I'm finally about to bite the bullet and dive into DCS.    I think I'm gonna wait for the F-4E to come out, but I'm trying to find out what A/I computer controlled aircraft come with DCS:World 2.7.  All I can find is the vague, "...and 84 AI aircraft...."

If Im getting the F-4, I'm wanting to go up against her historic rivals, MiG-17, -21, -23, -25 and some Su's.  Are those included in the '84 AI aircraft'?  I know there's a Mig-21 you can buy but I'd rather not have to pay for a jet just so the computer can fly it.  

Also, if I get World 2.7, do I also need to get the Flaming Cliffs 3 module?  Does 2.7 include the FC3 aircraft and terrains?  I'm trying to find info in the DCS forums but there's so much there to go through I get lost down tangent rabbit holes.

Also (part 2) I'm trying to decide on either the F-14, F-16, or FA-18 if the F-4 takes too long to come out.  Any ideas?  Which terrains do ya'll like best?

Thanks for all the info in advance

B

The AI aircraft of DCS were originally a holdover from LOMAC/Flaming Cliffs... which did not have the MiG-21 at all!

Most newer AI aircraft are variants of new flyable aircraft. i.e. the MiG-21bis.

The MiG-17 does not exist yet, but the MiG-15bis does a fair job of standing in for the MiG-17.

For Russians/USSR there is the MiG-15bis, MiG-19P, MiG-21bis, MiG-23MLD, MiG-25PD, MiG-25RBT, MiG-27K, MiG-29A, MiG-29G (luftwaffe), MiG-29K, MiG-29S, MiG-31, Su-17M4, Su-24M, Su-24MR, Su-25, Su-25T, Su-25TM, Su-27, Su-30, Su-33, Su-39, Il-76MD, Il-78M, Tu-22M3, Tu-95MS,  Tu-142, and Tu-160.

Player flyable MiG-17 and MiG-23MLA are supposedly on the way, no way to know when if ever they will be finished/released.

So just to clarify.

if I want to fly the upcoming Corsair against Axis aircraft such as FW-190 or BF-109 in historically correct environment I would have to :

1. Install DCS (no cost)

2. Purchase the 190 and /or the  109

3.Purchase the aircraft I want to fly against OR purchase an assets/ theater of operations package that contains the desired AI aircraft.

Correct?

Whatever the answer I suspect similar process if I want to fly expected F-4 against MiG-21 or 23 ?

Edited by Sheriff

1 Yes

2. You only purchase the modules you want to fly. All the ED AI planes are included I think. Example I never bought the FW-190D but can put it in missions and campaigns for AI use.

3. Further purchases of single player campaigns, Maps (e.g. Normandy), and probably the WWII asset pack will be needed.

There is no historical accuracy in the base game especially with WWII it is mostly a sandbox. WWII is very minor in DCS but there is one good multiplayer (4YA) server at least that do that if you like that sort of thing. There are some good single player campaigns for specific aircraft you can buy. It will be limited to the available maps and very small planeset.

On 25/8/2022 at 5:14 PM, streakeagle said:

The AI aircraft of DCS were originally a holdover from LOMAC/Flaming Cliffs... which did not have the MiG-21 at all!

Most newer AI aircraft are variants of new flyable aircraft. i.e. the MiG-21bis.

The MiG-17 does not exist yet, but the MiG-15bis does a fair job of standing in for the MiG-17.

For Russians/USSR there is the MiG-15bis, MiG-19P, MiG-21bis, MiG-23MLD, MiG-25PD, MiG-25RBT, MiG-27K, MiG-29A, MiG-29G (luftwaffe), MiG-29K, MiG-29S, MiG-31, Su-17M4, Su-24M, Su-24MR, Su-25, Su-25T, Su-25TM, Su-27, Su-30, Su-33, Su-39, Il-76MD, Il-78M, Tu-22M3, Tu-95MS,  Tu-142, and Tu-160.

Player flyable MiG-17 and MiG-23MLA are supposedly on the way, no way to know when if ever they will be finished/released.

The REDFOR AI units has comming when 3rd Parties release them:

• ED has building a Mig-29A Full Fidelity module, surely "suppress" the actual FC-3 Mig-29A AI. We expected ED will build version of other FC-3 style REDFOR FF modules on a future as Su-25A and Su-27P. Meanwhile old LOMAC/FC IA units has on progress to update them to the same standard as B-52/B-1B & S-3B.
  • Has "rumors" about Crosstail Studios, actualy making a A-1H Skyrider, will make a Su-17M3 on a future.
  • Deka has building a J-8PP and a J-8B IA
  • Optopus-G has building a La-7, and plan a So-2 and a Su-22M
  • RAZBAM has building a Mig-23MLA, has some rumors about a Mig-19S "planned" but not confirmed yet.
  • Red Storm Simulation has building a Mig-17F

Remember General Flight Model has on develop by ED, Old video.

2 hours ago, SilverDragon said:

The REDFOR AI units has comming when 3rd Parties release them:

• ED has building a Mig-29A Full Fidelity module, surely "suppress" the actual FC-3 Mig-29A AI. We expected ED will build version of other FC-3 style REDFOR FF modules on a future as Su-25A and Su-27P. Meanwhile old LOMAC/FC IA units has on progress to update them to the same standard as B-52/B-1B & S-3B.
  • Has "rumors" about Crosstail Studios, actualy making a A-1H Skyrider, will make a Su-17M3 on a future.
  • Deka has building a J-8PP and a J-8B IA
  • Optopus-G has building a La-7, and plan a So-2 and a Su-22M
  • RAZBAM has building a Mig-23MLA, has some rumors about a Mig-19S "planned" but not confirmed yet.
  • Red Storm Simulation has building a Mig-17F

Remember General Flight Model has on develop by ED, Old video.

The MiG-19S was promised before the MiG-19P was ever released. It is kind of like waiting for the early F-14A and the AI J35 Draken from Heatblur. DCS developers have a habit of promising more than they can deliver in a reasonable amount of time. At least some eventually deliver, like RAZBAM and Heatblur. The MiG-17F is sorely needed for 1960s historical conflicts in Vietnam and Israel, both for AI opposition and PVP. But I will have more fun with the MiG-23, which is essentially a single engine, single seat F-4 Phantom with less drag, more power, and half the armament.