Sign in to follow this  
Gepard

How many TOD objects are possible per tile?

I made an experiment. For this i used Mue's powerfull TOD editor . Thanks for this tool Mue!

First i set a line of 10 tod buildings (solid objects, stock ones).

Then i copied this line and pasted it 9 times below the first line. So i got a block of 100 tod buildings.

This block i copied and pasted it 9 times. So i got 10 blocks, each with 100 buildings = 1.000 tod objects.

In game it looked so:

img00395.thumb.JPG.1eb03f0c59cf4fb3b6411f6fd86ebde8.JPG

In result the game engine showed the first 5 blocks completly and of the sixt block 47 buildings. The other 4 blocks completely disappear.  If i have calculated correct, it are 547 tod buildings (solid objects).

Then i tried to do the same with tod trees (alpha objects)

Again i set 10 blocks, each with 100 trees. The result was different:

img00396.thumb.JPG.488a2a9165f4d3d05d5a5bd07c0c78ad.JPG

I got all 10 blocks visible in game, but in each block some trees were missing. It seems to be, that there is no scheme, which trees are not to see. The missing trees seems to be missing by random.

As result i would say, that the maximum of solid objects (tod buildings) is 547. For alpha objects the number is still unknown. You may place 1.000 trees, but some would not appear in game.

Further tests are neccessary.

• Like 2

Hello, I have tested TOD editing a fair bit when i was working on the "dense cities" mod for Green Hell 3.5

As far as im aware the hard limit is based on vertices on a single TOD that limit being somewhere around 9000 VERTICES* (not Tris, yes.)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

What i would suggest you do is experiment with the upper limit on vertices through the TOD editor so we have a clear idea on what the limit really is you can check this through the tod editor i would send a screenshot but im 200kms away from my computer

to the extent of my knowledge its somewhere between 9-10k vertices

Edited by TaktischesGenie

somwhere's after 600-ish (both solids and alphas) they stop showing. at least, that's what I've seen with the 3w terrain editor. I haven't used Mue's editor yet.

edit: checking some tod inis in several of my TE inistall, I found one with 690 objects (combined). I know that one works

Wrench, If you look to the second screenshot you can see 547 solid (buildings) and approx. 800 alpha (tree) objects visible at the same time. Perhaps the limit has something to do with the settings in the terrains data.ini?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

[TerrainMesh]
TextureThreshold=0.80
LowDetailMeshThreshold=0.9
MedDetailMeshThreshold=0.8
TileToHeightGridRatio=8
RenderMeshVertexCount=16384   
RenderMeshIndexCount= 16384              
//SolidObjectVertexCount=0    
//SolidObjectIndexCount=0           
SolidObjectVertexCount=4096   
SolidObjectIndexCount=8192                
AlphaObjectVertexCount=36864     
AlphaObjectIndexCount=36864    

This seems to be good for about 1500 Alpha objects ( trees ) for me.. 

Per tile that is.

Edited by Sundowner
Addition
  • Like 2

It seems you all ignored the post by @TaktischesGenie, which actually is the correct answer. Even if you mod the VertexCount values in the data.ini, it seems the game is hardcoded to only show a maximum of roughly 9k-10k vertices. It's not about the number of objects; simpler objects have less vertices than more complex ones. It's a matter of finding a compromise in order to populate a tile as best as possible.

• Like 4