Sign in to follow this  
epower

24 Sqn RAF aircraft should all be Vipers in 1918

Flying 24 Sqn in the DID.  Current date is July 1918. 

Problem:  Historical Aces who should be flying Vipers are stuck in SE5a.  This is playing merry hell with formation flying at higher altitudes as the Hispano-engined craft struggle to keep up with the higher compression Wolseley Vipers.  (see roster below)

I checked the 24 squadron enlistment screens from March 1918 thru end of war, and the lowest rank pilot in 24 consistently fly an SE5a.  This is historically inaccurate as 24 Sqn exchanged all their Hispano SE5as for Vipers between March 12 - 16, 1918.  (Record from official documents in spreadsheet below)

I quote the personal diary of 24 Sqn CO, Major Vyvyan Robeson from Capt. A.E. Illingworth's 'History of 24 Squadron,' page 32:

"16th Mar., 1918. -- Exit the last of our 4-blader 200hp S.E. 5's, in exchange for the 180 h.p. non-geared 'Viper' S.E. 5's.  We are very pleased with the new machines and are in luck being the first squadron to get them."

Solution:  Change 24 Sqn allotment to Vipers for all ranks from March 18, 1918 onwards.   I do hope that's an easy fix.

Thanks very much,

24 Roster July 1918.jpg

SE5a exchanged.jpg

Thanks, Not sure if Shredward has seen it yet but maybe he will have some input on that one.

There are new features to granularly assign aircraft to Aces in BH&H II too,  so a squadron can have a very specific Ace aircraft assignment, may be the way to go..

Edited by Polovski