things sometimes. I only use it at a decent height where you can recover if it gets funky. But gosh, never when landing! Good Lord no! I may be crazy but I'm not mad.

Thanks for answers so far! After my test-campaigns (see first post) the interesting thing is, that the AI-Landing-Problem seems to have a relation to the airfield. Only Le Clos Ferme/Boncourt I have seen it. The AI-Landing on the airfields of the other test-campaigns were okay. 

Hallo @catch,

to avoid misunderstandings: we talk about problems with the AI-Landing for ALL machines of your flight, not only the pilot-AI (and only the AI lands the other machines). And I never have seen landing-crashes from the AI with UE and PE before.

Greetings!

Understood Becker. :smile: 

Thanks we'll look into - but saying that you will still get some crashes from time to time, damaged aircraft, high winds and so on.   As in real life many accidents in landing and take off are in there.

Edited by Polovski

I just ran it here several times no problems at all.  Could be the reasons I mentioned above.

J15 June 1917 Le Clos Ferme/Boncourt .

Have mods ever been installed?

Hallo @Pol,

during the test no mods. In the past ... difficult to say, because I have tested some mods. Maybe only a new installation is the right way. I must think about it. 

Thanks for your answer and Greetings!

Hallo,

short info: I have made a new installation and again the test-campaign as the double from my transferred PE-campaign (see above: Jasta 15, Juni 1917, airfield Le Clos Ferme/Boncourt in Marne, ranking Rittmeister). And  ... all is okay! I don't know the cause for the AI-crashes, but I can't imagine that the few mods, I have tested  before, were involved. Because I could recognice the problem only on this airfield I suspect more my transferred PE-campaign. But I only suppose it, I have no proof.

Greetings and have a nice weekend!

4 hours ago, Becker04 said:

I suspect more my transferred PE-campaign. 

Yes, I think this would be the likely suspect. Glad you got it sorted Becksy. :smile: