Sign in to follow this  
muhammad

Cockpit/Clouds Shadows

Hi everyone!

Is there any way to make cockpit objects cast shadows in Cockpit views?

and

Is there any way to make clouds cast shadows on scenery?

These stuff will definitely change the game experience.

I don't think so, that property must be included by the game's graphics engine... since the programming code is still closed, all you see here are just modifications on what the graphics engine offers.

Edited by PeacePuma

Okay, well the Razbam A-6E cockpit actually has moving shadows. A-6A, A-6C do not, but the A-6E does. It blew me away when I first saw it. As you turned, the cockpit frame cast a moving shadow over the panel. It's awesome. If you know how to dig into LODs and stuff, which I don't, you might find out how they did it. 

Did I mention that it's awesome?

• Like 1

On 1/29/2023 at 3:10 PM, alexis99 said:

Okay, well the Razbam A-6E cockpit actually has moving shadows. A-6A, A-6C do not, but the A-6E does. It blew me away when I first saw it. As you turned, the cockpit frame cast a moving shadow over the panel. It's awesome. If you know how to dig into LODs and stuff, which I don't, you might find out how they did it. 

Did I mention that it's awesome?

You were right

it's all about LODs

I'm making a new Topic for it

"moving shadow" ? :) What's a "moving shadow" ? Some technicalities: there's no such thing. It's dynamic shadows, if any, and it must be included in game's graphics engine.

A moving shadow is a shadow that moves.  You see a shadow in the cockpit and as you turn the aircraft the shadow moves across the cockpit. It's pretty basic stuff.

On 9/5/2023 at 11:35 AM, alexis99 said:

A moving shadow is a shadow that moves.  You see a shadow in the cockpit and as you turn the aircraft the shadow moves across the cockpit. It's pretty basic stuff.

Really ?  LOOOL Well then you must right away correct those... stupid hardware engineers that gave it that ugly name in allover articles and books: "dynamic shadow" :)

Aaaa almost forgot, and please let them know it's pretty basic stuff , too, will you ? ;)

Edited by UllyB

The topic is about casting shadows and moving shadows. It's a description of something one sees in real life. If the technical term in games is dynamic shadows, then thanks for sharing. In the real world we call them moving shadows.

If you're watching the sun going down over a beautiful vista, you might say to your girlfriend "Look how the shadows are moving as the sun descends".

A nerd would say "Cool dynamic shadows". But he wouldn't have a girl next to him to say it to.

• Haha 1

Those engineers I mentioned, by the way, they, too, live in the...real world you're talking about. Did you know that ? No, a nerd would not say that ever. A nerd would just look and keep his mouth shut asking himself how the heck did he wind up with your there.LOL