Hi all, as the title suggests I'm experiencing low frame rates when the game is busy, e.g. over Hanoi. I assume this is due to the number of assets being rendered. The thing is, I shouldn't have any problems, my PC runs MSFS at 100fps, and current AAA games no problem, so I guess this is an issue with how the game allocates memory. It has always happened to me but notably in tonight's session where I restarted the machine (due to the game not recognising my keyboard), and had no other programs running, and especially not Chrome.

Is there some kind of "fix" for this, if it's a known problem?

I mean it is an old game, but then again modern computers can run it fine. Did it just start doing it?

32 minutes ago, EricJ said:

I mean it is an old game, but then again modern computers can run it fine. Did it just start doing it?

It's always done it over Hanoi when there's a lot of AA and SAMs firing. I don't get frame drops on anything else, including ray traced AAA games :stars:

Posted (edited)

Ahh yeah man, looks like Hanoi is kicking your computer's ass. I mean I fly modern Hanoi and not that many AAA though, so I don't get a frame hit like you do. I do get more lethal SAMs (SA-10s and the like) but looks like you're not going to get any relief flying north. And yeah it's the computer rendering and computing all those equations to shoot you down (as well as friendlies). Not much I can do for you, unfortunately. You could remove some sites, but that's all I can suggest to help.

Edited by EricJ

Possible it is getting bottlenecked by not being optimised for some of the modern hardware features yes.

I would try running at lower fps - I only go to 60 but less fps uses less resource.

Further mitigation could be changing other options in the 3D settings (e.g. NVIDIA control panel if you have that) - but will be trial and error as to what works on your specific setup as always.

Then maybe lower some of the in game settings and try that out.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MigBuster said:

Possible it is getting bottlenecked by not being optimised for some of the modern hardware features yes.

I would try running at lower fps - I only go to 60 but less fps uses less resource.

Further mitigation could be changing other options in the 3D settings (e.g. NVIDIA control panel if you have that) - but will be trial and error as to what works on your specific setup as always.

Then maybe lower some of the in game settings and try that out.

How do you limit the game to no more than 60 fps?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, dtmdragon said:

How do you limit the game to no more than 60 fps?

In NVIDIA control panel

Max Frame Rate

Depends on hardware but can also try Vertical Sync Adaptive (Half refresh Rate)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MigBuster said:

In NVIDIA control panel

Max Frame Rate

Depends on hardware but can also try Vertical Sync Adaptive (Half refresh Rate)

Thanks MB. I found the setting and have set to max 60 - will let you know how it goes. I didn't have the option for VS Adaptive (RTX4070).