Sign in to follow this  
FalconC45

DCS Questions

Hey guys,

I am thinking of trying DCS for few years now and I have few questions about it. Many of you guys at CombatAce know I'm disabled and my questions will be around that.

1. How detailed are the preferences/options in DCS?

2. Can I make DCS like Strike Fighters in gameplay but more realistic in some ways? (like keep the radars like in SF. Example have the radar cursor in DCS act like the radar cursor in SF?)

3. How is the offline AI in DCS. Does the DCS AI cheat? I heard that they put blindspots in the AI's aircraft so players can use real bounce tactics against them.

4. Speed in combat. In IL2 and its WW1 addon I have to slow down the sims speed to order to do combat because in normal lapse time, its like playing in fast forward. I hope its not like that in DCS.

I may have more questions in few days and I hope you guys understand my questions/concerns.

Thanks in advance.

Falcon

I have a real love/hate relationship with DCS. My absolute biggest issue with the product is the DRM. I am old fashioned. I don't like any GAMING software that requires an internet connection to function. 

You cannot beat DCS aircraft for visual and flight model accuracy. That being said, you will be paying for it. They do have some very good sales throughout the year so that helps with the overall cost of running the sim. There are some freeware mods out there but I have noticed that DCS will lock down some of the flight model functions to limit the accuracy of the FMs for those freeware mods. 

DCS looks great but it is a pig in terms of resources. You need a beefy rig to run it at even medium-high settings. YMMV.

Lots and lots of preferences. 

I don't do DCS multiplayer so I can't really speak to that.

SF2 is tons easier to mod. SF2 has a lot more freeware addons. 

I am sure there are other folks who can chime in with some opinions.

I will say my personal go-to sim is SF2. 

• Like 1

At this point, I have as much flight time in DCS as SFP1/SF2.

Some of the aircraft can be configured/flown very much the same as SF2 aircraft.

Flaming Cliffs aircraft have common systems mapping just like SF2, so you can setup your hotas to accommodate the US controls and/or the USSR controls and pretty much share the same control maps between all of these aircraft.

Older aircraft like the F-5 and F-86 have similar controls to SF2. There is more detail in the operation, but overall, you can fly with just HOTAS buttons mapped.

One aspect of DCS that is the hardest is the startup procedures. Some aircraft are similar and/or easy, but many have long, complicated procedures. There is a keyboard shortcut for startups.

If you air start rather than start on the ramp or runway, most aircraft have all the combat switches in the correct positions, which leaves most aircraft ready to fly air-to-air as easy as SF2.

Some aircraft are extraordinarily complex. There is no getting around all the button pushing. Particularly modern glass cockpit aircraft which have multiple MFDs plus a good amount of conventional switches and buttons.

The A-10C and F-16C are the most complex to me. In theory, the F/A-18 is just as complex with all the displays, buttons, and switches. But I find that the F/A-18 can be flown mostly from the HOTAS and feels almost as easy as the F-5 with more power and better radar/weapons.

The MiG-21 cockpit is intimidating, but the startup isn't too bad and there aren't many switches you need in combat. If you air start or use the startup shortcut, it only needs a little more effort than the other aircraft.

I mostly fly everything from the F-86/MiG-15 to the F-14A. I prefer the SF generation of aircraft and these are they. I also fly the WW2 aircraft, but not as often as I really enjoy the Korea to mid 70s jets. The UH-1H is possibly the most fun module in the game. Once startup is accomplished, weapons are armed, and the gunsight is down and on, it is all about the stick, collective, and rotor pedals. I am not sure how difficult it would be for you using a twist stick and throttle.

If you already have the hardware to run and play DCS, you don't have to waste time asking about it. You can fly each module for 2 weeks for free. Given the number of modules available, you could keep yourself busy for free for many months if you don't start the next module until you finish the two weeks for the current one.

Also, the A-4E-C Skyhawk is available for free. It is a little harder to fly than an SF2 A-4, but it is amazing. At this point, it is as good or better than most of the payware mods. The A-4 is actually helping DCS sell more modules. People that join the Forgotten's Vietnam server to try out the Skyhawk usually end up buying the UH-1H and/or F-5E after seeing what DCS is like and all the fun those aircraft can have in a good environment.

• Like 1

^Good points about the UH-1H. Another plus for DCS is they have true helicopter flight models. 

I only know two sims with really great helo flight models: DCS:World and Aerofly FS 2. Aerofly FS 2 has a lot of limitations compared to X-Plane and MSFS variants, but it is strong in VR with steady max FPS even with maxed out graphics settings and the helos it comes with plus a free Westland Lynx mod are directly comparable to DCS helos. I spent many years looking for a good helo simulator. DCS won the race, but Aerofly FS 2 matched them.

For the record, I have flown DCS World multiplayer missions with some real Army UH-1 pilots and they say DCS is impressive, but is actually harder to fly than the real one: i.e. it is easier to get into vortex ring state (the helo equivalent to stalling/departing controlled flight). The Mi-8 and Mi-24 have a very different feel and are amazing, too. The one with the least realistic flight model is the Gazelle, but its lightweight, super-responsive controls make it fun to fly in contrast to the UH-1 and Russian helos.

It is hard to beat the OFP/ArmA series for helo missions, but the flight models are utter crap in comparison to DCS. DCS supports many of the same mission types as OFP/ArmA, but aren't as immersive due to invisible passengers. If you can get your axis curves tuned right, OFP ArmA feels a lot better and the new ArmA 3 Vietnam DLC is absolutely amazing for UH-1 and AH-1 missions. But DCS and Aerofly FS 2 have VR. Once you have flown helos with a realistic flight model in VR, you will never want to fly helos on a flat panel monitor with a crappy FM. Vietnam type missions with rockets, miniguns, door guns, and deployable squads is an incredibly immersive experience in DCS World with VR. I am a huge fan of flying air-to-air combat with jets like the F-5, MiG-21, F-86, and MiG-15, but UH-1 missions are by far the most fun and immersive, especially in a multiplayer with a group of player flown UH-1s flying NOE down a river valley through hostile territory. I flew one mission where there were about 8 or 10 player flown UH-1s and many of them had human co-pilots and door gunners. The voice chatter combined with the visuals provided immersion beyond anything OFP/ArmA had ever given me.

• Like 1

On 11/30/2021 at 3:08 AM, FalconC45 said:

3. How is the offline AI in DCS. Does the DCS AI cheat? I heard that they put blindspots in the AI's aircraft so players can use real bounce tactics against them.

A really weak area - may depend on the level and what you do but Ace level cheats 100% and is laughably naff however because it cheats it can be more challenging. You don't want his behavior in offline campaigns.............so when that is there it really spoils an otherwise very well made thing.