macelena

Nerdy info about radar

So I'm converting from cannon fodder into electronics technician, and while on a class on Radar, I asked my instructor (equivalent to CWO or SgtMaj) about how could you emit and recieve CW with the same antenna in fighters while painting a target, while discussing the topic of waveguides. Apparently, he didn't feel like telling me to shove anything up into my intestines, so he told me to look after it, which I had already been trying to, but to no avail. Have you got any info or link to learn about this? Not just so i don't look like an idiot with my boss, but I'm really curious about it, and didn't really understand it fully from what i got googling it. 

Edit: Forgot to mention, I was thinking about how the AWG-10 did it on Phantoms. I read it used an illuminator, but i don't know if it used the same antenna and how

Edited by macelena

You may find the info on the Talos missile over at https://www.okieboat.com/ interesting. There is some talk of continuous wave seekers. Here are the pages on the fire control system. 

Talos Mk 77 Guided Missile Fire Control System
SPG-49 Tracking Radar
SPW-2 Guidance Radar Description
History of the Talos Missile Guidance and Homing Systems

Also here is an old book on naval radars by Freedman.
Naval_Radar.pdf

Edited by KJakker
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, KJakker said:

You may find the info on the Talos missile over at https://www.okieboat.com/ interesting. There is some talk of continuous wave seekers. Here are the pages on the fire control system. 

Talos Mk 77 Guided Missile Fire Control System
SPG-49 Tracking Radar
SPW-2 Guidance Radar Description
History of the Talos Missile Guidance and Homing Systems

Also here is an old book on naval radars by Freedman.
Naval_Radar.pdf

Looking great, thanks a lot!!!

Edited by macelena