allenjb42

Does uninstalling the game wipe out the mod folder?

My computer hung when loading a mission, so I came out of the game and then restarted. Now the communication menu to my wingman and flight doesn't come up when I hit the tab key. And it doesn't work in any of my installs (I'm running the Complete edition).

If I uninstall and then reinstall what happens to my Mod folder?

Has anyone else come across this issue, and if so did you fix it without reinstalling?

Help!

Can you map it to another key and does it work?

Is SF being run as admin?

If you copy an exe from the main install and call it Allen1 then run it - it will create a new mod folder called Allen1 - so you could try that and see if tab still works in the new game.

for reinstall - best would be to make a copy of your mod folders as backups before you do anything.

After reinstall create new empty mod folders by running the relevant exes 

You may be able to copy most of the files back in - but I think the Aircraft folders may need to be done individually.

If it is not done properly the game will copy all the default aircraft into the Aircraft folder after you put in the mods - which might cause problems.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The game and mod folder are completely portable. But you need to run the game first from new place once with backed up mod folder or the game rewrite some moded aircrafts with default ones.

For example you move from C:\Games\SF2\SF2_mymod.exe to F:\Games\SF2\SF2_mymod.exe

You need to rename temporary C:\Users\allen\Saved Games\ThirdWire\SF2_mymod\ to ..\!!!!___SF2_mymod\ run the game once and delete new made by the game SF2_mymod

and after that delet "!!!!___" and game will find all your mods not touced. If you are moving modfolder you need to fix the way at Options.ini

as i seethe  game rewrite itself in windoas register without installing. Just need to run.  I moved that way from my PC to my Laptop and back my SF2 game and modfolder.

i think your problem is not connected with installing or reinstalling game. Something updated or changed in windows or antivirus. Jusy my opinion

• Thanks 1

best to back up the mod folder as best ya can as there is no equivalent to BAT from Il2 46

So it’s not a keyboard issue. The tab key works fine in excel and other programs.

I tried reassigning the communication menu to another key and still didn’t work.

I just uninstalled and reinstalled and ran a clean SF2 and the function still doesn’t work.

@bazillius I fear you may be right. What do you suggest I do next? 

9 hours ago, allenjb42 said:

@bazillius I fear you may be right. What do you suggest I do next? 

i have no idea. it needs to think what you installed last or which program can catch the tab button instead SF2. it needs to find what have been changed in your system. Try tu turn off everything possible before starting SF. i think some program catch tab button. In my life there was an incident with a game Deus ex. After Windows 10 auto updating the saves of the game stoped loading. i was very sad cuz it was the end of the game soon so i was not happy to start it again. i rolled back update and finished the game and installed update again. Dificult to say whats with your case. It needs experimenting.

• Thanks 1

Try to delete this folder with controls setting and let the game to do it again with defoult buttons

C:\Users\bazillius\Saved Games\ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2 NATO Fighters Plus\Controls\

your way, sure, not mine

but you will need to remap all buttons.

or just back this folder somewhere up

Edited by bazillius
  • Thanks 1